2nd Gen SD302 wishlist :)

jason porter

We have seen the 552, USB Pre and Mix Pre redux in the past few years.

I am hoping that Sound Devices is planning a 302 redux in the near future.

What (realistic) upgrades would you like to see?

I would like to see an onboard 2 track recorder like the 552 and meters with more resolution at the top end.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you hit the big ones. I also would like an on board recorder. Metering is ok, but more resolution is always better. In addition, give it a USB interface (probably goes hand in hand with the recording feature). I don't know where they would fit it, but 3 direct outputs would be nice for connection to redundant systems or outboard gear. I'm also thinking that rather than 2 XLRs and a headphone return jack, I'd rather just have a single Hirose circular connector to connect directly to a Beta cable. AES output... now that I think of it, I'm really describing the 552 except 3 mic pres instead of 5. Maybe they should just abandon the 302 design and take the 552 and cut it down if possible.

A left handed version, with AES digital inputs, combo XLR-TRS inputs, built in "hop" TX, transformer outputs, mono outputs (balanced and unbalanced), recorder, menu selection of a powering option to use internal battery on loss of ext power, and make it purple

well, OK, never mind the color...

Edited by studiomprd

In board recorder, AES output. low cut with sweep frequency. That's all.

I rarely use output-return cable, 99% of the time with a hop to camera.

I have now a 788, and keep the 302 for light jobs.

Senator : I'm left handed, i keep the boom with my right hand, touch the level with the left hand. I have always thought that right-handed guys may dislike the level indicator in the right !

It doesn't bother me.

I agree 100 percent with Jasons statement. a 302 with a recorder is what I would love as I have many 5D/7D jobs that timecode isn't needed currently I use my 744T for this jobs as I don't have a 552. I rarely use my 442 anymore most of my gigs can be handled by my 302 and the larger ones I use my 788T.

Some of these things that are showing up on a "wish list" for an updated SD 302 really sound like a call for a whole new product (and sort of seem to be indicating a dissatisfaction with the feature set of the SD 552). Maybe it is just that people think they could get a new SD 302 that would do all these things and cost the same as the old 302.

In the long run, I don't think the cost is the factor as much as having a really versatile "Swiss Army Knife" mixer that does the job on a lot of projects and is not overkill. I work on a huge variety of jobs and in many cases, a compact 3 channel mixer w/ recording capabilities and versatile outputs would be a welcome addition to my inventory. I must also admit that any mixer w/ T powering is nice for me - I still have a substantial investment in good T power mics and they still work fine.

Sam really? what you described would be a "462" which would be cool, but like jeff said, it would be a whole new product. I think thats not realistic for the 302 to become.

I think the 302 could have minor design changes, as in switches, meters and placement of inputs and outputs. i think a "332" would be realistic, 3 channels, maybe 3 direct outs, ten pin output.

And maybe a 2 track record func like the 552, but then the 302 would become much larger.

I think the product would be fine with out the recorder, and just had the direct output. Keep the size down. The recorder would be extra icing.

Basicly a smaller version of the 552.

Picking and choosing from the list of ideas above:

- 3 inputs with 3 direct outs

- Hirose 10-pin out

- Tape out can stay as is or change to a ta5 output (straight to a back-up recorder/stereo hop) - not an internal recorder unless the unit has a screen, which it shouldn't IMHO

- P48/mic/line selection ala 552

- Move the headphone output down from where it is (the unit may become a little deeper(?) - when looking from above to accomodate this and the direct outs)

-Sweepable low-cut if it's possible.

Basically all the best parts of the 302 am 552 as they are now, mooshed into one glorious device :)

Mic/Line Switch on the XLR outs please

You can already change the outputs to any level you want--much better than a simple switch, you can really fine tune your gain staging. This has been very helpful interfacing with wireless TX and cameras w/ oddball non-adjustable input levels like RED. Please do NOT take this away, and don't take away the ability to use the tape return as inputs #4 and 5!!!!

phil p

I think the 302 is almost perfect as is. If they had to make it any bigger I would want it to have 4 channels (kind of like what SQN did with their 4 channel).

My favorite ideas:

- 2 track recorder, same as 552, SVEN menu driven

- AES Outputs

- 1/4" headphone plug!!

- More gain on each channel (as is 552 has over 12dB more gain than the current 302)

- Direct outs

- Hirose 10-pin not a bad idea but I wouldn't care either way

- More versatile aux output (to feed 5d or comtek)

My additional cents: PLEASE no more Sven. If there is a recorder there has to be an info screen. If the new mixer has a Sven driven recorder (w/ the same non-clocked TC and non-nameable files as the 552) then I'm pretty non-interested. I actually would prefer that a new 302 NOT have a recorder, or anything that would make it bigger or heavier--they already have a mixer/recorder with all that stuff on it for those that want that. You can figure out all kinds of direct out style things and monitoring options with a little creativity and a soldering iron!

phil p

My additional cents: PLEASE no more Sven. If there is a recorder there has to be an info screen. If the new mixer has a Sven driven recorder (w/ the same non-clocked TC and non-nameable files as the 552) then I'm pretty non-interested.

I gotta say, I really like the 552 for bag jobs, but the voice-driven prompts are annoying. I'd really like to see a redo with a big backlit LCD screen, using the screen for meters. But I also concede that this would a) cost more money and B) would probably eat up more batteries.

--Marc W.