FinalCut Studio back on the market

Jeff Wexler

post-1-0-58592500-1314918877.jpg

Apple has put the previous version of its Final Cut Studio video editing suite back on sale after a mixed reception to the new and completely redesigned Final Cut X. Word has it that Apple had issued a memo this afternoon announcing re-availability of the product.

It has been confirmed with an Apple telesales representative at 800-MY-APPLE that Final Cut Studio, part number MB642Z/A, is again available for $999 (and $899 for educational customers). The product is only available through the 800-number and is not available in Apple Retail Stores or on the Apple Online Store.

Apple's about to release an API for XML export from FCPX. That's a step in the right direction. Last week Apple also shipped a batch of FCS3 (FCP7+ Color, etc.) full and upgrade boxes to select resellers (so their marketing emails to me say). It's not clear to me if the 800-MY-APPLE is also selling FCS3 upgrades; a phone call would answer that question, but I'll let someone else make the call.

But for us, as we plan the next year of work, we'll probably be using Avid Media Composer more (editors will make that call), will give Premiere Pro a shot on a long-lead time 12-min magazine piece (so we can bail if needed), and continue to play with FCPX. FCPX 1.0 doesn't do it for us, but there's something interesting going on in that database-driven editor.

FCPX 1.0 is like a hybrid car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds and still gets 80mpg...but that currently ships without tires (and some say no steering wheel), can't run on many roads, doesn't work well with the most-commonly available fuel, and...

1.1 and 1.5 should be much more interesting.

FCPX 1.0 is like a hybrid car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds and still gets 80mpg...but that currently ships without tires (and some say no steering wheel), can't run on many roads, doesn't work well with the most-commonly available fuel, and...

Best analogy I've heard so far.

I'm impressed and thankful that Apple has continued FCP7 for awhile. I heard through the grapevine that schools were complaining vociferously, and threatening to make drastic changes to have their students buy many hundreds of copies of Premiere and/or Avid, and that was one thing that convinced Apple to hold off on 7 for the immediate future.

I bet FCPX might eventually work, but it's not there yet from what I see.

--Marc W.

It is important to note that Apple is not reviving Final Cut Studio 7. They are simply selling off existing inventory and sales will be limited to remaining stock on hand. So I don't think it would be a good idea for a school to purchase a bunch of FCP7 and continue teaching students with an obsolete and non supported version of the product. They should either switch to FCPX for the "Next generation of home based editors". Or switch to Adobe Premiere Pro or AVID for what's left of the Professional Post market.

It is important to note that Apple is not reviving Final Cut Studio 7. They are simply selling off existing inventory and sales will be limited to remaining stock on hand.

This is an important clarification. Far too many people got all excited thinking that this announcement was some sort of major turnaround from Apple --- it was basically an inventory sell off the only turnaround from Apple was a reversal of their initial policy of making new licenses unavailable once they introduced FinalCut Pro X. Here is my prediction: lots and lots of individuals, schools and facilities are going to chuck Final Cut Pro and go over to (or back to) Adobe Premiere and Avid. In a fairly short period of time, editors with a spirit of adventure will start working with the new Final Cut Pro X software (which by this time will have all sorts of new features and functionality added to the initial version 1.0). Gradually, many of those who went over to Adobe Premiere and Avid will start using Final Cut Pro X and love it.

It is important to note that Apple is not reviving Final Cut Studio 7. They are simply selling off existing inventory and sales will be limited to remaining stock on hand.

Courtney, I'm not following all this super closely, but where did you see reports that Apple is only selling off existing inventory? That was the guess during the first and second restocking of FCS3 (mainly through VARs and a couple box houses). But Apple selling it at their 800 number could be filled by a new product run. I'm not saying it is or isn't; I'm saying I don't know.

I guess it's not all that important, but have you seen reports that this is all still excess inventory?

" threatening to make drastic changes "

not just threatining, but making them, effective already at many schools, including Art Center College of Design in Pasadena...

Yep, exactly what happened, almost instantly. Went to Avid, and "hey".... now they can have PT and Avid on the same machines.....

not exactly the right way, but it's the college way. Just as fast as FCP came in around 1997 with Avid's claim at NAB that they would no longer be supporting the apple platform, they were going NT, FCP is getting dumped.

"How Cool is That?"