Wireless System Preference for ENG/ Industrial Bag Work

Michael Wynne

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the current Zaxcom Digital Stereo Link (TRX900AA and RX900S) and love it. I run 3 Lectro 411a/SMa systems in my bag on Block 22 and the Link is on Block 26. Signals go through a Sound Devices 442 with BDS power distro. I did my research and made sure I had plenty of separation between the Lectro's and the Zaxcom. 4 blocks of separation seems to be plenty to avoid interference between the two types of wireless systems. It all plays well together. The Zaxcom actually seems to have higher fidelity than the Lectro's though I am very happy with the Lectros.

I cobbled together a single Petrol wireless pouch and mount to a cordura work belt that holds the receiver and had a custom 4 foot cable made that yields a light weight rig that can quickly be interfaced to a camera (especially dinky cams where you don't have a mount option directly to the camera chassis). The Zaxcom is very compact for a two channel receiver - slightly smaller than a single 411a chassis and much lighter - and camera ops love it.

I've had multiple post editors comment on how clean my wireless link sound is - in fact, they usually say that can't tell the difference between my hard-cabled sound and the wireless link sound.

It is *recommended* that you use 2-3 channels of separation between your cam hop and your on-set mics. BUT, I confirm I've been using one of my TRX900/RX900 kits as cam hop several times without problem, both being in the same block... But when I buy a QRX for cam hop, I'll go 3 blocks away from my actual mics just so I have an "dedicated" kit for my cam hops gigs, which I can also use as on-set mic if I wish.

It is *recommended* that you use 2-3 channels of separation between your cam hop and your on-set mics.

I have used as little as (1) Block of separation. Remember that the Zaxcom Blocks are bigger than Lectrosonics so a Block 25 Zaxcom is about 1/3 24 all of 25 and 1/3 of 26. I prefer to keep at least 2 blocks of separation though to prevent interference

• 1 year later...

What a brilliant discussion thread.

If budget was unlimited I would love to get a complete Zaxcom setup (Wireless, IFB, Wireless TC)

However my starting capital does not permits me to take the Zaxcom path and we all have to do our best with a given budget so as of today I own 2 211s, 3 210Ds and 1 205D.

I first heard about Zaxcom when I read Trew Sound Files (was it? Not sure, but it's a seasonal PDF magazine) and there's this mixer talking about how they shot a steadycam 360 degree free range shoot (as in you can't set your cart near the set because it might be seen on camera). Their solution was to use Zax with the integrated recorder built in. The though of it blew my mind. Amazing innovation in making a seemingly impossible task possible.

I can't afford Zaxcom thus I am on Lectrosonics but this doesn't mean that Lectrosonics are second grade.

I highly rate Lectros as much as possible.

One thing though, (getting back on topic) is that there is a lot of Lectros on consignment with the price being accessible for startups.

Does this mean there's not much Zaxcom users out there or not much Zaxcom owners selling their old gears?

If you are interested in doing research in terms of what wireless system to buy, go to YouTube and search for Zaxcom. It will bring up a bunch of wireless instructional videos so you can learn how to use these products before buying! That is definitely the biggest difference between Lectrosonics and Zaxcom. To some, Zaxcom may start off being a little intimidating, but within a few minutes you will be using them with no problem! Video Mantis Thomas Popp thomas@videomantis.com

On a technical support angle, I love love love @Lectrosonics' Twitter account. Really helpful in answering questions promptly. The fact that they answer to personal tweets makes me feel close to them, in a friend to friend kinda way not a sales exec/customer vibe deal.