Has anyone made their own boom caddy?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most of us have built several boom caddies over the years since there have been very few produced for sale. Randy Johnson was one of the first to market a boom stand based on the ones he had built for himself. Trew Audio has done 2 versions of their boom stand and the current one is as really nice piece of work. In my experience, even if you do build it yourself, to get something of the quality of the Trew Audio product you're not really going to save a lot of money. You can certainly build something similar using ABS plastic pipe, wooden base, add a hook or two for cable and it will work.

Don Coufal and I have been designing a boom caddy that will be a little different than the basic boom stand. The idea is to make something that is more of a boom assistant: supports the fishpole while still providing a place to sit, some storage for the times that an actor comes off the set and hands you their wireless, stuff like that. It should have the same footprint as your basic boom stand but just do a little bit more.

I built one, a prototype, but not too happy with the end result. I will put up some pictures so you might get some ideas.

A little bit of history: the first ever boom stand, to my knowledge, was "made" (found) by Chris McLaughlin (legendary boom operator who worked with Jim Webb for years and years) --- it was actually one of the orange and yellow tubes with a base that street workers put out to cordon off an area where they are working. Chris puts some weights on the base to keep it upright when the fishpole was in it since on igts own it tended to be a little tippy.

A little bit of history: the first ever boom stand, to my knowledge, was "made" (found) by Chris McLaughlin (legendary boom operator who worked with Jim Webb for years and years) --- it was actually one of the orange and yellow tubes with a base that street workers put out to cordon off an area where they are working. Chris puts some weights on the base to keep it upright when the fishpole was in it since on igts own it tended to be a little tippy.

I agree, the materials used on the trew audio boom caddy would be worth the money but its a nice

feeling when you have something youve made yourself. Although Ive never though about using

those cylindrical cones which is actually a great idea haha altho i dont think you are able to sit on it.

I did see a different form of a boom caddy, ive seen c stand attachments which hold a boom like

hanging a coat, which is pretty neat as well.

Anyway I cant wait to see the pics!

My Randy Johnson stand is from the 1st batch. A million pounds of ass have set on it. Still works every day that I do. I feel it will out last me.

I can envision a better Boom Caddy design. Can't wait to see some pix. The biggest problem w a Boom Caddy is the Gaffer is always sitting on it.

BTW, I like the Trew design. It needs 2 hooks on it IMO.

CrewC

My friend / colleague boom op Julie Wilde uses the modified apple box pictured. It's heavier duty ply than what typical apple boxes use. I have one now too, thanks to a generous wrap gift thing :)

4948466034_2af9fe0449.jpg

Veteran venerable NY boom operator John Bowles has a similar device that sports an internal "floor" with hole for the pole bottom (and added low center of gravity weight), and a hinged door on the side, wherein he stashes his belt, etc..

I envision that along with a retractable handle and wheels (a la rolling carry-on luggage) being a perfect boom stand.

-- Jan

DIY boom stand = my first piece of equipment - before my first boom pole...

Heavy Umbrella stand+L-brackets+2"plastic-piping, about $40 in parts.

not great for unstable surfaces, but works well in a studio.

post-75-0-90586200-1311519118.jpg

post-75-0-50796100-1311519151.jpg

sure - it's not a seat, and there's no storage for radio-mics, etc; but it's very low-profile, can be hidden on-set quite easily

Cheers,

Ian

DIY boom stand = my first piece of equipment - before my first boom pole...

Heavy Umbrella stand+L-brackets+2"plastic-piping, about $40 in parts.

not great for unstable surfaces, but works well in a studio.

post-75-0-90586200-1311519118.jpg

post-75-0-50796100-1311519151.jpg

sure - it's not a seat, and there's no storage for radio-mics, etc; but it's very low-profile, can be hidden on-set quite easily

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

As a boom op myself, I have to say: great idea! Also, shiny shirt you've got there! :)

Here is the boom stand/caddy that I made from an aluminum folding step stool/ladder. I put wheels on it, a holder for the fishpole, a cable hook for cable and headphones and a seat pad (removable, not shown). You can see that one of the advantages of this that you can sit on the step-seat while the fishpole is resting in its carrier. The footprint is really not much larger than your typical boom caddy and it has wheels to easily pull it around even over rough terrain. Of course it also has the advantage of folding completely flat and taking up very little room in the trunk of a car or other small vehicle.

post-1-0-87156600-1311537828.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Coffey sells a modified apple box, Called the BoomBox.

It sells for 175 but with some wood skills you could make your own on the cheap.

http://www.coffeysound.com/Boom-Box.html

I have the Boom Box and am quite pleased with it, and my boom ops appreciate it as well. When not in use holding the boom it also works as an apple box, which we all know we have needed here and there on set, and not all productions have enough to provide one for the sound dept.

The downfall is that I get people (non sound dept) leaving personal items and even drinks on it! And on more than one occasion the camera dept. has annexed it for their own use. So I guess I also need to have a sign made that explains that the unusually large apple box with a hole in it and a picture of a boom operator on it belongs to the sound department and shouldnt be touched or taken! haha

• 1 month later...

I have, ahem, replicated Robert Sharman's two-step ladder design. Personalally nixed the lower cup as my main boom preferred to pin the boom under the lowest cross-support (I'll post a picture later). I love this design as its a caddy, seat and a height-increaser. I carpeted the steps on mine so it could be stepped on mid take if need be. When folded it hhangs off the edge of the follow cart pretty nicely as well. Er, belated props to Robert for the clever idea.

Jeff,

Can I ask where you got the racheting holder on your two-step boom caddy? I have been searching high and low for these for my main cart. Thanks!

best,

Wyatt

It's actually not ratcheting but a single clip-type closure. They are rod holders of some sort that I always seem to be able to find in marine/boating supply stores. West Marine has them but often they run out of the proper sized ones (which are a light gray color) and only have the smaller black ones. You could look at West Marine website, I think they are available in the catalog.

Strangest thing happened to me yesterday. I was getting on to the 10 fwy to head home when I had seen an apple box laying in the middle of the onramp. Soon after I dodged out its way I pulled over and threw it in my car. So, looks like I can make a BoomBox for free now. ;D I love it when stuff like that happens.

My Randy Johnson stand is from the 1st batch. A million pounds of ass have set on it. Still works every day that I do. I feel it will out last me.

I can envision a better Boom Caddy design. Can't wait to see some pix. The biggest problem w a Boom Caddy is the Gaffer is always sitting on it.

BTW, I like the Trew design. It needs 2 hooks on it IMO.

CrewC

New spec: 1 million pounds, maximum, over a 20 year period, minimum.

BTW, the Boom Caddy comes with one hook, but you can add another.

Also, maybe a small point, but it is actually a Remote Audio product, available from a number of dealers.

GT