Zaxcom Nomad - It's Alive.

Jack Norflus

Being that there are almost 500 posts in the Non-conjecture thread, and that Nomad is that much closer to being delivered I think it is time to start a new one.

I will start this thread by saying that I have been giving the Nomad that I’m beta testing a real work out. To update everyone on things the software is being tweaked and finalized and everything is coming together very nicely. I will be writing a full review soon, but right now I just to throw out my first impressions.

The unit is sleek and light in weight and the build seems very solid and rugged. The pots have a nice feel to them – not to tight not to lose. The screen although not very large, like that in Fusion, is fine and quite readable even in bright sunlight. The Menu knob does have a slight audible click when you press it but I found if you grab the knob from its side and carefully push it in it will silent the click for those times you need to get into the menu and you are close to a microphone. Audio wise Nomad sounds great - the new mic pre’s that Zaxcom is using really rock.

As of now there is no manual for Nomad yet. But given that I’ve had very little issues navigating through menus – though I do highly recommend that, with or without a manual, you should familiarize yourself with Nomad before you take it out in the field. There is a lot going on in this machine and you don't want to be fooling around with things on set while everybody is "waiting for sound".

Jack

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reiveiw Jack.

A few screens shots would be nice and would provide us kind of a guided tour :-)

As for a tryout, many of us won't be able to do it for a while, that's why I'm a fan of manuals in general; I can already picutre things out when I can get one in advance.

Release is for october now, right ?

What's your setup with Nomad? Lectro wireless? Any stray RF coming from Nomad?

My current RF set-up is Lectro 411a into the bag and Zaxcom camera sends. When I do a scan on my 411's - I get a few random RF hits perhaps one or two pixels in hight. Nothing major and nothing to be overly concerned about.

Release is for october now, right ?

The word is they will start shiping in Sepetember

Hey Jack, can you show a few of the input/output matrix screens? I'm guessing that Nomad doesn't have a touch screen like Deva/Fusion, so are you entering in the "X's" with rotating and pushing the selector knob?

Thanks,

I will when I get a chance - but you can get an idea by looking at the headphone program menu. It is essentially the same thing - on the grid you select the cross points by rotating and pushing in the menu knob. And the output matrix and record matrix gives you the ability of selecting pre and post fade you can also get a phase invert option as well.

A few things I would love to know:

How do you control the AES inputs? Volume, panning, routing, etc. Can they easily be used with the AES outputs on a QRX100 receiver as if it was plugged in via one of the analog inputs?

When booming and mixing at the same time can you turn channels on/off, assign channels, adjust volumes, etc with one hand? For example, on the Cantar, you need both hands to route a channel to the left/right output for a camera mix. I hope this isn't the case for the Nomad.

I just watched a video about the Nomad on the Coffey Sound website and perhaps I misunderstood but it sounded like XLR outputs 1-4 are the same as TA5 outputs 1/2 and 3/4. As in, it is the same signal going out those physical outputs and they are redundant. Is this the case?

I'm thinking about getting a Fusion 12 for bag work and the occasional movie. After playing with the Nomad do you feel it is an upgrade/replacement for the Fusion line out is the Nomad the little brother in that line?

After playing with the Nomad do you feel it is an upgrade/replacement for the Fusion line out is the Nomad the little brother in that line?

This is something that has been my concern lately, especially due to the price gap between fusion 12 and nomad 12. Honestly, I don't see too many perks for the fusion for the price gap.

The Fusion 12 does have 8 XLR mic pres plus the AES inputs which are all controllable through the front panel knobs (at least I believe you can control the AES inputs through those knobs).

I like that the Nomad has the IFB transmitter/receiver built right in.

I wonder if the Nomad can be controlled via the Mix 8 and 12? I believe this question has come up before butt I don't remember seeing the answer.

...I'm thinking about getting a Fusion 12 for bag work and the occasional movie. After playing with the Nomad do you feel it is an upgrade/replacement for the Fusion line out is the Nomad the little brother in that line?

Three major perks for the Fusion (and the Deva 5.8 and Deva 16) are that it is available and refined and proven. Also, the Fusion's touch screen navigation is much more convenient for many functions, including metadata entry and signal routing. My guess is that the eventual upgrade for the Fusion and Deva recorders will be based on and adapt much of the Nomad processing, but with a additional features of the Fusion and Deva recorders. When wondering what the time frame may be, keep in mind that the device "based on" must follow a device that's not even available yet, that was shown in hardware form a 1-1/2 years ago.

Glen Trew

I'm thinking about getting a Fusion 12 for bag work and the occasional movie. After playing with the Nomad do you feel it is an upgrade/replacement for the Fusion line out is the Nomad the little brother in that line?

Fusion has eq. Nomad doesn't (minus a low cut and a pair of notch filters).

It has been well documented - the Nomad will work with the mix-8, though not the mix-12.

Round all this up:

Fusion + mix-12 = full featured cart based system (doesn't contain the DVD-Ram burner like the bigger Devas though)

Nomad + mix-8 = still rocks, but not as many bells n whistles.

Fusion + mix-8 = what I've got right now and still trying to decide which version of the Nomad I'll get :)

-Greg-

How do you control the AES inputs? Volume, panning, routing, etc. Can they easily be used with the AES outputs on a QRX100 receiver as if it was plugged in via one of the analog inputs?

AES is inputted via the DB 15 connector and selected in the menu as a digital input and adjusted with the user assigned fader.

When booming and mixing at the same time can you turn channels on/off, assign channels, adjust volumes, etc with one hand? For example, on the Cantar, you need both hands to route a channel to the left/right output for a camera mix. I hope this isn't the case for the Nomad.

Almost all operations can be accomplished with one hand. The left / right pan is very easy with the ENG pan mode which allows you to pan left right or center for all faders using just the menu knob. Track assignments can also be done with one hand you just need to go to the card assign bus then adjust the cross points with the menu knob.

I just watched a video about the Nomad on the Coffey Sound website and perhaps I misunderstood but it sounded like XLR outputs 1-4 are the same as TA5 outputs 1/2 and 3/4. As in, it is the same signal going out those physical outputs and they are redundant. Is this the case?

Yes they are the same. Nomad has six output buses. Bus 1 thru 4 are mirrored on both XLR 1-4 as well as TA5 1/2 and 3/4 then bus 5 and 6 are just on TA5 5/6