Noisy Shirt !

Guest Film Freak

Guest Film Freak

On a recent short I mixed, I encountered an issue I 've never came across before.

The lead actress main costume ( a tight white work shirt ) was noisy in a very awkward way.

The whole shirt was noisy but didn't produce a crackling or fuzzy noise like some shirts do.

The noise was exactly like rubbing clothes on a lav and that's why it took many many attempts

to realize that its actually the shirt it self and nothing to do with my mounting techniques.

I tried every possible mounting option that a COS-11 offers.

Dracula clip, RM11, Make up sponge, moleskin tape, mount the RM11 on the lip of an under shirt,

remove the undershirt and apply all the techniques mentioned above and last but not least, costumes

department sawed a soft piece of cloth in the middle of the bra without any results either.

The actresse's patience and support was phenomenal and I kept on thanking her but I have to admit

that this was the first lav battle I gave up after more than 10 years of micing .

Does anyone have a remedy to propose ?

What do you do when you have actually run out of solutions ?

I have each line wild as well and thankfully it was a short but what if it was a feature ?

Any suggestions/ words of wisdom from the field ?

Thanks

Aris

" after more than 10 years of micing . "

CRAP Happens. You have just got even more experience to add to your 10 years, I have more years than that and still keep learning and inventing new tricks and techniques. Did you try other mic's?? Did you have other mic's?? (after 10 years, you should have)...hiding in the hair, or even maybe a hat?? Glasses ?? over the ear??

" The whole shirt was noisy "

of course if the wardrobe is making its own noise, irrespective of the presence of your lav mic, it is a bit of a wardrobe issue, isn't it?? --There is more to movie wardrobe than just "it looks good".

BTW, what about booming ??

" thankfully it was a short but what if it was a feature "

Well, there are "shorts", and there are "shorts!" there are "features" and there are "features", and there are major motion pictures.

So on this statement, I would wonder what are the production values?? A big clue would be what is the budget!

Not that a professional does her/his job differently, so much as I would instead think: well, this is an underfunded, project for a wanna bee wunderkind, and not a 200 million $ Studio Tent-pole Franchise Sequel.

Edited by studiomprd

I have encountered that same issue before. Sometimes wardrobe is just noisy. Your mounting technique could be solid but irrelevant, because what you are recording (quite accurately) is the actual sound of the wardrobe moving on the talent's body.

I find that these are the options:

A lav mounted in the hair (not always possible)

Change the wardrobe (not always possible)

Boom it

Hopefully booming is always possible. In some situations, you will still be able to hear the noise on the boom. This is why I am so glad nylon track suits are out of style! :)

Steve Grider

Location Attenuation

For me the noise the clothing makes is my big problem w/ lavs far more often than mic mount or cable issue. Lots of clothes are just plain noisy. Sometimes wardrobe people are aware of sound issues, sometimes they are clueless, often they are dictated to by higher-ups and can only say they are sorry about the offending article. Lots of good alternative mounting suggestions above (nothing like a really noisy piece of clothing to test your "hail Mary" abilities). There have also been times in which I just told the production that I couldn't make a particular outfit work for lav micing (ie bad clothes, no glasses, wide shot, noisy set, very short hair, hi-def video, long speech to be recorded in one take, very high wind, etc etc you've all been there). Then we did what we had to do either lens-wise or a change of wardrobe.

phil p

A lav mounted in the hair (not always possible)

Mounting in hair is great! Having never tried mounting in hair before a few months ago, it's been a bit revolutionary for me lately.

Helps when Hair department is on board with you and gets tips on mic placement. If no hair and makeup department... I now carry a few bobby pins for hiding mic cable in hair.

Cheers,

Rich

Guest Film Freak

Greetings to all

I am passing senator's notes. They just seem confusing and no offense but couldn't make a single advise

or real world experience from these statements.

I 've boomed all shots with a trusty boom op.

My issue is that I want to offer both lav and boom for the final mix.

I thought of hair but it wasn't an option as the talent was facing camera and most of her back

was also in shot for the faulty shots.

No matter which mic or mounting setup I would use I am convinced that there was nothing I could do.

The whole shirt was noisy and since the only mounting option was a bra lav the noise would be in the

recording no matter what.

I got clean boom tracks but I wanted to use some of the breaths from the lav as well as mix lav and boom.

In the case of not using the lav, the rest of the characters won't use the lav recordings as well.

I 've successfully rigged a lot of challenging costumes but this was my first official blow and was wondering

of any advices.

Life goes on and there's a new thing to learn each day.

Thanks

Aris

For me the noise the clothing makes is my big problem w/ lavs far more often than mic mount or cable issue. Lots of clothes are just plain noisy.

Just had that happen this afternoon -- an actress with a silk shirt and a kind of cotten undershirt-ish thing underneath. It drove me crazy on headphones, so I finally walked over, had her move, and the noise was coming from her. She promises to change her undershirt for the rest of the shoot (we hope).

--Marc W.

I've had problems like this but usually it's a combination of fabrics or chest hair (or worse chest hair stubble) and fabric. Common combinations are textured bras and silk ties with new tailored shirts.

I had a scene with a western style dress shirt (press studs not buttons) that took some sorting; it was a three camera shoot so booming was not possible. In the end I got wardrobe to make a small cut so I could expose the mic head. Less than ideal but as good as was possible. Sometimes excellence is not achievable.

Great comments from all - well said.

Yep a B6 on the edge of a garment may be a solution but I've dealt with two guys on separate shoots that shave their chests.

What a problem with stubble noise!!

Guess the solution then is a vest or T shirt underneath maybe with some toupe tape to stabilise the lav area

Keep up the the good work!!!!

mike

If the wardrobe itself is making the noise (irrespective of the mic!) then then a mic, --any mic, mounted in any way--, close to it will hear that noise! Physics!

" My issue is that I want to offer both lav and boom for the final mix. "

OK, WHY ??

(I suspect your answer says it all)

Edited by studiomprd

If the wardrobe itself is making the noise (irrespective of the mic!) then then a mic, --any mic, mounted in any way--, close to it will hear that noise! Physics!

" My issue is that I want to offer both lav and boom for the final mix. "

OK, WHY ??

(I suspect your answer says it all)

Personally, I offer both because I always have a back up plan. If somethings funks up on the boom, they could always use the lav and even any wild lines I may get from set.

So I support using both lav and Boom. Besides, the lav might sound more personal , from the audience, to the actor.

• 3 years later...

I have a question please help me.... Nowadays I shall start a film where I need some information... In film most of all will be used this clothes during wind. Tell me what can I do for accepting the best result in this case? And I noticed that this cloth makes noise during movement. I would like to know where I can hide the mic for being not noisy, for moving normally, the noise be protected by wind and be far away of eyes. I hope you will help me . It is very important for me. Thank you all of you.......https://www.dropbox.com/sc/nnr5vftyzdtmbqb/AABPJ4IYAdlizOBtqocQxUlba

Looks like an Australian Drover's coat

That would be oilcloth. Never had to deal with it in a costume, but i've seen plenty of this fabric behind camera (crew - my self included years back).

There should be a way to nail down the fabric in the area the mic will be situated...

Regards,

jr

• 3 weeks later...