Trouble shooting schoeps cmc 641

JonO

My schoeps cmc641 suddenly developed a rattling noise when I swing it side to side- I can only hear it through the headphones- not by putting my ear next to it. It almost sounds like there is a very small grain loose inside it. It was working perfectly fine two days ago. Has anybody had this problem?

Oh, and I tried switching cables and inputs. Im pretty sure its the mic.

Thanks,

Jon

That's a problem I've never heard. To me, the mikes are so delicate and expensive, you need to talk to the real guys (assuming you're in North America):

Redding Audio, Inc.

97 South Main Street - Unit #10

Newtown, CT 06470

(203) 270-1808

info@reddingaudio.com

In Germany:

Schoeps GmbH

Schalltechnik Dr.-Ing.

Spitalstraße 20

D-76227 Karlsruhe (Durlach),

GERMANY

+49 721 943 20-0

http://www.schoeps.de/en/

--Marc W.

I once had the same problem, I was shooting outdoors, quite far from the city, so I had to try to fix it by myself.

I found out that it was something into the CMC6 that was moving.

I first removed the capsule.

I discovered that the little screws that keep the CMC6 closed do not hold it like ordinary screws, but they are in the inside, pushing out on the casing, keeping it still.

In fact, if you try to screw them clockwise they will keep to go into the mic and they finally will fall into it.

If you see one of the screws missing, that's probably what happened and you have just to open the CMC6, take the missing screw and put it in its place.

(First post, hello everyone!)

Thanks for the suggestions - its definitely confined to the preamp as I hear the sound without the mk41 capsule screwed on. It is also only when I quickly swing the mic side to side- I can also replicate by tapping the boom pole. The loose xlr connection is what I am leaning towards. On a job this morning I started to try and loosen the screws to open up the cmc6..then I decided against it (probably wisely ) . I'll take it in and provide an update. Thanks again- this is a great site.

-Jon

" definitely confined to the preamp "

Valuable information resulting from your problem solving techniques.

This now points to the small screws holding the XLR insert into the bottom of the preamp module, and these can be gently and firmly tightened with a small screwdriver, at no risk and without opening the microphone

" definitely confined to the preamp "

This now points to the small screws holding the XLR insert into the bottom of the preamp module, and these can be gently and firmly tightened with a small screwdriver, at no risk and without opening the microphone

Not necessarily. In the case of the sound affecting Moe's microphone, there was something inside that was loose... it was not the screws.

FYI. Schoeps shuts down for the good part of August for summer holidays.

Yikes! Wish I lived in Germany! I tried tightening the screws and quickly found out how soft the metal is (before I read Jason's post)- and it still rattles....So looks like I'm taking it in to Location Sound tomorrow morning.

There is an internal threaded ring that holds the mic head assembly together, and I've known these to loosen and allow the parts inside to "bump" when cuing the mic. This ring has two pin holes, and it is easy to tell if it has loosened. If it is loose, snug it back down and see if the noise goes away.

Glen Trew

• 6 months later...

Hope you guys don't hate me for reviving a dead thread, but I just have to let you know that you've just now saved my butt. The XLR end of my cmc641 was just a little loose. Thought, "Oh, I've got my tiny screwdriver set with me. I'll just tighten this up a bit", noticing the three set screws on the end. Didn't realize the threads were reversed and like lacopo, I "tightened" until the set screw dropped into the inside of the body. This thread (forum thread, not set screw thread) made me brave enough to loosen everything up, slip the end off, dig out and reset the set screw and "bam", I'm good as new. I was dreading trying to figure out how to make do without it, while it languished in CA or Germany.

THANKS!!