Boom Recorder Feature Request

ptalsky

Hi Take,

Was using Boom Recorder today and had something come up that I would love to see changed.

We had real confusion with the scripty today and the scene numbers weren't being called out correctly.  I kept having to adjust, sometimes in mid-take.  One time (not exactly sure what the sequence of events was) I ended up entering a duplicate scene and take number.  When I stopped recording, BR correctly informed me that the file already existed, and that the recording was being aborted, resulting in a lost take.  Would it be possible in that situation to prompt the user to rename the file rather than just abort the recording?

BTW, I love the feature where you rename the files if the scene number is changed during the recording.  That saved me several times today. 

Thanks again for a great product!

Phil

Hello Phil,

When a recording is aborted (either because of an error like this or manually) the retry field is incremented, you are then able to restart the recording, a "-1" appended to the filename to make it unique.

The new version I am working on allows you to change the metadata from the sound log window after the recording is finished.

Cheers,

Take

• 1 month later...

To add to Phil's (now dated) request, I think it would be quite nice to separate the false-starts from the other recordings somehow.

Sometime I remember you talking about putting them in a separate folder, Take.  Another possibility would be to simply append a character at the beginning of the recording.

I believe the DV824 places a ~ before an aborted file.  You could follow that example, and post folks might actually have some small bit of continuity between different recorders.  Or you could make Boom Recorder unique, and give your own false-start character.  Maybe a ◊ , or » , or •, or even ∞.

I believe this helps to prevent filename conflict, and it would place the file at the beginning of any alphabetized list.

-Brian

Hello Brian,

Remember the pretty filename template user interface, that failed horribly (Apple's implementation of the TokenField is not very stable). Although the user interface doesn't work, I still could make it work as a text field, with some weird syntax.

This means you will get "if" statements, allowing you to put an aborted take into an other folder, or rename it in some other way. I will try and add it when I change the filename template system to allow for folders in the template.

But it has to wait, I just received the camera and I have to get it to work. Sometimes I wish I didn't have a day job.

Cheers,

Take