iPhone 5 on Sprint

Jeff Wexler

post-1-0-69921200-1314141374.jpg

The Wall Street Journal reports that Sprint will offer the iPhone 5 when it launches later this year, becoming the third U.S. carrier to offer the iPhone. According to the report, the iPhone 5 will launch simultaneously on Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T in "mid-October".

Sprint Nextel Corp. will begin selling the iPhone 5 in mid-October, people familiar with the matter said, closing a huge hole in the No. 3 U.S. carrier's lineup and giving Apple Inc. another channel for selling its popular phone.

The timing, however, indicates Apple's new iPhone will hit the market later than expected and too late to contribute to sales in the company's fiscal fourth quarter, which ends in September. Most observers had expected the device to arrive next month.

The iPhone 5 will debut on AT&T and Verizon at the same time, and Sprint is said to also be gaining the iPhone 4.

AT&T was the exclusive iPhone carrier in the United States until earlier this year, when Apple released a CDMA version of the iPhone 4 for Verizon. Sprint also operates a CDMA network.

The iPhone on Sprint has been a popular topic for rumor and speculation, especially since Verizon landed the iPhone earlier this year. Several analysts had claimed that the iPhone would be coming to Sprint by the end of this year, and an Apple job posting located near Sprint's Kansas headquarters back in May further fueled speculation that Apple was working with the carrier to launch the iPhone.

Looks like my 15-year affair with Palm will finally be coming to an end. From the first Palm Pilot through many Treos and 2+ years with my Palm Pre. I've been extremely happy with Sprint these past two years. Fantastic customer service and a HUGE savings over Verizon (We have 4 smartphones with unlimited data and text). Fewer dropped calls and great signal, too. Sprint was actually was my first cell phone company way back when and had the the WORST customer service ever. Truly horrible. I kept jumping to T-Mobile, then Verizon, and back to Sprint as each company would drop the Treo or not carry the Pre. I love Web OS, but am clearly in the extreme minority. I spent about two hours trying to get excited by the Android Samsung Nexus a couple of months ago when it came out to no avail. Sprint has had so many hardware problems with the Pre that they told me they will not carry the Pre 3 initially.

Anyway, I'm excited to finally jump to the iPhone. I've been all Mac for over 20 years and look forward to the integration. (I think I've had more models of Apple laptops than Lectro wireless, although I bet it's very close!) Quite a boring, self-indulgent, and nostalgic post, I suppose. Just thought I'd share my experience of good customer service and signal with Sprint. And mourn the passing of an era in my life.

Paul

I have to say, my AT&T iPhone was totally dead last week when I was on a shoot in Topanga Canyon. Luckily, I had a backup phone -- a $10 Sprint cell burner -- which worked perfectly. The guy we were interviewing agreed, and said for whatever reason, AT&T was for crap in that area.

I keep hoping Apple will take that $70B and maybe buy a cell carrier, once and for all...

--Marc W.

Hopefully this will enable Working Assets/CREDO to eventually start carrying the iPhone 5 (it's a credit card and mobile company that donates money to charities - and they operate on the Sprint network). I used to be a happy & proud customer of theirs, but when the iPhone 3G came out, I didn't renew my contract and jumped ship to AT&T. I've got a healthy chunk of time left on my current AT&T contract, but maybe by the end CREDO will be in on the party.