Zaxcom Nomad - It's Alive.

Jack Norflus

I think for the markets both product lines (Deva/Nomad) are primarily aimed at, the distinction is clear. My guess is that a lot of Deva owners will add a Nomad for insert work, etc., with the Deva still being their primary on-cart machine. For those of us who both sling (a bag) and shove (a cart), the Nomad might be an obvious choice. The Fusion will perhaps be the one "caught in the cross-fire."

However, anyone who thinks Sound Devices will be sitting still probably hasn't been paying attention.

One thing is clear, our choices are broadening and the market is becoming more competitive. Will the future bring more features for the money, or less money for the features? Probably some of both -- which is a good thing for us.

Exciting times.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack - this would apply to Fusion 12, Nomad, etc. - is there some reason that 96K cannot be supported when running 12 tracks? Is it a mattter of what the flash card can handle? Is it a firmware limitation, processor limitation inside the unit?

THANKS,

AB

Jack - this would apply to Fusion 12, Nomad, etc. - is there some reason that 96K cannot be supported when running 12 tracks? Is it a mattter of what the flash card can handle? Is it a firmware limitation, processor limitation inside the unit?

THANKS,

AB

I think Jeff is correct regarding processor limitations - but this question can better be answered by Glenn.

Hi Armin,

the simple answer to your question is 'yes'.

The fader assign page, and the main IP gain pages are different pages, so yes - you can set the S gain to be more than the M - or vice versa.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

ok - ganging is possible. Could the gain stay independend at the same time? Figure 8 needs more gain than shotgun.

And how about the headphone Matrix for MS Stereo?

I think for the markets both product lines (Deva/Nomad) are primarily aimed at, the distinction is clear. My guess is that a lot of Deva owners will add a Nomad for insert work, etc., with the Deva still being their primary on-cart machine. For those of us who both sling (a bag) and shove (a cart), the Nomad might be an obvious choice. The Fusion will perhaps be the one "caught in the cross-fire."

If anything, the Fusion could be seen as a possible replacement for the other Devas. All solid state drives were a major selling point to me. Though, if I could have anything on my wish list it would have been to get some large internal SSD that could hold an entire feature. Oh well, I'm still as happy with my Fusion as I was on day one! Enough so that I would consider a Nomad for bag work down the road.

power question: if i have nomad loaded with AA batteries and running off of NP1 system and NP1 system dies will nomad automatically switch to AA batteries with any sort of interruption?

It was in one of the previous threads that the Nomad will charge the internal AA batteries. They sound like more of a "change your batteries stat!" than a primary power source.

Is the Switchcraft power connector identical to the one used on the Sound Devices MM-1? It looks as if it is, maybe someone can confirm this?

You have to watch this. I was on a job (with their kit) and a power cable for our Zaxcom ENG hop died. Production ordered it from a "usual suspect" and the power connector was a few mm too long. Just long enough not to lock in. This was a while ago, so I can't remember which way it was, but I think it worked on the RX but not the TX? Whatever it was I had to do some resoldering to make it work. I took a side by side picture of the two and the difference in length was barely more than that plastic ring on top. Both were Switchcraft IIRC.

Ahh! Here's the picture:

5500941480_a4d6259749.jpg

Just a quick Nomad update.

At this point the software is being finalized and some quirks are being fixed. The manual is being written, but I am not sure of its current status. And I know Zaxcom is planning on releasing some instructional videos on-line.

For me so far Nomad has been performing extremely well. I haven't experienced any real issues other then a few small quirks in the software that has already, or will, be cleaned up before final release.

As a mixer Nomad is very clean, no self noise, total input and output flexibility, and multiple metering options.

As a recorder - Nomad generates no heat - I used the recorder today as we rolled almost continuously for just over Four hours, only stopping long enough to change the camera loads - and Nomad never got hot or even warm.

And as far as I know everything is looking good for shipping to begin later this month, after Glenn gets back from IBC.

Jack

<snip>

I took a side by side picture of the two and the difference in length was barely more than that plastic ring on top. Both were Switchcraft IIRC.

Yep, that's the difference between the 760K and 761K.

Specs for all the Switchcraft plugs can be found here:

http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=479

Thanks so much for keeping us all updated throughout your beta testing of the Nomad Jack. Looks like Glenn is working hard to have as little bugs as possible in the first release. One of my pet peeves is when a company releases a product too early and the 1st generation buyers are nothing more than beta testers.

Most of these components were designed and built specifically for Nomad and are not backwards compatable.

Well that just plain sucks. A (perhaps unintended) slap in the face to those of us who could have bought cars, but instead bought Zaxcom Devas. Thanks Glenn.

That said I'm gonna get a Nomad 8 for the bag and the Devas will live on the cart, so there will be a mixer with better preamps for the Deva inputs. And I don't use limiters so I don't care about those so much. But my face still stings. Ouch.

And Mr. Mirror I'd like to know what you meant by your comment. Sounded pretty snarky, did you mean to come off like a total douche or were you trying to say something meaningful? Please clarify.

Dan Izen

I'm not sure that I can agree with what you suggest, Dan. How can progress be a slap in the face? The simple truth is that the technology has moved on, is better, faster, smaller, and generally more efficient. Had you bought that car, instead of your Deva, would the car manufacturer not have brought out a new model a year later, with better 'stuff', and yet at a similar or sometimes even lesser price. More to the point I dont know of many instances where car manufacturers have offered upgrade kits in order to make my 3 year old van match the current or latest spec?

Surely we should all be encouraging manufacturers and designers to use the latest stuff, so that the products eventually improve? Surely you would not have preferred that the Nomad IPs were built as per the (now some years old) Deva spec, simply so that your (old) Deva product was not userped in any way?

Kindest regards to all,

Simon B

Well that just plain sucks. A (perhaps unintended) slap in the face to those of us who could have bought cars, but instead bought Zaxcom Devas.

Well that just plain sucks. A (perhaps unintended) slap in the face to those of us who could have bought cars, but instead bought Zaxcom Devas. Thanks Glenn. ... ... But my face still stings. Ouch.

Dan Izen

This is not such a nice thing to say. I completely agree with what Bash says, particularly if we are going to continue withe the new model car analogy. I think a better guiding principle when looking at all of this is to reflect on the history of all relevant technologies and the products that use these technologies. A couple of examples always come to mind, for me since I have been an early adopter of just about everything for most of my life (and have paid dearly for it everytime). I bought one of the first Texas Instruments hand held "calculators" that cost $350.00 and had less computing power than my keyless key fob that came with my Prius. Now, if you start getting into personal computers and peripherals, was I happy with the first external hard drive I bought that was a whopping 20 MB (that's megabytes) and cost $1800.00, a few years later I could get a drive with twice the capacity and half the price? The rule with ALL computers from all manufacturers is that if you wait for the next model it will be faster, have more features and cost less than the one you are about to buy.

I think we have gotten spoiled with this latest generation of devices we use that do have so many things that can be upgraded via software only. In the old days when you had the older model and they came out with the new model, NOTHING was upgradable --- if you wanted the new model badly enough, you bought it. The comparison between Nomad and Deva is not really even relevant --- though they share much of the same operational software they are completely different products designed for different uses and users.

Looks like Glenn is working hard to have as little bugs as possible in the first release. One of my pet peeves is when a company releases a product too early and the 1st generation buyers are nothing more than beta testers.

Nomad is essentially ready for general release. Mixing and recording with Nomad is 100% there. The tweaks going on now are with the extra features.

I don't think there should be any bugs in basic operations with the release model, Glenn has really been putting Nomad through the gauntlet of testing. Though that doesn't mean that early adopters won't have to do software updates as new features are added and changes are made to Nomad.

Keeping in mind software updates with nomad are super easy a quick to do.

Jack

It would be helpful to know from Zaxcom which features will not be ready on the models that are shipped out first and when they plan on issuing updates. It would be unfortunate for people to receive their recorder expecting certain features but not have access to them. It would also help to know when those features can be expected in an update.

So - I found myself out last night with Glenn, and Roger from Everything Audio.

We went to the restaurant where, two years ago - we started to discuss what has now become the Nomad. It seemed somewhat appropriate that we were back there again, with my meeting a real Nomad machine for the first time. It seems like a really neat machine, and has come out well. I found it quite intuitive, and the menus that I think I would need in a hurry, were pretty close by and easy to get to. It sounded great, and most functions were working.

One of the things that really did (pleasantly) surprise me was that it runs very, very, cool. The coolness really was quite impressive, so much so that the conversation turned to how we might manage to make a Nomad run hot!!! In the end I think I cracked it. I came up with this!!

post-346-0-76147400-1315411246.jpg

Believe me, the chicken curry really was hot, and yet still the Nomad produced next to no heat. Roger and Glenn and I, however, worked u a goodly sweat ;-))

Kindest regards to all,

Simon B

I gather from the conversation last night - the automixer is not working yet. The IFB will not be implemented on the first machines, but should come a month or so later. The USB is not working yet, and is due a month or so after the IFB.

I am sure there is more, but I got a bit 'featured out' after a while!!!

Kindest regards to all,

Simon B

It would be helpful to know from Zaxcom which features will not be ready on the models that are shipped out first and when they plan on issuing updates. It would be unfortunate for people to receive their recorder expecting certain features but not have access to them. It would also help to know when those features can be expected in an update.

What's not nice Jeff? I'm sharing my thoughts because that what this board is for. And don't forget I did state I was going to get a Nomad, probably two! Heck I need more write offs these days, but I am saddened I will not be able to enjoy the new and improved hardware that the Nomad has, despite the fact the Deva cost me three times as much.

Dan Izen