Panasonic WM61a Capsule?

Kriky

Has anyone tried wiring these mics? My neighbor is a musician and bought a bunch. He doesn't have great soldering skills and asked me if I would solder it up for him. Here is some of the info he has sent me on the capsules.

http://www.directap....Microphones.htm

http://www.mp3forkidz.com/mic/mod.html

http://moosapotamus....THINGS/mics.htm

Also, I have no real knowledge on reading schematics. A friend recommended I get Electronic Projects for Musicians and go through some of the DIY kits to get a better understanding. Would anyone have any other recommendations for learning more about what we use? I would love to open a schematic and understand what I am looking at.

Thanks

Kriky

They're ok. The main problem I found with working with capsules like this is the packaging, the mic body--which is about 50% of a mic's sound. A lot of man-years of research and testing have gone into designing the bodies of the mics we like. These capsules work well for utility mics (slate, talkback etc) but making a really usable mic for recording with these is beyond the engineering skills of most of us. Maybe you'll discover something--let us know!

phil p

" no real knowledge on reading schematics. "

this will be a major handicap, no matter how good your soldering skills...

" the packaging, the mic body--which is about 50% of a mic's sound. "

I find it difficult to put a specific number on the relationship, as they are completely integrated and interdependent. A good comparison would be speaker drivers --separated from their electronics and enclosures..

" no real knowledge on reading schematics. "

this will be a major handicap, no matter how good your soldering skills...

I won't be reading the schematics my neighbor will. He knows what is what. I'm simply the one with the soldering skills. So, that won't be a problem. But I would love to be able to read them with out the help of someone else.

Thanks for the link John. I will be looking into it.

Kriky

" So, that won't be a problem. "

Maybe, maybe not...

Well, let me say it again. It is not a problem. And in fact the mic has been wired and sounds, when compared with a Tram, to my ears to have a little better low end freq responce while the mids and highs seem to be comparable. I wouldn't not use it as a lav, or use it at all, but it could be useful for what my neighbor is looking to do with it. To add some variation to the mics he is already using for music recording. And in fact it could come in handy as a plant mic. But once again I probable would never use it since I have a boat load of mics already.

Kriky