600 Mah rechargable 9v batteries, anyone tried them yet?

Jon Gilbert

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes but with internal ac-dc so no bulky external adapter. To soften your pain :)

Howcome you're so sure this is a Hitech brand? Sharp, pricewise. I have to get a few extra Ipowers for my next project but I'm curious about your findings.

Possibly a "mini - hijack" of this topic but I would like some opinions and sources for rechargeable AA Lithium batteries. I have been using disposable Lithiums in my Zaxcom transmitters (that take AAs, some use CR-123s) and would like to try rechargeables.

Hi Jeff,

Voltages are all wrong. All rechargeable lithiums are 3.6 Volts or so. The primary AA lithiums have a different chemistry to get the 1.5 Volts and that chemistry isn't rechargeable. NiMh is your only choice at the moment but the cells are pretty good except for the difficulty in measuring remaining charge, as in there isn't a way to do it. We have played with some NiZn batteries but though they are good, they don't offer any real advantages over NiMh. They have a higher voltage which might help in some systems but they have correspondingly lower current capacity. See: http://en.wikipedia....el-zinc_battery

Best,

Larry F

Yep. 3 volt +. But i wonder, if you have the dual aa transmitter, if some modding can work that out. Or what if you just put in one battery?

Interesting, though I would hate to get a specialty battery. At the very least if everything goes wrong, I know we can almost always find a pharmacy to get some lithium AA batteries. Not so helpful with a recorder, but with a mixer based job I always have enough batteries that I could run my mixer and wireless with individual off the shelf batteries and bypass the BDS.

@jason/eric: Therefore, maybe a little mod? I know the sennheiser g3/g2 series work on 3 volt, so I theory you can make the battery connection parallel and you got your 3v from one lithium. In theory...

Edit: or I just can put in one 3 volt in a sennheiser...? Without any mod...?

@jason/eric: Therefore, maybe a little mod? I know the sennheiser g3/g2 series work on 3 volt, so I theory you can make the battery connection parallel and you got your 3v from one lithium. In theory...

Edit: or I just can put in one 3 volt in a sennheiser...? Without any mod...?

The two 1.5v AA batterys in the G2/3 are wired in series to make 3v. As I said you could try 1-3v and put a jumper to replace the empty battery space. The question is why? AA alkalines are cheap and last 5-6 hrs. Just replace them and be done with it.

Eric

I don't know. Maybe because lithium batts give you more recharge cycles? But hey, if it doesn't fit in the compartment the whole debate is useless at all... :)

Actually, to Larry's point.... some devices have side by side AA compartments that are wired series and some parallel. That could get ugly.

Vincent- that's actually interesting. Not sure I have seen that. It would probably get crazy expensive to buy a ton of Canon-compatible point+shoot Li-ion batteries, but an interesting idea!

The dual battery side by sides that use both replaceables and LiIons, use two alkalines (or NiMh) in series for 3 Volts, and two LiIon in parallel in a container for 3.6Volts. Again, AA's in LiIon are not available at the consumer level for very good safety reasons.

Best,

Larry F

• 2 weeks later...

Little update: They arrived and I used them on a shoot yesterday. I've a Micron Wireless system, The TX was on and off a couple of times so can not really tell how long they last in a real world situation, though it lasted for the whole shoot. But now I'm doing a test at home, RX went off after 6 hours and TX is still running now, so at least 6 hours+ continuous.

I just bought these: http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

It's a Hitech brand, so probably the same as Larry is mentioning. But for half the price... We'll see when they show up, keep you posted.

_MG_4317.jpg_MG_4319.jpg

Okay, Battery in TX died after 8+ hours straight use. For comparison, iPower batts goes about 6+ hours straight in the same TX. So i'm quite pleased with it. Now see if they hold up along the way after some cycles...

I bought a couple of those Soshine as well to try them out. First test run gave around 9 hours in an UMC200 TX. Letś see how they hold in time as you said.

There's certainly a market, making them safe is the problem.

I'm not sure about the market and here is why. NiMh has almost as much energy capacity for the same volume. Though lithium does have greater capacity for a given weight that's for the 3.6 Volt per cell version. Weight is not really a problem in the size batteries we are using. For a car, it is a different story. Also any 1.5 Volt version may not be as energy dense because of different chemistry. Further, the additional protection circuitry will negate some of capacity advantage as well as drive up the cost. It's not so much that a AA lithium rechargeable wouldn't be good; it is that the NiMh's are already so well developed and cheap.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

• 3 months later...

Hi Jim, I didn't measure the amps out of it, quite a thing to do. But real world comparison with a NEW 520 mAh iPower shows indeed more power. Therefore I believe the statement of the 600 mAh. Indeed, lets wait and see after a few cycles.

Just to update you guys: I am quite happy with the Soshine 9 volts. I now have a bunch, both 500 mAh and 600 mAh versions, and they work as I am used from the iPowers, if not better. The Soshines are a steal.