IFB workflow

razastudio

The general setup is as described above, but there are productions where key players (Director, Script, etc.) want to hear playback from video assist using the same headset they were wearing during the take. This is usually accomplished one of two ways: the sound mixer takes an audio feed FROM the Video Assist cart so when Video Assist is playing back a take you can send it out the same IFB (Comtek, Lectro, Zaxcom, etc.) transmitter you are using during the take. The other way is to have the IFB transmitter on the Video Assist cart rather than the sound cart. Then, during the take your audio is heard in the headphones and when Video Assist plays back the take, that audio is heard. I personally do not like this setup because it relies on Video Assist operator/cart to be up and running for anyone to hear anything in their headphones.

I use three IFB transmitters, one for the villagers, one for production (director, script super, etc.) and one for boom. On a widely separated set, I'll sometimes locate the village transmitter on the video assist cart, and since I'm usually a bit closer to the action, the production and boom op transmitters stay on my cart.

When working with film I can send two audio feeds and receive two video feeds via CAT5e to/from the VA cart.

When working with hi-def, VA will often get the audio via the HD-SDI connection directly from camera. They can then send either that feed or a playback feed to the villagers via my transmitter. From my cart, I send whatever production feed is necessary to the production team.

On smaller productions, it varies widely and is often different with each gig.

I have one set of Comteks for my boom ops and one set for anyone else. The only feature I have done with video assist was the movie I did with Renny Harlin. He wasn't interested in seeing much back. If he was going to spend the time to watch it, he would just rather do another take. He was also masterful at watching several monitors and knowing every piece he needed and whether he got it or not. But I sent an audio feed via cable to the VA guy, and playback occurred only at his station, when required. The audio played through his built-in speakers. Not optimal, but nobody was really listening. They were really just watching stunts and effects, etc.

Other shows I have done were either film with no VA operator or HD, to which I did not run audio. Any playback was purely a quick technical check, which required no audio.

When I was a video assist guy, my experience was only playing back through a speaker at the monitors, or a "private" playback at my cart. I never had a mixer put a transmitter on my cart, and I never sent a return feed. But my experience in that field was somewhat limited, and much of that experience was with stunts and visual effect units.

Robert

problem with a speaker at video village is that they don´t have an "audio on playback only" option. So you have to rely on the operator to kill the volume when in live view and on takes.

I have a small headphone amp with 5 outputs. That gets the output from the video and playback can be checked by up to 5 people simultaneously at video village using (their comtek) headphones.

problem with a speaker at video village is that they don´t have an "audio on playback only" option.

Not so. Many of the proper Video Assist rigs are configured so that the speaker is only active on playback (still under manual control by the Video Assist operator since there are times when they may want the speaker "live" even during a take, providing there isn't any feedback problem).

I use three IFB transmitters, one for the villagers, one for production (director, script super, etc.) and one for boom. On a widely separated set, I'll sometimes locate the village transmitter on the video assist cart, and since I'm usually a bit closer to the action, the production and boom op transmitters stay on my cart.

John,

What's different between your feed for villagers and the feed for director/scripty?

-Greg-

John,

What's different between your feed for villagers and the feed for director/scripty?

Usually no difference, but having two separate systems means that if the village is located a long way from the shooting, they can have a transmitter that is nearer to them and the production team can have another that is nearer to the action. Also, if desired, video assist can route the signal through the VA system and be able to play back through the villagers headphones.

Then, I've had occasions where the director wanted the village feed killed whenever the camera was not running. I have a kill switch on the cart control panel that can easily accomplish this and can even send mp3 playback through the cans so I don't have to field the inevitable, "my headphones aren't working" whines in between takes or during setup.

Speaking of variations, on one production I had a director who didn't like Comtek feeds and wanted a direct headphone line from the board. For that I made (and now carry) a couple of adapters: a phone to XLR adapter for the mixer end and an XLR to phone adapter for the director's end. This allows me to use microphone cable for a run to the director. By using these adapters, I don't have to carry extra headphone cables.

For most normal circumstances, without a video assist, transmitting Program to the village on a TR-4 (with the capability of digital delay for HD shows), transmitting an Aux mix to the sound team on a second TR-4. For Video Assist, I use a Mux 2A 2V balun set-up to receive two video feeds from the cameras, I send Program to the assist on one channel, receive his E/E feed back to me on the other. Provided the E/E feed is clean, I'll feed the return to the village transmitter. Any playback goes directly to all village headsets.

I always offer (on commercials) to install and rent playback ifb (wireless) to production and they always say that they want it but on set it never gets used for playback. So only mixer out ifb would be ok in most situation. But it's just for the moment that someone asks if there is playback... Never experienced it so far...

• 3 weeks later...

Private lines to my booms, 4 memory banks

Sound cart Lectro IFB > Boom Op #1, R1a Freq 1 of 4

Sound cart Lectro IFB > Boom Op #2, R1a Freq 2 of 4

Program feed, 2 memory banks

Sound Cart Lectro IFB > Dir/Prod/Scripty, R1a Freq 3 of 2

Video playback, 2 memory banks

Video Village Lectro IFB > Dir/Prod/Scripty, R1a Freq 4 of 2

This way the Dir/Prod/Scripty could hear what I'm sending out to VidVillage as well as VidPB with a click, but not my booms. My team could hear anything they want with a click on their R1a. Wireless or cable to VidVill depends on location.

Haven't had to do video playback yet, but here's my setup. 788t output 1 to Public Comtek (Director, Scripty and two other receivers), Output 2 to camera feed if needed, Output 3 goes to a audio/video Balun which is hardwired to the village connected to a Consumer Sennheiser Wireless Audio system(Actually sounds better than the Comtek feed). Output 4 is to Boom boom comtek. Have two more outputs can be used for Boom Boom 2 or other use.

• 1 month later...

Had no idea that there were so many lovely options to consider for audio feeds.

Look forward to implementing 'em as needed in due course.

My setup is thus:

• From an AD255, Aux 1 (private line) --> ifb100 and Lectro T-4
  • From same mixer, Aux 2 (public line) --> Comtek M216
  • An additional M216 ready to take and send anything, likely simple mood playback

-- Jan

I send an IFB feed to my sound dept. friends.

Video village/driector etc. gets a feed via a Comtek 216/BST. This is fed from a balun system that is looped via video asst.

I send audio to video assst. and then get the return from him and feed that into a comtek. This way when they go into playback mode I don't have to bring up the return feed to put PB into the headphones. Easy to setup on the 01V96 but can eat up inputs etc on smaller rigs.

I have 3 versions of talking.

1-PL goes to IFBs only

2-Slate which goes to IFB/Video Village/Mix Track

3-Village Only so I can talk to PL and Village and not go to mix track (ie say this is not usable)

Scott Harber CAS

anybody using embedded SDI audio for IFB use in video village (requires scratch track to camera of course)?

chris

Yes, if they are cabled up that way. (Audio goes to village monitor speaker from the camera.) This is usually only done on a stage, but it does eliminate the need for an audio delay in a line coming directly from me (or Comteks).

phil p