Easy Boom Grips..

Richard Ragon

Here's a Tip people!

I found this at 'The Container Store'.. (love that place).

These are the elfa Tool Holders, for holding a broom handle on your garage wall.

Richard, do these holders really hold the fishpole firmly enough? I used some holders a longtime ago that looked similar and had the push in - pull out function, but they didn't seem to hold the pole when the cart was moved about. I will look into these things again. I love The Container Store too.

Richard, do these holders really hold the fishpole firmly enough? I used some holders a longtime ago that looked similar and had the push in - pull out function, but they didn't seem to hold the pole when the cart was moved about. I will look into these things again. I love The Container Store too.

I use these, not sure what the exact name is but they were designed to hold fireman's axes. They work great with the grab strap but you need to get the correct size for the pole.

post-22-0-99608900-1313191851.jpg

post-22-0-49397100-1313191865.jpg

I was looking for an alternative to a Bobber for our carts and tried the Swedish ones but they weren't up to it. Wheeling a cart over uneven ground the pole was sure to fall out.

We finally settled with the ones from End Of the Road which are excellent and we wouldn't go back to Bobbers.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Thanks for the tip, guys. Was just thinking about adding an extra holder. Ordered the Quick Fist.

I currently use the bobber, and have had the pole fall out with the zeppelin on, wheeling over uneven ground. I would worry that the container store product might be susceptible to that too.

Robert

Thanks for the tip, guys. Was just thinking about adding an extra holder. Ordered the Quick Fist.

I currently use the bobber, and have had the pole fall out with the zeppelin on, wheeling over uneven ground. I would worry that the container store product might be susceptible to that too.

Robert

They do take a bit of exercising to become plyable. I would suggest that you put a pole in the "Quickfist" holder and leave it there for afew days so it can stretch to the size so the locking strap becomes easier to pull over the pole.

Eric

I have six Bobbers on my current cart -- some large and some small. I use them for mic booms, a c-stand, antenna pole, umbrella pole, etc. and I've never had a problem with anything falling out, even rolling over rough or uneven terrain.

I think the difference must be in how the Bobbers are mounted. I use a washer under the bolt to spread the surface holding area of the bolt, and affix them to a flat surface so the rear side of the Bobber can't wing back. It also makes a difference how firmly the Bobber mounting bolt is tightened.

I also added Velcro straps for extra security but don't always use them as the Bobbers hold quite firmly and reliably.

John, you are right, the more the mounted spread of the bobber is, the more the clamping action at the front. However velcro on the bobbers is an additional support.

Yet, NOTHING that i have seen on the net or on other carts comes close to the Quickfist in terms of safety and reliability as well as ease of use - both to put a boom in and to take out...

For that matter, if people out here want a few of those other kind of clamps, i have a bunch lying around... :)

I'm a fan of the Quick Fist. I forget what size I have, but they grab a boom enough between setups, and we use the locking strap for moves. My buddy, that's an AC, uses them on his off-road Xterra truck to hold an axe on his roof rack. They really are that strong. That's where I first saw them, then I noticed some other mixers using them.

I had the standard bobbers before and one winter job where we were in the freezing cold I really felt like the bobber was so inflexible that I might damage my boom pole trying to jam it in.

• 1 month later...

exactly what I was gonna say...

I have six Bobbers on my current cart -- some large and some small. I use them for mic booms, a c-stand, antenna pole, umbrella pole, etc. and I've never had a problem with anything falling out, even rolling over rough or uneven terrain.

I think the difference must be in how the Bobbers are mounted. I use a washer under the bolt to spread the surface holding area of the bolt, and affix them to a flat surface so the rear side of the Bobber can't wing back. It also makes a difference how firmly the Bobber mounting bolt is tightened.

I also added Velcro straps for extra security but don't always use them as the Bobbers hold quite firmly and reliably.

Velcro strap is fast, reliable, easily replaceable...

• 10 months later...