Mic Rental - Orlando?

Jaymz

Next month I'll be recording for the Florida International Piano Competition.

5 days (1st and 2nd rounds) are just piano.

1 day will be accompanied by the Orlando Philharmonic.

My mic collection isn't suited for this, so I need to rent a decent matched stereo pair and an MKH40 (or 8040, or 50, or 8050) to go with my 30.

Dates are 6th-11th Sept.

I've tried TAI Audio for an MKH50, but they don't have one in currently. Any other places in Orlando I can rent from?

I spoke to audiorent in California, I'll probably go with them. I'll give Masque a call too, thanks.

This is music recording, not production sound recording...

Of course, one of the reasons I need to rent some stuff. But I got picked up to do it and figured somebody here would know more rental places in my area (I've only been living in the US for 4-5 months).

Out of curiosity, have you had a good conversation with your client about their expectations for the recording? The reason I ask is because recording a full orchestra with a soloist is generally done with quite a few more microphones. Perhaps the client is only looking for a reference or they have minimal budget but if they are expecting a full-on professional audio recording and mix of the group you will need more coverage.

Matthew

" recording a full orchestra with a soloist is generally done with quite a few more microphones. "

maybe, it depends...

but Mathew is amplifying what I was alluding to when I mentioned that this sounds like it could be a but more than you are expecting, Jaymz....

There is a lot more information needed, as well...

As far as I know, the orchestra itself won't have any solo spots. It's focused on the pianists (finalists) with the orchestra accompanying. I'll know for sure when I receive the program and will have to adjust my renting accordingly if required. For now, my plan is a main XY or ORTF pair overlooking the pit and a spaced or MS setup on the piano itself.

For the clients expectations, I've discussed it with them. They'll get a basic stereo "mix" of everything for reference (or however they want to use it) and access to the raw files if they want to take that to a studio for a proper mix and master.