DB25 Connector Snake

Joshua Anderson

I've never done a Snake cable that terminated in a DB25 connector but I was thinking of giving it a try. It's for an analog mixer to recorder connection on my cart.

My first basic question is:

I've made all of my previous snake cables (for my cart) using Canare Mini Star Quad (L-4E5C) and wrapped in flexo expandable tubing.

Do I do the same here or do I use multi-pair cables like Canare L-4E3-8P or L-4E4-8AT?

After that, I'll take any advice on DB25 connectors and making 8 channel snakes with them.

Thanks,

Josh

I've never done a Snake cable that terminated in a DB25 connector but I was thinking of giving it a try. It's for an analog mixer to recorder connection on my cart.

My first basic question is:

I've made all of my previous snake cables (for my cart) using Canare Mini Star Quad (L-4E5C) and wrapped in flexo expandable tubing.

Do I do the same here or do I use multi-pair cables like Canare L-4E3-8P or L-4E4-8AT?

After that, I'll take any advice on DB25 connectors and making 8 channel snakes with them.

Thanks,

Josh

The 4e4 8at has a foil shield wth drain wire ground and is designed for a permenent install. Go with the 4e3 8p and it's braided shielding for field use.

Eric

I soldered a Canare MR202-8AT without too much trouble...a little cursing here and there...Granted the cable hasn't seen a super amount of use yet, but it still works just fine when I hook it up. I sourced the parts from Dale Pro Audio (though the right angle db25 I used was special ordered).

-g-

I soldered a Canare MR202-8AT without too much trouble...a little cursing here and there...Granted the cable hasn't seen a super amount of use yet, but it still works just fine when I hook it up. I sourced the parts from Dale Pro Audio (though the right angle db25 I used was special ordered).

-g-

Somewhat off topic, here's one of the remotes I designed and built for the old Fostex D15/25 Dat recorders that uses a DB37 pin connector on the machine end. Granted it was designed for studio use and not the field. BTW, I still have two of these remotes if anyone is interested.

post-22-0-80183000-1312898609.jpg

post-22-0-00968400-1312898645.jpg

I looked into rolling my own DB25 stuff (for JoeCo and Tascam etc) and then decided to go Redco. When I've done DB25s myslef they were kind of failure prone....

phil p

Great suggestion, Redco, I had not heard of them but it looks like they make it about as easy as it can possibly be to order a custom cable done exactly how you want it. Good resource for those of us who find certain kinds of cables not that easy to do ourselves.

Hey Josh,

I build all of my 8ch snakes with Mogami W2932 Analog 8-Pair. It's narrow and flexible. Each if the inner pairs is nicely numbered along the individual shielding, and the "hot" conductors of each line is color-coded in standard Br,R,O,Y,G,B,V. It really helpful when making multiple connections link inside a DB25.

Another thing I'll sometimes do when making these kinds of cables, is after making all the DB solders, squeeze some hot glue in there. It holds everything nicely in place inside the connector. If you ever need to service it, you can still peel the glue away.

Hope you're well,

Wyatt

I cheat heavily with DB25s. I buy a pre-fabbed 25 pin to 25 pin long enough for two projects, cut it in the middle and away I go. MarkerteK has Mogami 8-pair DB25 cables at a good price.

Jay

P.S. Visited Joe Kenworthy on the set of Weeds today... What a sweetheart!

Got some DB25 --> XLR breakout snakes from Redco last year. Great quality. Pretty fast. Worth it given my rusty cable-making skillz. Worth a phone call to get the correct cable (like with color coding) unless you know which to choose. Ahem. Nice people.

-- Jan

Thanks for all of the replies / info. I think I'm leaning towards the "cheat" method and will pick up a Mogami analog DB25-DB25. Cut it in 2 and put on the connectors I need. Soldering TA3s are frustrating enough - I think I'll hold off on doing the DB25 connector myself for a little bit.

Thanks again for all of the insights!

I like the hot glue idea - I use that on my Lead Acid Batts when connecting 4-Pin XLRs.

Josh