600 Mah rechargable 9v batteries, anyone tried them yet?

Jon Gilbert

Larry: This is very helpful info-I always wondered what the internal rail voltage was regulated to.

I assume there must be some voltage drop across the regulator? If so, my guess is that it is probably on the order of a volt or so, meaning that the minimum battery voltage should be about 6.5 volts?

Also, does this apply to all transmitters using 9V batteries, or just more recent models?

--S

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Larry...  I will call you... I was having an issue with a transmitter and it was one of the suggestions.. Keep the batteries on the higher side of voltage... especially for longer throws... made sense to me...  more juice in the battery, a bit longer throw..  drained battery... well, less throw...

Good news to hear the ACTUAL operational information... Twice, thanks again to the Senator as well...

Larry: This is very helpful info-I always wondered what the internal rail voltage was regulated to.

I assume there must be some voltage drop across the regulator? If so, my guess is that it is probably on the order of a volt or so, meaning that the minimum battery voltage should be about 6.5 volts?

Also, does this apply to all transmitters using 9V batteries, or just more recent models?

--S

Hi Scott,

There is no voltage drop across the switching regulator per se. There is a small power loss, usually on the order of 2% to 5%. For instance, with a switcher you can go in at 0.8 to 1.7 Volts and come out at a regulated 3.3 Volts (SM transmitter) or you can go in at 5.5 to 9.6 Volts and come out at a regulated 3.3 Volts (UM400 transmitter). If the voltage coming out is higher than what is going in, then speaking of a voltage drop is meaningless. Since the input voltages are converted and regulated  to new voltages, fresh batteries or nearly dead batteries perform the same.

The 200 series and older units did not have switchers but used constant bias circuits to stabilize the operation over a wide range of voltages. The output power typically varied about 3 dB from fresh to nearly dead. There were some other brands that varied 10 dB in their radiated power and some manufacturers (not pro) recommended changing the 9 Volt batteries when they got below 8 Volts, which was a real waste of battery resources.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Seven years have passed. OMG

Comment from member ptalsky (Phil): 15 March 2006

An example of this value came up a few months ago when someone posted a new source for batteries. Larry Fisher immediately jumped in to let us know he had ordered some and put them through their testing and provided us with the results.

:)

Found some new options...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9V-Lithium-Polymer-500mAh-rechargable-battery-with-charger-/251328082102?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item3a845230b6

and less of a no-name, with amazing capacity (and obvious source)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/880mAh-SUPER-4pcs-9v-li-ion-lithium-Rechargeable-9-Volt-Battery-smart-charger/390658547425?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D2525320408163614509%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D390658547425%26

Still more, from Amazon now:

http://www.amazon.com/EBL%C2%AE-Self-discharge-Lithium-ion-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B00EJKIDHE/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1383794495&sr=8-15&keywords=9v+lithium+rechargeable+battery

http://www.amazon.com/EBL%C2%AE-Lithium-ion-Rechargeable-Battery-Charger/dp/B00EQ3U2AA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383794495&sr=8-4&keywords=9v+lithium+rechargeable+battery

Thoughts from the group?

I know everyone is price-conscious, but the benefits of a Li-Po system over Li-ion would seem to be more cycles and less self-discharge while in storage. For high-reuse like on a travelling show, I guess the self discharge would be less of a problem... But what say the group? Has the cheaper price of something like the SoShines or Hitech or the low-rate Tenergy ($5 each at Horizon Battery.com but only 350 mAh) been worth the savings? Have you had to replace them or is it just "They are so cheap, so I just bought more of them and toss the deads"?

• 5 months later...

So, I bought a set of Soshine 600MAh batteries about a year ago and forgot to review them for you guys.

Out of 8 batteries I ordered, 2 were DOA, and 1 only held about 50% charge. The other 5 power my UM400s for about 6:30-6:45, and have done so consistently for as long as I've had them. I like their look and their run time, but their quality control makes me nervous. If only 70% of the batteries you buy even work, then you may as well go with an established brand. Maybe I just have bad luck.

• 1 month later...

I would like to get an update on the current state of rechargeable 9 volt batteries for use in UM400 Tx.

I'm swapping to all rechargeable batts - I'm happy with my AA solution and before I commit to a 9 volt system I thought if see what my esteemed colleagues have found to be the best; I'm currently leaning towards iPower but thought things may have changed in the last 12 months.

Ipower are rock solid. Soundequip and Lemac both have them in stock. I would recommend buying an extra charger. The Ipower charger only does 4 at a time and I once killed one putting the batteries in reverse polarity. In fact I am going to buy some more of their 9v in the next couple of days for an upcoming job. Leave some for me Chris.

I'm running ipower for my um400s but if I had to swap my collection I would try the higher capacity (700mah) beachtecks. Heard good things. Loooong lasting. 2$ per more expensive than ipower but with an extra 180 mah. Trew audio now carries them along side the ipowers. If concerned about reliability ask someone at trew, surely if there were Doa's or failures they would hear about it.

I'm running ipower for my um400s but if I had to swap my collection I would try the higher capacity (700mah) beachtecks. Heard good things. Loooong lasting. 2$ per more expensive than ipower but with an extra 180 mah. Trew audio now carries them along side the ipowers. If concerned about reliability ask someone at trew, surely if there were Doa's or failures they would hear about it.

Any word on the Beachteks? I'm about to put in an order for a show and haven't heard much about them yet.

I've used the iPower's for years and love them. It's saved a crazy amount of $ in expendables cost, airline baggage costs, and landfill space. How great is that? I really don't get the folks that haven't bought into rechargeables in this day and age.

I'd just love to have a rechargeable 9V that will get me to lunch every day.

Scott

From what I hear, A fresh beachtek 9v will go 7-8 hrs.

They will get you to lunch. This is second hand info mind you. A colleague of mine on this group posted his thoughts on them and runtimes. If you search you should find it with little problem.

I'm jealous you are getting a fresh batch of rechargeable 9v's. I'm still using my 20+ 4 yr old ipowers. Still working fine but only getting 3-4 hrs on them now.

• 1 year later...

I have been using "HighTech" 600ma 9V lithium from Horizon battery.... I have been completely surprised to find that a single 9V lasts most of the day in a UM400,, even though I change them @ lunch. they are WAY better then the previous 300ma ansman I was using. I havent purchased batteries for some time now except as back ups