DPA lavs

soundtrane

I recently spoke to a guy who got'em all and places the 4071 above the others (but it's a little bigger).

I personnaly use the 4063s so I can't compare; just report what the guy told me...

The advantage with the 4071 is that the DPA mounts for the lavs have been designed for this model.

I slice off a little bit of the top of my mounts to fit'em a little better with my 4063s.

There's an effective difference when you swap the caps; I like it and the best sound (to me) is with the cap that covers the less the tip of mic. But more sensible to wind then...

I don't remember if the 4071 has swappable caps.

I recently spoke to a guy who got'em all and places the 4071 above the others (but it's a little bigger).

I personnaly use the 4063s so I can't compare; just report what the guy told me...

The advantage with the 4071 is that the DPA mounts for the lavs have been designed for this model.

I slice off a little bit of the top of my mounts to fit'em a little better with my 4063s.

There's an effective difference when you swap the caps; I like it and the best sound (to me) is with the cap that covers the less the tip of mic. But more sensible to wind then...

I don't remember if the 4071 has swappable caps.

you can get concealers for the 4063, but they are a bit tricky to find on the dpa website - it usually takes me a couple of gos

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=128&item=24198

i used to have some 4071's. their caps are glued on.

the difference between the 4060 and the 4061 is the sensitivity - the higher the number of the model, the lower the output. the 4061 (and 4063 which has the same spec as the 4061 apart from its lower working voltage to suit zaxcom mics) seems to be the preferred choice for most users on this group.

the 4061 will also fit in the boundary adapter which is sometimes a useful option for car scenes if you dont have a cub to hand.

If you are hiding DPA's then the 4071 has a presence boost and an acoustically designed bass cut..that is its in the design of the capsule structure...it has an opening around the base that allows for air movement....an analogy would be blowing over the top of a bottle to get it resonating...with the opening it doesn't have that...its a lovely sounding mic...

BVS

I finally had a chance to use my 4063 yesterday. It was a sit down interview in a hotel room, male talent. Lav was exposed but out of frame (TRX900). Sounded very full and matched the CMC641 beautifully, though the 641 was far quieter/less hiss. This could have been due to the microdot to lemo adapter though.

Still haven't played with concealing it underneath clothing yet...

I've been testing out the 4060s for a few weeks now after using cos-11s for the most part. My initial feeling is that they are somewhat more natural sounding than the cos-11, however they don't seem to have the low end response of the cos-11, at least not when you're required to mount the mic lower than normal (think ladies low cut top). I would describe the mids and highs as being very rich and detailed.. even bordering on harsh at times. I really don't see a need for either of the high boost caps, actually If not under a shirt or two I think they sound a little too bright. They also sound somewhat more compressed to my ear than the cos-11 which seems a little more 'airy', though not nearly as compressed sounding as say, a tram. I think I will be A/B-ing back and forth for awhile yet.

Lot of totally subjective terms there!

I've been testing out the 4060s for a few weeks now after using cos-11s for the most part. My initial feeling is that they are somewhat more natural sounding than the cos-11, however they don't seem to have the low end response of the cos-11, at least not when you're required to mount the mic lower than normal (think ladies low cut top). I would describe the mids and highs as being very rich and detailed.. even bordering on harsh at times. I really don't see a need for either of the high boost caps, actually If not under a shirt or two I think they sound a little too bright. They also sound somewhat more compressed to my ear than the cos-11 which seems a little more 'airy', though not nearly as compressed sounding as say, a tram. I think I will be A/B-ing back and forth for awhile yet.

Lot of totally subjective terms there!

If you're going to conceal the mic under clothing definitely get the 4071 with the presence boost! The 4060 loses way too much presence when under clothing, whereas exposed it sounds very natural and has a good low end.

I am using DPA 4071 with SMV/SMQV and thay have really rich and powerful sound , sometimes it seems that thay play better than COS 11. But after exactly one year of using I started to have a problem with a cable , and with the very end of the cable closed to the connector . It is very sensitive. Definitely a more sensitive than COS 11. I think with combination of does two lav's you are perfect setup for really serious sound :) And I think that when there is no boom around , DPA 4071 will sound "all most" like a boom . Also good paring with CMIT 5u.

Best

Novica Jankov

" started to have a problem with a cable , and with the very end of the cable closed to the connector "

you should fix this

Definitely , I am sending them to the DPA service for sure. They are great lav's , now I know that they need little more care.

Novica