600 Mah rechargable 9v batteries, anyone tried them yet?

Jon Gilbert

As an update to my Soshine 9V purchase, I did recently discover a dead battery that failed to hold a charge and had to be thrown out. It seemed to charge normally, but didn't boot up the Tx when inserted so I knew it was a goner right off the bat.

I was quite annoyed at first, but the rest of them are going strong and at the price point I will most likely order more and simply toss any that die. I know that sounds a bit nutty, but the ones that work are working extremely well and they are cheap enough that I'm comfortable with the process.

All that said, it's my opinion only, and any potential buyers should be aware that their quality control seems to be lacking, at least from the batch that I purchased. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<manufacturer> is FAR away hidden somewhere in China. you buy 10, if 8 work more than a few months, all 10 are paid for. this equation holds with any of these batteries - including iPower. Just threw away 4 'brand new' ones unused. only thing - they were 3 years old. no point in holding these in stock, just buy as and when needed. 

<manufacturer> is FAR away hidden somewhere in China. you buy 10, if 8 work more than a few months, all 10 are paid for. this equation holds with any of these batteries - including iPower. Just threw away 4 'brand new' ones unused. only thing - they were 3 years old. no point in holding these in stock, just buy as and when needed. 

Agreed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So how are the Soshines holding up after some time of usage? Losing capacity? Or still comparable to iPowers??? I bought some Litelong 680mah ones and they're not so great in holding charge...

I am still using the Soshines with great success, however one of the first 10 cells I ordered died after first use. Still, at the price point, I'm personally going to order more. I can afford a dead cell every now and then at that cost. Just my opinion of course, but overall I'm very happy with their performance. Oh, and I never run them down enough to have one die, so unless I re-do the run-flat test I won't know if they're still at like new capacity. Too busy for test in next few days, but ill try to get to it when I can. Happy hunting.

It may be just an isolated case, but the 1st of 8 new Soshines I recently bought left a little something behind when I pulled it out of the iPower charger;

post-159-0-04457100-1379457555_thumb.jpg

Since then, just to be safe, I've been using the Soshine charger exclusively (simple spring pressure plate, no stress on the poles).

And Vincent, Ebay won't let me see your link.

I had two lose their terminals as well........some glue seemed to sort the issue....

The biggest problem Ive had is that they are bigger than power/hitech and wont fit in some equipment.

Ive since purchased more hitechs and they are performing very well and only 3 dollars more per unit.

It may be just an isolated case, but the 1st of 8 new Soshines I recently bought left a little something behind when I pulled it out of the iPower charger;

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif DSCN0192.JPG

Since then, just to be safe, I've been using the Soshine charger exclusively (simple spring pressure plate, no stress on the poles).

And Vincent, Ebay won't let me see your link.

I had the same, because some dodo of a "sound guy" who I let to use my equipment tried to push the battery the wrong way into the transmitter...

Maybe this link works Andre: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390658547425

• 1 month later...

Just to bring this thread further along....

I came across what I consider to be a great price on Hi-Tech's 720 mAh 9v Li-ions:  http://www.batterymart.com/p-r-li9720-9volt-lithium-polymer-battery.html

$13.95 at least through the 24th.  

I also came across this video that is a pretty well-made test of the Tenergy 6-bay charger.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3yVZ3UGiLs 

Some salient points from the video regarding the Tenergy charger are: 1) it can handle NiMH as well as Li-ion at the same time, 2) it can handle Hi-Techs (in spite of Hi-Techs warnings that the world will end if you don't use their 2-bay charger), 3) small plug rather than a wall-wart, 4) The Tenergy 500 Li-ions appear to have a much lower actual capacity compared to their rating (350 vs 500 rating) versus the much more accurate rating on the Hi-Techs (550 vs 600 rating).  The only downside that I can see is that the Tenergy charging time appears to be slower than the charging time if using the Hi-Tech charger.  At 720 mAhs, I am estimating that the Hi-Tech's run time in a 100mw Lectro would seem to equal or exceed the Tenergy charger's charge time, so one would have fully charged batts ready when the 1st ones run dry, if cycling through batts or, if needed on a super long day or short turnaround.

As a result of this thread and additional research, I bought sixteen 720-mAh Hi-Techs and a pair of the Tenergy chargers (Ebay).   I hope this helps others.  Much thanks!

Hi Micheal,I bought the 600mah hitechs and so far they are working out well....Ill be interested to see how your 720mah ones are for runtime....I see they  are 7.4 volts as oppposed to 8.4v  of the 600mahs.....probably not a problem with most gear.

cheers ant

OK, after cycling the Hi-Tech 720 mAh batts about 5 times, I tested them in 411s, 211s, 400a's, 200c's, Um100's, and UH400a's.

Results are that the batteries take just under 10 hours to charge in the Tenergy 6-bay charger.  I have not tried the iPower charger, but it should be much faster (which is not necessarily better).

In the 411s/211s they last about 10-11 hours.  In the UH400a's they last about 8.5 to 9 hours (phantom off/on, respectively).  400a's: 10 hours.  200c: 11 hours, UM100's 11.5 hours.

I was concurrently testing the Tenergy RCR123a rechargeable Li-ion's.  2.5 hour charge time and 4.5 hour run time in Audio Ltd 2000 RX's.

Cheers

Here's my concern....  For transmitters... or other wireless gear.. Using these and testing them on a bench waiting till the light goes out or whether the system is "operating "  is different than using a transmitter at distance where a PROPER current of power... 8.0 to 9.50 for example should be, I believe, present in the battery....  I have heard and experienced,  that transmitters need the higher end of voltage for decent distance throws...  many of these  9 volts operate lower than that, some way lower....  worn batteries although functioning don't transmit as well.. If they start hot, they cool quickly to the lower end voltage...

Thoughts?...

Well, these are Larry's transmitters, so I assume that he knows what he is talking about. 

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the test. The transmitter current drain will be exactly the same on or off talent with or without audio. Your test as done is the way to do it. Some testers like to run the batteries with the terminals facing down so all the electrons can run out but we've not found a consistent difference.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Yeah, I know... Thanks Mike...

I just don't know if they were tested for mere operation or actual use operation with the transmitter at distance... There is a difference....  I was told by Lectro to keep the batteries at a higher end of voltage for best results... not just operating.  If the Re-chargables are below 9.0v from the start, and drop from there quickly to a much lower voltage, then run from then on for hours, they might not operate as well... just sayin... I have not done an operational test...

Many of the re chargables I saw started well below 9v...   I don't even want to run my comteks at 7.4 LOL...

" that transmitters need the higher end of voltage for decent distance throws... "

the modern voltage regulators keep the equipment operating properly (full power, in the case of TX's) until they cannot, and at that point they shut off...

that has been my experience...

I believe that those are really old, old wives tales.

" that transmitters need the higher end of voltage for decent distance throws... "

the modern voltage regulators keep the equipment operating properly (full power, in the case of TX's) until they cannot, and at that point they shut off...

that has been my experience...

I believe that those are really old, old wives tales.

Hummm.... that wives tale was told to me recently... a few months ago...    I hope your right...  ::)

Thanks Mike...

Hi Mike and afewmoreyears,

Mike is completely correct about batteries in our gear. I would like to know who here mistakenly told afewmoreyears that the battery voltage mattered. I promise I won't have them flogged this time.

The battery goes directly to switching regulators and their output is regulated until they simply stop switching. Any voltage between 9.5 Volts and 5.5 Volts is converted to the regulator's set voltage. At some dying battery voltage, everything just shuts down. So, if the transmitter is operating at all, it is at full power. The same goes for the receivers. If they are on, they will operate normally.

I really would like to know who you spoke to so the next customer won't get wrong information and junk batteries that are only half drained.

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher
Lectrosonics