Female Reality Mixer - Detroit Local?

In short I am wondering about any females that would be able to work as a Detroit Local early August.

Could go a few weeks to ??

Daily Run and Gun out of a bag but miking female subjects is KEY.

Production has to make decision but I am looking for leads and names to give them.

Thanks in advance

Hugh Holesome

hugh (at) miconastick (dot) com

How can they say we'll only employ a female? Isn't that very similar to saying "we'll only employ white mixers" or "only male sound mixers"? On a side note: Are Trannies allowed to apply? How about super effeminate males? What about Chaz Bono?

Maybe due to religious views of the subjects, they cannot / prefer not to be touched by males, documentary on victims of rape or other sensitive issues, work conditions would perhaps preclude access by male crew, such as female dressing rooms (or female prison!)... When it comes for openings specifically for female crew, especially in a male dominated field, I personally wouldn't feel too slighted if the circumstances had any legitimate reason for such a gender request.

When it comes for openings specifically for female crew, especially in a male dominated field, I personally wouldn't feel too slighted if the circumstances had any legitimate reason for such a gender request.

Me neither to be honest, I just wondered why this job was particularly female only.

They can't find a makeup person or a female PA to assist with putting on the lav?

This sounds borderline discriminatory to me.

I have a situation coming up next week where I'm going to have to put a wire on a 9-year-old girl, and the first thing I told the producer was, "make sure you have a parent or guardian around to assist me on this." We'll see how that goes...

unsure.gif

--Marc W.

I have a situation coming up next week where I'm going to have to put a wire on a 9-year-old girl, and the first thing I told the producer was, "make sure you have a parent or guardian around to assist me on this." We'll see how that goes...

I have a wonderful woman boom op. We always want and ask for wardrobe or the teacher or parent to be around when we wire a child, preteen, teen. That is the new reality and I don't mind. Neither does my boom, Marydixie. It is actually a help. The kid realize this is serious business. Sometimes.

CrewC

I must be a wimp... because I would/could never carry a reality bag. But.. I'd like to meet a woman who could carry this bag.

I can carry it with no problem. Females have strength to now especially if you are use to doing this on a daily. Your body becomes accustomed to it. I have carried bags this heavy and lighter. No biggie to me. I love what I do.

Nicole

Well so much for leads...I feel like I stumbled into a UAW meeting in the 30's!

I'm also stunned at how willing you are to let a "makeup person or PA" mic for you.

I tend to shy away from jobs that offer me a PA to BoomOp, why is this any different?

Why not just give them the whole bag with the instruction "Keep it out of the red"! LOL

To your point and confusion, this IS a religious issue as well as cultural.

In addition to the intimate sight and handling of characters by men being off-limits, we are dealing with rooms and buildings that are segregated by gender and the ideal situation would be an all female team: Camera, AC, Sound, PA to enter these areas.

So if you men know any girls that are up to the task, smack her on the rear and send her my way.

There just may be one at the next diversity training.

;-)

Love ya, really

Hugh

I'm also stunned at how willing you are to let a "makeup person or PA" mic for you.

Read my comment again -- I said assist with putting on the lav. Basically, they'd be handling the microphone and touching the minor, while I stand there and tell them where to put it. They're not doing the job of the sound mixer or the boom op -- they're just positioning a piece of plastic on a child's costume and putting their hands on the actor. We'd still have to check the transmitter, secure the cable, and do everything we always do.

It's a question of being sensitive to children. I have no problem having a wardrobe person assist, to make sure I'm not wrinkling a costume or putting tape or a clip on a valuable piece of fabric.

--Marc W.

You know, fellas, I'm sure I've been passed over many times because of my gender. Conversely, I've been hired a few times because of it, too. The thing swings both ways. Mostly, it's been your way. Quit-yer-bitchin'.

:)

-- Jan

Two wrongs make a right?

• 1 month later...

I'm happy to have a wardrobe, makeup person, or the parent/guardian step in to do this so I'll never have to hear "Show us on the doll where the sound guy touched you" in court. Even eventually found innocent, one trumped up charge like that from a confused or otherwise angry (for whatever reason) minor would be a career ending event, not to mention having to choose between being the newest husband or the wife in your cell block.

-Jerry