It's a miracle! Do you have similar stories?

RPSharman

So...

My very first or second feature as a mixer (about 6 years ago) - "The Uninvited" - Just sent me a check for payment of points! I think I was given some rental for the 12-day shoot, but I honestly don't remember. My profit participation you ask? $28.00

I just think it's awesome that they took the trouble to do it. Honestly, who would have known?

Robert

Benji is always referred to as the movie that actually paid off...

Yes, I'd definitely give that payment a miracle ranking, but the modest amount gives me the feeling that someone made a lot more than that! There might be some more to this, such as did the show get organized at all?? bought by a "player" ??

Did some jobs with InDigEnt that left me with points in their projects for which I usually get a check or two per year for each.

Always nice pocket money.

Also got several thousands when a picture was discovered to have gone way over their declared budget.

-- Jan

• 2 months later...

The first indie feature I worked on as a sound mixer is finally getting released on DVD this month. (They "say.") I'll believe it when I see it. It's been finished for at least 3 years... *sigh*

It's sad, the number of indie films that kind of flounder when it comes to getting actual release. I know of at least dozen that I worked on in post (in the last five years) that are still sitting on the shelf. Some of them were pretty good, too, though most range from marginal to god-awful.

--Marc W.

My mother is a composer, and here in the UK, the PRS (Performing Rights Society) send out payments I think it is twice a year for her payments. She always regarded this money as unexpected bonus money, and that it should be spent on the family. Usually we would go out for a meal. Some of those meals were absolute slap up, go to London town and splash out affairs, others were take home fish and chips from the end of the road. All of the meals were eaten with Chamagne, even the fish and chips. They were very special family moments, and they are some of my findest memories.

There was one time when Mum got a payment for I think it was just 2 pennies - they sent a cheque!! We had fish and chips that night, which my dad paid for, and Mum framed the cheque!!!

Kindest regards to all,

sb

A couple of years ago I was posting a spot where about half the action takes place in a spooky abandoned parking garage. Pix had cut in some echoey footsteps, but it wasn't spooky enough. I suggested flying in some bongo drum hits arhythmically... just as mood punctuations. Grabbed a few mfx from Soundminer, dropped them in, and client liked them.

Six months later I got a reuse fee for the "music" I had composed!

I was booked to do a big bubbly wine TVC a few years ago, a 5 day shoot in the country at an old villa that looked passable for the real French one. My boom op and I arrived on location at 7am after an hours drive over the mountain range.

I walked up to the Director and said,....Hi what's our first set up? He said Hi B,what are you doing here? I said we have been booked for the full 5 days of your shoot....He sighed and said...There's no sound for this commercial, its all jingle...

My boom op and I laughed all the way home on our full cancellation fees...

Apparently the Production Manager had booked us "just in case"....

BVS