Video transmitter/receiver

pvanstry

Hi guys. Currently working on a shoot where I could use swing the image frame limit in order to boom closer. Looking at video transmitter and receiver kit that would work. I would need something that works in a bag and could be powered by my NP-1.

Any ideas? Please if possible reasonable price ( as in less than 500$ ) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pascal

Before the digital TV switchover you used to see TV watches. I had heard rumors that a few mixers were using them for boom ops, with a VHF transmitter. Obviously a tiny image, but it would be enough to check frame and right on their wrist. I have not seen them since the DTV switchover, but that might work.

Hi pascal

I'm using this at the moment - on the documentary series I'm doing. There's lots on long lens, defo, foreground background stuff. I can keep an eye on the DOP and he listens in as I chase the dialogue around the room. post-490-131366921934.jpg

Takes the guess work out of wide shot cutaway or sync....

It's a 4 channel baby monitor that uses the same frequencies as the Transvideo system. They're on eBay at around $80; matching transmitters are available. Powered off 4 rechargable AA batteries, saving the NP1 for 788/cl8, zaxcom and lectros : )

Hi pascal

I'm using this at the moment - on the documentary series I'm doing. There's lots on long lens, defo, foreground background stuff. I can keep an eye on the DOP and he listens in as I chase the dialogue around the room. post-490-131366921934.jpg

Takes the guess work out of wide shot cutaway or sync....

It's a 4 channel baby monitor that uses the same frequencies as the Transvideo system. They're on eBay at around $80; matching transmitters are available. Powered off 4 rechargable AA batteries, saving the NP1 for 788/cl8, zaxcom and lectros : )

Can you provide a link? There are so many listed on Ebay. Couldn't find one that had a transmitter only cameras.

Thanks,

Bernie

Looks like Ricsonix has something cooking too...

http://www.ricsonix.com/

I've used the baby monitor system but found it to be unreliable most of the time. Range was never great, and image quality was always shaky, but for the price you can't really complain about those things.

I gave my system away to a cameraman mate as a spare.

This site has all sorts of 2.4ghz video options, though they do not include switching power supplies, frequency hopping, standard connectors or DC throughput which makes the Ricsonix options the size they are. I am putting together my own version, using a more home-brew method than the Ricsonix, i am hoping to get it down around the size of a cordless home phone, including the battery.

http://rf-links.com/newsite/index.html

I cant fully recommend this yet but am testing one out and so far seems pretty decent. Tx and Rx power off 12V DC, the units do get fairly hot when powered up for long periods also you need to terminate the cables with whatever connectors you need but seems to be a viable system combined with a small LCD monitor.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15295__5_8g_200mw_FPV_Wireless_AV_Tx_Rx_Set.html

I cant fully recommend this yet but am testing one out and so far seems pretty decent. Tx and Rx power off 12V DC, the units do get fairly hot when powered up for long periods also you need to terminate the cables with whatever connectors you need but seems to be a viable system combined with a small LCD monitor.

http://www.hobbyking..._Tx_Rx_Set.html

Very interested in your final opinion Jonathan.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

ALL SYSTEMS that operate in the 2.4ghz range suffer from spectrum congestion. So much stuff is jammed in there that its amazing that anything works; wifi, security systems, baby monitors, cordless telephones as well as the pro Transvideo systems.

There are 5ghz systems but not sure that the shorter Freq will have the punch required.

Not sure what Ric's system is based on.....

The Teradek is pretty neat. If I read properly, you could have a Teradek Cube on the camera, and it will stream the video & audio through WiFi, so you can view on an iPod touch or an iPhone in your bag (I have an unactivated iPhone 3G that I could use which is guaranteed not to ring or receive texts ;) and an iPad at the cart.

Wifi RF looks like the new enemy. My current location is wired totally for wifi. So 2.4 everywhere. My main radios are in blk 28 and I've had to do a lot a fine tuning to get 4 freqs that work fine across the the whole facility. Freqs that scan ok on the Lectro receivers presented problems in practical use. I suspect multipath Freq division on the 2.4 wifi.

Anyone else come across this?