Zaxcom Nomad - It's Alive.

Jack Norflus

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a software update for Nomad today, proceeded by a very ecstatic phone call from Glenn regarding the newly improved dynamic range of Nomad. So as it stands the latest version of Nomad gives you around 135 dB of dynamic range. Basically what this means is you can not clip or distort the input. According to Glenn you can actually have an input hit 20 dB or more above 0dBFS and the inputs will not clip.

I tried my hardest. I cranked up the gain and hit everything as hard as I could and I couldn't get the input to clip at all.

So even though Nomad has some of the best input limiters I have personally worked with - they are now essentially unnecessary. Though you may want to use the output limiters so you don't clip what you are recording.

I got a software update for Nomad today, proceeded by a very ecstatic phone call from Glenn regarding the newly improved dynamic range of Nomad. So as it stands the latest version of Nomad gives you around 135 dB of dynamic range. Basically what this means is you can not clip or distort the input. According to Glenn you can actually have an input hit 20 dB or more above 0dBFS and the inputs will not clip.

I tried my hardest. I cranked up the gain and hit everything as hard as I could and I couldn't get the input to clip at all.

So even though Nomad has some of the best input limiters I have personally worked with - they are now essentially unnecessary. Though you may want to use the output limiters so you don't clip what you are recording.

That's perfect for the hammering and sawing noises which are a staple of the home improvement shows I work on regularly. Looking forward to getting mine.

Bernie

The Nomad does allow the input level to exceed 0dB FS by 20 dB without any limiter or compressor active on the input. This provides a clip proof input. 0dB FS is still the level that can not be exceeded on the Nomads output. The implication of this is that input gain control adjustment during normal mixing is not neccessary or desireable. Only the fader is needed to control mix levels as the input can not be clipped.

Glenn

I got a chance to play around (briefly) with a nomad at my local shop recently, and have a few impressions. Im sure that like most equipment, once you get used to the system, it becomes second nature. There were a few functions that I was less than impressed with. I guess I had assumed (incorrectly) that the rotary encoders used capacitive switching for channel specific tasks (ie: panning, trim, etc). You have to physically turn the encoders (however slightly) to engage that channel for editing. Unless I'm mistaken, this means that enacting any function other than fade on each channel will require a change in control value on that channel (or... a fade).

The ease of PFL'ing left a bit to be desired as well. I feel that this is such a commonly used feature in the market this machine is aimed at, that not having dedicated hardware switches for the task is a bit of an oversight.

I absolutely don't want it to sound like I'm dissing Zax's new machine.... It just maybe isn't for me. I'm sure that there is a market that will respond positively to the Nomad. It's great to have a variety of options.

Just my first impression from a firsthand look (again, brief)

Why not make a cl-8 like controller add on for the nomad, and provide the controls we desire (in the least pan, fade, solo, maybe even a larger record button that we can really feel and is lit up...... . Our decisions on high pressure run around jobs are split second and a split second interface is often what we need to keep our clients happy. Right now the only way I could imagine feeling truly comfortable with using a nomad for my clients is if I was using a 442/552 infront of it.... But it would be nice to not have 2 units in the bag.....

I love Sd but we obviously are ready for something new from you guys thats why the nomad is making the sd loyalists begin to wander.....we are waiting......

The user interface of the Nomad is different than other mixers. There are no dedicated trim knobs and pan controls for a few reasons.

As the Nomads inputs cannot be clipped there is never a need to quickly access the trim in order to correct an input overload situation.

If trim adjustment is desired, Auto trim provides fast access to the input trim adjustment via the menu knob. Since trim adjustment is usually associated with fader motion the selection of the channel to trim is “Automatic”. This function also provides a high resolution input meter for the current trim that is adjusted.

If manual selection of an input to trim is desired the setup button can be pressed followed by the channel button to trim.

If direct knob control of any trim is desired, any of the 6 hardware faders can be assigned as an input trim. In short there are 3 different fast ways to control input trim if desired.

Pan switches are not necessary or desirable because Nomad has 6 main output busses and 10 analog inputs making switch control impractical. The Pan routing home screen allows for 3 sets of stereo busses to be quickly routed from 8 of the analog inputs. Routing of any input left, right or center is just as easy as with separate switches and in fact is easier to keep track of as the Pan routing is on the display and not scattered across the face of the mixer.

There is no need for add on faders. The Nomad can easily mix 10 channels of audio directly on the face of the stock unit. A Home screen with four virtual faders allows for control of 10 tracks in combination with the 6 hardware faders. The Nomad was designed with 10 channel mixing capability from the word go.

PFL is instantly accessed with a dedicated button. A PFL mix or isolated channel may be monitored.

Nomads user interface has been designed with feedback from many ENG/EFP sound mixers. We are continuing to refine the user interface based on the feedback of our beta testers. It is our goal to provide enhanced capability with a user interface that is faster and more intuitive than any other product.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

Hi Glenn... If I were to order a 6 track nomad does it mean i can record a 6 + 2? or 6 tracks only mean i can record 4 iso and 2 mix track?

Thanks

I've been curious about that myself. From your description Glenn its a really "thinking outside of the box" approach which will take some getting used to. I ordered the six and am really looking forward to getting it.

Bernie

Hi Glenn... If I were to order a 6 track nomad does it mean i can record a 6 + 2? or 6 tracks only mean i can record 4 iso and 2 mix track?

Thanks

A Nomad 6 will allow you to record 6 iso tracks or 4 iso and 2 mix track. If you need to record 6 iso and 2 mix you will need to order a Nomad 8.

Nomad is very versatile. With any model, 10 analog inputs can be mixed and routed to the recorded tracks. Nomad 6,8, and 12 can also mix in 8 AES inputs as well. Since any Nomad can be upgraded to a higher track count, there should be no worry about not having enough tracks for the future.

Glenn

Nomad is very versatile. With any model, 10 analog inputs can be mixed and routed to the recorded tracks. Nomad 6,8, and 12 can also mix in 8 AES inputs as well. Since any Nomad can be upgraded to a higher track count, there should be no worry about not having enough tracks for the future.

Glenn

I understand that if I buy a Nomad 4 track recorder I can upgrade to a 6 track recorder, but will I be able to upgrade the other features that a 4 track Nomad lacks such as Zaxnet IFB/timecode control and AES input? How would you go about upgrading? Is it a firmware upgrade or something that I can do at home or does it involve a physical upgrade by a technician?