union minimums $ payrates

wolfvid

Thanks for chiming in guys. RPS, that's some very helpful info and I'll be using that as the base of my conversation with this line producer. I think it's a 15 day shoot. If I can get $350/10 + 2 weeks of gear rental close to $1750 and get my choice of boom op for at least $325/10 it might be worth trying to jump into that crazy feature mixing game here and there!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a list of these rates outside of the 695 members only area?

Yes. Here is the current IATSE Low-Budget Agreement covering 2010-2013:

http://www.iatse411.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/IATSE-Low-Budget-Agreement-2010-2013.pdf

I use this as a starting point for negotiating low-budget deals, even if it's non-union, just so they understand what the normal rate "should" be. 

That's a great .pdf Marc. Thanks for sharing.

I finally chatted with the AD for the project I mentioned and the terms 'passion project' and 'ultra-low budget' escaped her mouth.

I'm pretty sure I'll be staying in the commercial/promo game and outta the feature game a bit longer :)

But I will quote them the rates from the .pdf and the ones RP suggested. If they go for that it may work out.

While I primarily work short term union projects, I have had success quoting the same rates (and sometimes higher ones) to non-union projects.  I think it is worth considering that you are not drawing benefits from non-union gigs, and in effect are losing three times when you take a lower rate there.

1)The lower rate, of course

2)lack of benefits paid by non-union project

3)Subtle detriment here:  Non union projects typically are non-payroll, and you may find yourself subject to an effective 40% tax bracket in the USA when you calculate your taxes on this job.  No, I am not kidding. 

That is in fact the tax hit that all my 1099 employment took in 2011/2012.  This was prior to my itemized deductions, but that is actually  the base cost of working as an independent contractor, responsible for all of the taxes on the money paid out to you.

If you are paid on payroll, then the employer bears some of that cost themselves

"and outta the feature game "

all "features" are not created equal...

" in effect are losing three times when you take a lower rate there. "

I'd say 4 times, but some may consider this part of #3:

the employer portion of FICA (Social Security) contributions if it is not payroll...

that can be a noticeable hit!

Edited by studiomprd

"and outta the feature game "

all "features" are not created equal...

" in effect are losing three times when you take a lower rate there. "

I'd say 4 times, but some may consider this part of #3:

the employer portion of FICA (Social Security) contributions if it is not payroll

yeah.. it is part of the subset I meant for category 3