Filenames without slate/scene/take/

I do both post and location sound and have found a lot of convenience in the files being named as per take/shot - It's a huge help when searching for alts etc in post - I know I've found it a real time sucker when the files aren't named as such - especially if the sound log is hard to read - I would consider it poor form not to provide files named with slate and take

I do both post and location sound and have found a lot of convenience in the files being named as per take/shot - It's a huge help when searching for alts etc in post - I know I've found it a real time sucker when the files aren't named as such - especially if the sound log is hard to read - I would consider it poor form not to provide files named with slate and take

I also do post and location work (how ever it's been 2 years since I was out there were the action is)

The project that I'm working on right know doing dialogue editing I found the meta data to be a tremendous help...

In ProTools there is a "Match take" function witch speeds up the process of alternative takes.

I know that naming files is time consuming depending on the type of production and media you record to... but if possible it's a great helper since the time in post is also very limited on most productions. And chances are that the good take will be used when post have the extra help!

Of course if the choice is good sounding tracks VS lots of meta data... Never mind!

But with products like CL-WIFI Interface for SD naming is possible even on the faster type of productions.

Scene, slate, tk... and the track name (name of the character) is the biggest luxury you can get doing editing.

//Christian Holm

You can do it on SD788 (DD/edit/rename) during recording. But only for the current recording, not for the next take.

Vinc.

Yes the 788T can edit metadata for previous, current and next takes during recording across all media simultaneously. As far as editing the NEXT take whilst recording a current take, the CL-Wifi allows you to edit track names, notes and take number. To edit scene name of Next take you must be stopped - that is the only limitation and one that only affects the Next take.

Paul

• 5 months later...

Yes the 788T can edit metadata for previous, current and next takes during recording across all media simultaneously. As far as editing the NEXT take whilst recording a current take, the CL-Wifi allows you to edit track names, notes and take number. To edit scene name of Next take you must be stopped - that is the only limitation and one that only affects the Next take.

Paul

Thanks Paul, it does however make me nervous editing whilst recording. Are there circumstances in which one might be pushing the limits of the processor and/or media to accommodate all this activity? Also I don't quite understand your statement, does the limitation of not being able to edit scene name of Next take only apply when recording AND using CL-Wifi?

I'll experiment with this myself later when I get the chance but as I say I've restrained myself when working, not wanting to cause a lockup of any kind.

thanks

Mick

On the Cantar the file numbering proceeds in an ascending order as one would expect.

Numbering also relates to whether the file is a collection of mono tracks (Cantar native) or whether they have been bundled to a poly file.

For instance, here are the file numbers from a project:

DV2875_1.WAV

DV2875_2.WAV

DV2875_3.WAV

DV2875_4.WAV

DV2875_5.WAV

DV2875_6.WAV

DV2875_7.WAV

DV2875_8.WAV

This sequence represents tracks one through eight of file DV2875. It is followed immediately by:

DV2876_1.WAV

through

DV2876_8.WAV

The same audio as poly files was represented as:

DV2875PR.WAV

and

DV2876PR.WAV

The "PR" stands for the Cantar "Poly-Rotate" function wherein the track order is rotated so that tracks 7&8, normally mix tracks on the Cantar, are moved into the position of tracks 1&2 to match normal protocol here.

Although tracks are written to the internal hard drive as mono files, they may be output to the mirror drive as either mono or poly or both. In the example above, two folders of files were generated in the mirror function at the same time.

In brief, yes, the file numbers do increment logically and one would be able to search for a file using the numbers as a reference. Take 2876 will follow 2875 and be followed itself by 2877.

David