Strange interference picked up by my KMR81i

BradTheSoundGuy

Hi guys and gals,

First time poster, sporadic reader here (trying to read more and more all the time).

I was working an EPK yesterday and encountered a strange buzz I imagine was picked up by my shotgun. I was on my 3rd interview of the day - just the one subject each time who had been lav'd and boomed - and because of shadows had to scoop with the boom.

The subject was sitting in a chair outside, and his chair was directly over a huge AC run the production was using. A couple of times I picked up a really strange buzz that went away when I adjusted the position of my boom slightly. I've never encountered this before and am a little concerned as I bought my Neumann used ( but from a very reputable mixer). The boom was hardwired, so RF hits are out, but I'm wondering if somehow the AC run emitted something the boom picked up. Actually, as I type this out, it seems like that would be exactly the problem, but I figured I'd listen to other opinions anyway.

The only other instance I've had an issue was at a huge outdoor festival where certain locations presented similar instances of strange noise picked up by the boom.

I record everything to my 552 so I could probably find instance of the buzz if it would help at all. Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi guys and gals,

First time poster, sporadic reader here (trying to read more and more all the time).

I was working an EPK yesterday and encountered a strange buzz I imagine was picked up by my shotgun. I was on my 3rd interview of the day - just the one subject each time who had been lav'd and boomed - and because of shadows had to scoop with the boom.

The subject was sitting in a chair outside, and his chair was directly over a huge AC run the production was using. A couple of times I picked up a really strange buzz that went away when I adjusted the position of my boom slightly. I've never encountered this before and am a little concerned as I bought my Neumann used ( but from a very reputable mixer). The boom was hardwired, so RF hits are out, but I'm wondering if somehow the AC run emitted something the boom picked up. Actually, as I type this out, it seems like that would be exactly the problem, but I figured I'd listen to other opinions anyway.

The only other instance I've had an issue was at a huge outdoor festival where certain locations presented similar instances of strange noise picked up by the boom.

I record everything to my 552 so I could probably find instance of the buzz if it would help at all. Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers

ive heard interference on my kmr81 from domestic fluorescent lights, and once on an exterior scene when i had the mic near a box on the wall outside a building, though fortunately the boom was only ever near it when i was relaxing whilst re-setting before the next take. i never did find out what the cause might have been but it did sound similar to the noise you get if you have a mic too close to the antenna of my ifb100 - like right next to it.

so i wouldnt rule out rf hits, just not from tv stations or radio mics.

The Neumann KMR-81i, as nice as it sounds, is among the boom mics susceptible to noise from RF. i've experienced the same noise you described when it was caused by camera mounted video transmitters (i.e. Modulus) and remote focus controlers. And, yes, the sound changes when adjusting the mic position.

Glen Trew

The trick to keeping the temperature just right for a dry-out is to hold the object in the palm of your hand ..then you know how much heat is being applied...if your hand starts to feel too hot,so does the object start to feel too much heat.

BVS

Thanks everyone. I should have worded that better tho - I meant the boom isn't wireless so it's not getting RF hits in that manner. Oh well, nbd.

About getting it wet - mine got soaked shooting in Gwaii Hannas a few years ago, and I was staying on a boat the whole time. Stuck it in the engine room and it dried out in no time. This is a different one giving me the noise issues tho.

I guess I might start looking into a different shotgun. Twice is too many times for interference like that to happen in my mind...

I think it's quite likely you could get interference (buzz) from a big power run on ANY microphone if it's as close as you described. It can come through the cable and connectors too.

The logical choice here would have been to move the subject away from such a hostile spot.

Don't abandon your lovely mic for this random, and controllable, occurrence.

Robert