Fake Sony MDR-7506 headphones -- Beware

Marc Wielage

Seeing people promoting the Pearstone earpads in this thread is rather Ironic given the topic at hand -- since they're knock-offs of the Beyer cushions.

I did not know Pearstone was a B&H brand. They have their own website and look like a legit company.

Unlike the mob that make the fake 7506's.

I was simply suggesting the Pearstone velour earpads since the thread kinda went that way. I'll delete my post if you want?

However, I will say this. I dont see Pearstone as a fake company like the makers of the 7506.

They are no different to any other after market product (e.g products for cars). They make a line of products that are branded as Pearstone not like the fake 7506 that is labelled and marked as Sony. This mob is trying to fool buyers that they are buying the real 7506's.

Pearstone make it clear you are buying Pearstone. Their earpad is not labelled as Beyer or Sony.

If the fake 7506's were labelled and markings on the box were say, SANY or SOONY or SUNY, it would be clear they are not the real thing and people would simply not buy them.

I dont see Pearstone as a company who is trying to "pull the wool over our eyes" like the makers of the fake 7506.

I would never buy anything electronic (including headphones) that is a copy but but simple earpads, come on!!

BTW, I also use many K-tek products, including the K-GPS mounts and I recently purchased the real "suspenders" for it.

Cheers

Peter Mega

PS. The last pair of 7506's I bought said "Made In Thailand" but they are real thing. No dodginess like the ones in the video

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in rural China last month and I loved it and my advice to western people is to not believe every horror tale the media tells about China. My impression is that the media are quite biased when it comes to China (as they are supposed to be our "enemy" in economic terms). Chinese themselves, I was told there, don't buy fake. The fake stuff is usually because there is a demand in Europe and America. They just make them.

I better add that the Pearstone velour pads (haven't tried the standard ones) have proven to be very durable also. They are tricky to fit, just like the original Sony earpads, but once they're on, they're on.

I'm not poo poo-ing the originals, just sayin.

Cheers

Peter Mega

There is a huge, and usually noticeable, difference between a "house brand's", generic lowercost alternatives (CalRad, Hosa, etc) and counterfeit knockoff's.

Actually, Mike, since you're trying so friggin' hard to be the final authoritative word on everything, you should be advised that counterfeits and knockoffs are two different things. A "house brand" that is a copy (the fact that they may not have been sued still does not make it legal, btw) of an existing product is a knockoff. Counterfeits are made to look like they are the actual original product -- such as the fake 7506s that started this thread.

They're both a form of theft if you want to put a fine point on it.

Thanks for that, John....

I used counterfeit as an adjective to describe the knockoff's that (obviously illegally) try to look exactly like "the real deal" (thus counterfeit!), and for variety of wording also referred to the possibly legal, or not, imitators as alternatives; these may (or may not) try to look closely like the original, real deal stuff, but are pretty obviously not the real deal. In other words, and as you said: there are similar, alternative "knock-off's" and there are outright counterfeit "knock-off's".

Well, I got three different Rolex watches + two Tag Heuers and my girlfriend's got four Cartiers...

I got a entire BluRay Special Editor's Collection af every film Hollywood made, I always wear Cardin, Polo, LaCoste or Boss garments to go to work and carry my equipment in Louis Vuiton cases especially tailored for techies on the road.

I'm rich; I'm a soundie ! heehee

Naaaaah

PS: Thanks for the pointer Marc (to get back to square one) !

If the original Sony MDR7506s are supposed to be superior to these 'counterfeits' why hasn't Sony redesigned the earpads.. Can't be too difficult to choose another type of cushion and fabric to cover it with can it? Sure, It's not a big deal to customize them and use pads of another bigname brand, but...

It is also the genuine Sony 7506 headphones where the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter keeps coming apart inside the 1/4" headphone jack!

I hate that. The first thing I do when I get new pairs of 7506's is to remove the 1/8" plug and solder on a 1/4" plug. (Actually, I ask Wilcox to do it, because the Litz wire Sony uses drives me crazy when I have to solder it.) Adapters have a bad habit of getting lost or falling off, in my experience.

--Marc W.

Is that what it's called? Litz wire? How do you solder that stuff?!

I hate that. The first thing I do when I get new pairs of 7506's is to remove the 1/8" plug and solder on a 1/4" plug. (Actually, I ask Wilcox to do it, because the Litz wire Sony uses drives me crazy when I have to solder it.) Adapters have a bad habit of getting lost or falling off, in my experience.

--Marc W.

Is that what it's called? Litz wire? How do you solder that stuff?!

Easy, use a flame from a lighter or match to melt off about 1/4" of the protective varnish type insulation on the wires. Then twist the strands together, tin them and solder away. Once you've done it correctly you'll never have to ask again. :o

Eric

Easy, use a flame from a lighter or match to melt off about 1/4" of the protective varnish type insulation on the wires. Then twist the strands together, tin them and solder away. Once you've done it correctly you'll never have to ask again. :o

Eric

Thank you Mr. Toline! I will try that with a pair of 7502s I've got lying around that need a new connector. Is it easy to apply too much flame? I feel like I might have tried that before with this litz crap and just burned the whole damn wire away. I'll try as you suggest and just try and get the varnish off. Love this forum... What a true dummy I'd be without it.

Dan Izen

I feel like I might have tried that before with this litz crap and just burned the whole damn wire away.

Last time I tried it, I singed my eyebrows and burned up half my kitchen table. Regular wire I can solder. Litz wire and Starquad are very frustrating, enough that I'd rather pay somebody else to do it.

--Marc W.

Last time I tried it, I singed my eyebrows and burned up half my kitchen table. Regular wire I can solder. Litz wire and Starquad are very frustrating, enough that I'd rather pay somebody else to do it.

--Marc W.

You really can't do a pro job on a kitchen table. You need something like this with all the tools.

post-22-0-27457000-1312132294.jpg

Thank you Mr. Toline! I will try that with a pair of 7502s I've got lying around that need a new connector. Is it easy to apply too much flame? I feel like I might have tried that before with this litz crap and just burned the whole damn wire away. I'll try as you suggest and just try and get the varnish off. Love this forum... What a true dummy I'd be without it.

Dan Izen

Dan,

About 2 seconds of flame to the stripped end of the wire is all thats needed. It takes a bit of time to get proficient at working with "litz" wire and it can get expensive replacing headphones that no longer work.because you've ruined the cable. (Shameless self promotion follows): OTOH you can send the job to me & I'll do it right the first time for not a lot of money. Give me a call 954-255-7628.

Eric

<If the original Sony MDR7506s are supposed to be superior to these 'counterfeits' why hasn't Sony redesigned the earpads..>

Ha, you think SONY bothers? And why should they - these hps give them 0.0001% of their total business. And in any case - anyone pro will make out the difference and alert his peers, just as this thread...

-vin

Eric, please build me one of those!

I've seen Eric's "Cabinet" in person - and boy, it's amazing. I do wish i had the time and means (read DIY supplies like Lowes, etc) out here in Bombay to make one of these. Very good utilization of space- a workshop in itself, but when closed, looks like an ordinary cupboard...

-vin

That workstation looks awesome! I have to constantly set up & break down my soldering station...

I think since these 7502 cans are trash anyway I'll just try and try until there's no more cable left, thanks for the tips! This thread really led to something valuable, I bet I can fix em. Hopefully my eyebrows will remain intact. (If I fail utterly I'll post back!)

Dan Izen