Zaxcom ZFR100 question

Tapio

Hi,

I recently (well, today...) bought a slightly used Zaxcom XFR100 with STA150 stereo adapter included. Everything seems to be working properly but the red/green indicator LED gets me a bit confused.

When I turn power on (SD card properly in place), the LED turns on in red - even though it's not recording. According to the user manual it should be green when in PLAY / STOP mode.

Any ideas? A bad SD card maybe? (The machine does record clips on the card though.)

-Tapio

There is a factory setup menu for the LED. It is normaly green and flashes red when recording. If it is the other way around we can talk you through it.

Glenn

Thank you all for your replies! Yes, it stays red after powering on and turns green (with red intermittently blinking) while recording. I haven't done the firmware update yet but I'll do it now.

How do I get to the factory setup menu? I found the extended menu (hold menu while turning power on) but I found nothing there.

I'm supposed to use that recorded tomorrow placed into a F1 race boat with SD 302. 788 would have been too big and maybe a bit overkill there.. :)

(Edit: I updated the firmware to V7-30 but the led still stays red even when I'm not recording.)

-Tapio

How do I get to the factory setup menu? I found the extended menu (hold menu while turning power on) but I found nothing there.

I don't own an ZRF100 - but if the menu structure is anything like the TRX (which I think it is) when you get to the factory menu home screen press the up arrow and it should take you to the extended menu.

I don't own an ZRF100 - but if the menu structure is anything like the TRX (which I think it is) when you get to the factory menu home screen press the up arrow and it should take you to the extended menu.

Thanks! The menu structure propably is very similar to TRX units. Just one stupid question: how do I get to "the factory menu home screen" in the first place? Or do you mean the standard display with timecode and track number? Or maybe the boot-up display with serial numbers and firmware versions?

Thanks! The menu structure propably is very similar to TRX units. Just one stupid question: how do I get to "the factory menu home screen" in the first place? Or do you mean the standard display with timecode and track number? Or maybe the boot-up display with serial numbers and firmware versions?

Try powering up the unit while holding down the Menu button. The unit should display "factory menu". And you will know that you are in the "extended menu" because the unit will say extended menu.

Try powering up the unit while holding down the Menu button. The unit should display "factory menu". And you will know that you are in the "extended menu" because the unit will say extended menu.

Tried that and the unit goes straight into "Extended menu". Up arrow makes the unit exit from that menu altogether. I also tried powering up with menu and a comination of other buttons pressed but got no luck with any kind of "factory setup menu". Thank you anyway for your help!

So I just looked at the ZFR manual on line and it appears that there is only an extended menu and the standard menu available to the user. So perhaps the "factory menu" that Glenn posted about is something that is not generally meant for user access and is there for actual factory settings. And I would guess that a Zaxcom tech would be able to talk you through accessing this menu, and making the adjustments, over the phone. So to take a line from the Senator its time to contact the manufacture.

I finally found my way into that "secret" menu and setting. The indicator LED works properly now and so does the rest of the recorder.

And the gig went well too! ZFR100 was perfect for that job with extremely little room inside the F1 boat cabin and 6 G's force while driving full speed. ;) (No, I was not on board.. :) )

Thanks to everyone who helped me to find that menu setting! What a great forum full of professionals!

-Tapio

Yes.. what is the secret....

I got my instructions via PM and I'm not sure whether they were ment to be posted in public or not. The factory setup menu looks quite cryptic so my guess is that it's mostly intended for people who repair these machines.

Maybe Glenn or someone other at Zaxcom could join the conversation in if they want to reveal the "secret" in public?

-Tapio

I got my instructions via PM and I'm not sure whether they were ment to be posted in public or not. The factory setup menu looks quite cryptic so my guess is that it's mostly intended for people who repair these machines.

Maybe Glenn or someone other at Zaxcom could join the conversation in if they want to reveal the "secret" in public?

-Tapio

Most of the Zaxcom gear has a deep a down engineering menu that has no real user settings. Most of these settings are just numbers and with out a special decoder ring it is all gibberish code. Often if any of these setting are changed and not put back correctly you can totally screw up your unit and will most likely require a trip back to the factory to correct it.

• 1 year later...

A couple of questions - i have the same issue as the OP and so will <hat> but i also wondered if the answer could be shared here, and also can anyone tell me where to get the latest firmware for my zfr100; the Zaxcom support site no longer lists it on their updates page. Any ideas where i can get it now?

No, i think you're right - that is exactly what it says in the manual, but then is later corrected by firmware updates. Before the updates i couldn't use anything other than the original recommended list, but you know how these Zaxcom units evolve before your very eyes...