• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Cave-digging artist finds inspiration underground

Published on May 18, 2014

For the past 25 years, Ra Paulette has been carving out man-made caves from the sandstone hills of New Mexico, and then sculpting these spaces into works of art he calls wilderness shrines. Lee Cowan has the story of an artist who does his best work underground.

(When I was called to work on this, unfortunately for me, I was not available. I turned it over to a good friend of mine. I'm really sorry I missed the chance.

True story... )

14 hours ago, new mexico said:

Cave-digging artist finds inspiration underground

Published on May 18, 2014

For the past 25 years, Ra Paulette has been carving out man-made caves from the sandstone hills of New Mexico, and then sculpting these spaces into works of art he calls wilderness shrines. Lee Cowan has the story of an artist who does his best work underground.

(When I was called to work on this, unfortunately for me, I was not available. I turned it over to a good friend of mine. I'm really sorry I missed the chance.

True story... )

Amazing!!! I bet you're kicking yourself for this one! Such a great story and humbleness from Rob. Such an artist. I would love to live in one of those creations. Such a grounding experience being surrounded by all that Earth, especially the "Tree of Human Kindness".

3 hours ago, old school said:

image.jpeg

Crew, thank you for sharing, is this one of yours?

Very nice, Stilweii. Simple, and unique. I like it. Thank you for sharing! I hope we can see more.

I have also played with the idea of exploring photography, between jobs, but I enjoy the solitude too much, to have a boss. Maybe some set photography would be nice as a starter.

"A series of photographic works titled 'A Woman's Work is Never Done' Using my own hand as a base material, I considered it a canvas upon which I stitched into the top layer of skin using thread to create the appearance of an incredibly work worn hand. By using the technique of embroidery, which is traditionally employed to represent femininity and applying it to the expression of its opposite, I hope to challenge the pre-conceived notion that 'women's work' is light and easy. Aiming to represent the effects of hard work arising from employment in low paid 'ancillary' jobs, such as cleaning, caring and catering, all traditionally considered to be 'women's work'.

"The technique, I recall first applying to my hand under a table during a home economics class in school. I was totally amazed to find that I could pass a needle under the top layers of skin without any pain, only a mild discomfort. As with many childhood whims it passed and I hadn't thought any more about it until quite recently when I decided to apply the process to my hand to make it appear calloused and work worn like that of a manual labourer. Some viewers consider the piece to be a feminist protest, for me it's about human value. After all, there are many men employed in caring, catering, cleaning etc... all jobs traditionally considered to be 'women's work'. Such work is invisible in the larger society, with 'A woman's work' I aim to represent it." ——Eliza Bennett

I will admit, that as a child, in classrooms, bored, I would do this with saftey pins, just piercing the top layer. it was more fun that listening to the teacher, at that time. Couldn't imagine doing what Eliza does here. That's dedication to your craft. I am curious how she took all of this off her hand. Re-threading all of that out, or did she go loose tooth, or band-aid action on it, and just rip it all out? Or would it simply fall out as your skin regenerates itself over time?

A-Womans-Work-Is-Never-Done-Eliza-Bennett-1.jpg

A-Woman-Work-Is-Never-Done-Eliza-Bennett-7.jpg

A-Woman-Work-Is-Never-Done-Eliza-Bennett-6.jpg

A-Woman-Work-Is-Never-Done-Eliza-Bennett-5.jpg

A-Woman-Work-Is-Never-Done-Eliza-Bennett-4.jpg

A-Woman-Work-Is-Never-Done-Eliza-Bennett-3.jpg

A-Woman-Work-Is-Never-Done-Eliza-Bennett-2.jpg

12 hours ago, old school said:

A piece of art (architecture) being destroyed here in EastLos.  Shot w my iPhone heading N on the 101. The demise of the 6th Street Bridge.

image.jpeg

It use to continue over where the camera shot the picture.

CrewC

Reading this LA Times article  (And, not necessarily being 'SoCal" literate -  )

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-0207-bridge-demolition-20160207-story.html

Made me curious:

Uploaded on Apr 3, 2011

No narration. Music soundtrack only:

• 2 weeks later...

Ohhh, I like that, John. Very well done. Thank you for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking, what programs are you using? This reminded me that I need to do research on digital art platforms, as my daughter has expressed interest in going digital, and I am all for the less waste issues. I am hoping for something that has the best tactal response so it at least feels organic, but I understand that's probably not something that can be easily replicated. I appreciate any input you might have. Again, thank you for sharing!!

-  -  -  -  - 

Uploaded by #inspirasjonstryn

"By creating mesmerizing designs in the snow just by walking in a pair of snowshoes -

the British artist Simon Beck takes hiking in the mountains to a whole other level.

Simon Beck was one of 4 artists that were invited to Stryn in Norway.

The inspiration they found here led to unique art projects!

#inspirasjonstryn
    facebook.com/inspirasjonstryn

sb01.jpg

sb2.jpg

sb3.jpg

sb4.jpg

sb5.jpg

sb6.jpg

sb7.jpg

sb8.jpg

sb9.jpg

sb10.jpg

sb11.jpg

Google Images: Simon Beck Snow Artist (more examples)

404800_375889789091160_2008816427_n.jpg

simon-beck-8.jpg

Rock Posters!!

I thought this would be an easy subject to discuss, but I am overwhelmed with the amount of art history with this topic. It's a ton! And I am willing to bet there are some serious history buffs on this subject among us, that I fully encourage to add to this conversation. So... I will only graze this surface with what influenced me in this art, and let it flow from there. I've included a short video with one of the originators of rock poster art, Stanley Mouse, for a small history into this art scene, that started with promotions and marketing guru Bill Graham commissioning artists like Stanley Mouse, Alton Kelley, Wes Wilson, Victor Moscoso, and Rick Griffin to create the legendary Fillmore Posters.

I was recently reminded of rock poster art, and I immediately transported back to college. Damn, the power of music. You have to love it! From 93-97, I was pretty well involved in the local music scene via the college radio scene, and internships with major record labels. Seen some of the biggest bands in the smallest clubs of Cleveland, and this artist was making many of the poster art for venues that fit only a couple hundred people, and of course even the big venues. Derek Hess and his artwork, spoke to me on a deep level at that time in my life, as he made artwork for many of the bands that also spoke to me. Being a local artist, we had access to his art, as his pieces routinely showed up in the local music Scene magazine. I had to leave Cleveland to realize how well known he was. I now feel fortunate to have been that close and seen his art so easily.  

56d79bb836aac_ScreenShot2016-03-02at6.3756d79bbf9782e_ScreenShot2016-03-02at6.3656d79bc5011ba_ScreenShot2016-03-02at6.3656d79bcfad4eb_ScreenShot2016-03-02at6.3556d79bdab6316_ScreenShot2016-03-02at6.3556d79be406c8e_ScreenShot2016-03-02at6.3556d79bf352cf2_ScreenShot2016-03-02at6.3456d79bfbea7ef_ScreenShot2016-03-02at6.34

Amazingly enough, there's even video with Derek....