Strange problem with Macbook

JDirckze

Anybody ever seen this happen when they boot up their laptop?

post-520-131194660656.jpg

As much as I'd like to go shopping for a new laptop, I should probably see if this is something that can be fixed.

Cheers,

Jase

Hold the power button down until the machine shuts down. Root around and find the disc that came with the machine or the install disc for your current OS version if you've upgraded. Insert the disc and hold down the C key while restarting. Once it's clear you're booting from the optical drive, you can release the C key. The bootup will take awhile so be patient. Click through the language selection page and then use the dropdown menu Utilities. Use Disk Utility to check the boot drive for problems and run a permissions repair. Restart and go online and download a utility like MacJanitor or YASU and use them regularly. See if the problem reoccurs. Overtaxing a Mac's resources or going too long between restarts can bring up the screen you saw.

Meanwhile, be sure you have a good backup of anything important to you.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Anybody ever seen this happen when they boot up their laptop?

As much as I'd like to go shopping for a new laptop, I should probably see if this is something that can be fixed.

Cheers,

Jase

You don't need a new laptop. This is called a kernel panic or something like that. You will have to go to Apple Support page (from another computer, I guess) to get some info about what to do. I know there is some keyboard command to force the Mac OS to boot properly. I only had this happen once and I don't remember what I did.

If this happens all the time you need to take your computer to apple. Kernel panics (the technical term for this) are not good things. I had a tower that kept doing this repeatedly, apple had to gut it and replace most of the processors and the mother board. Fortunaltly I still had apple care.

Greg

My wife's machine had occasional kernel panics when she would try to run too many Photoshop plugins at once. It was eventually traced to an intermittent problem with a stick of memory, but I did bookmark the page Jeff's talking about.

TS3742_01_KP-001-en.jpg

Here's the link, Holding down the shift key while restarting will boot into safe mode.

Best regards,

Jim

Kernal Panic = Blue Screen of Death ??

Sort of an equivalent for UNIX based systems, yeah. It's a set of circumstances the system can't recover from on it's own and the machine dumps system info into a console (command line) display for use in debugging. That's the screen Jason posted the image of.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for the replies!

I have seen this before, but never with all the lines of code in the background. I think the key line there is 'unable to find driver for this platform'.

I was recently having issues with the Macbook (2007) and decided a fresh OS install was necessary. Unfortunately I couldn't find the original discs. I ended up booting up my Macbook in Target Disc mode from my friends MBP and used his Disc Utility to erase my HD and then reinstall OSX.

The problem I think is that the OS disc was hardware specific, but strangely my MB worked perfectly for a few weeks before freaking out..

Booked myself in for a 'Genius Bar' appointment, hopefully they'll be able to sort me out.

Thanks for all the help!

Update: Decided to see if I could boot up using my mates OSX. Turned it on while holding 'c' and was then told I could not install OSX on the disc. It asked me if I would like to restore from a backup, so I plugged in my external drive and away I went. Just updating software now but looks like I may have a working system again. Fingers crossed it doesn't keep playing up...

Thanks again for the help!

Jase

Thanks Jan/Phil,

I have been having battery issues lately too, where it's not holding charge like it used to and the fans inside have been going crazy. So the heat issue might be a problem. Also, I was running Logic Express the other day and it was crashing... Wasn't an intensive session though.