New Lectrosonics SM Remote App, "LectroRM"

Solid Goldberger

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great app!

I would like to a see a bigger activate button. Ultimately, actually triggered by the volume buttons would be my dream.

I can see situations where I would have to contortion myself to reach an actor( car work ). it would be helpful in that situation if I were not worrying about my finger hitting the on-screen" activate" target. Worse yet, inadvertently bumping a setting by accident and walking away thinking I made the correct adjustment and instead made things worse.

Thanks once more!

John

iOS Opinion (Important, I need a lot of responses on this one): How would people feel about me completely flipping the interface around (Upside Down Orientation)? The reasoning being that the speaker is on the bottom of the device. I could of course make the app flip in response to the way the device is held, but i never really liked the screen flipping by surprise.

Hey James,

I would totally dig the option to re-orient the screen. I think it would be best to leave this as an option though. Maybe just a small button in the corner with a little "arrows-chasing-eachothers-tails" icon on it.

While I'm dishing opinions, I also wouldn't object to a slightly larger activate button, as well a a co-ord or even personal freq preset menu. If I had to chose one, I would opt for the user programmable preset list (I can always enter my own coordinated freqs)

Hope you're well,

Wyatt

iOS Opinion (Important, I need a lot of responses on this one): How would people feel about me completely flipping the interface around (Upside Down Orientation)?

Good idea. I was kind of struggling to look at the screen, then quickly turning it upside down towards the lav just as I hit the button. If the button was on the side of the screen opposite the little tiny iPhone speaker, that would be a lot more convenient.

--Marc W.

iOS Opinion (Important, I need a lot of responses on this one): How would people feel about me completely flipping the interface around (Upside Down Orientation)? The reasoning being that the speaker is on the bottom of the device. I could of course make the app flip in response to the way the device is held, but i never really liked the screen flipping by surprise.

That would be brilliant!

I use an app that auto rotates but also has a small orientation-lock button in the corner.

Maybe add something like that and set it's default state to lock?

Change in plans: I believe I have a solution to the small activate button issue. The activate button is now replaced with an activate switch. When the switch is turned On, the settings spinners clear and a very large button appears with the current setting. Pressing this button will then activate the tone.

Update is pending app store approval. Let me know what you all think. And in case anyone is wondering: it is not possible to make the Activate switch any larger.

Cheers,

James

Love the app!

I just updated to the latest version for android, and now when I activate the tone, it first vibrates a quick burst then plays the tone. Is there a reason for that?

I really like the idea of the big activation button, any plans on implementing that on the android? I usually dial up the settings I want while I walk over to the actor, so having a big button to push to play the tone would be great.

On the Motorola Droid 2 Global.

Thanks

K

Hey K,

The vibration is in the android version so that the user knows when the tone is activating even if they keep the volume too low to hear it at hands reach.

(You're going to be super jealous when you see what the iPhone people are getting)

The first implementation of the app was for my personal use on my android phone, and I will admit the user interface wasn't my first concern. Instead, I programmed in features like the presets and the volume control (which isn't a built in control like the iphone version). By the time I got to the iPhone version, I had all of the logic and tone generation figured out, and the user interface lends itself more to a multipage organization. And even then, the way to implement a large activate button was more like an eleventh hour stroke of insight (literally: last night at 11pm). Doing so with the Android version would require an overhaul of the user interface, which is not to say that it couldn't benefit from a UI overhaul.

My plans for the future, unless there are any other major concerns, are to finish up some minor details with the apps: add an information button with some instructions, faqs, etc; update the graphic art; and remove the N/A channels from the frequency lists. And then I will work on the next app, which I think people will really enjoy.

I hope that it will be ok to leave the Android UI as is for now. I will revisit it in the future. Working on this next app will also make me more practiced with the Android UI apis as well, so I will be able to apply that experience to the LectroRM app when I do revisit it. Until then, there is still plenty of work to be done. Keep up with the criticisms though. I'll do my best to accomodate user interests while keeping with the scheme, plan, etc.

Thanks,

J

FYI, I've been using both the version by Ambient and the version by James LaFarge. In my experience, the most used feature is putting the transmitters in SLEEP MODE to save batteries. The actors think it's very cool and appreciate the having the privacy without having to get into the wardrobe. After I showed them on the Venue screen that it works, they are confident that they have privacy. It's also very nice not having to get inside wardrobe to change batteries after lunch or other long waiting periods.

If this was the only feature needed, the Ambient would probably be the way to go. However, the second most needed adjustment is the gain control (as things get loud or soft). I don't need this feature often, but when the actor decides that screaming is required, and the pack is up high under a tight skirt, it's very handy to dial in a setting on my iPhone and make the change. But since the Ambient can't make that adjustment, you have to have the app by James LaFarge for that feature.

What to do? If you could only have one, I'd say get access to all of the controls with the James LaFarge version. But for another $10, I suggest doing what I did and get the Ambient too.

Glen Trew

Love the toggle switches and the big button! It fixes my issue exactly. Before I kept accidentally changing frequency when trying to put the transmitter to sleep, now I can change all my settings, and know I'm going to only activate the one I want.

Personally, the gui works fine for me, I like the single page layout with presets, although I guess I could get used to a multipage gui, unless there is a lot more content to be added, I like having everything accessable in one place.

I'm on the same page as glen, I use sleep/unsleep most often, and volume settings second. Everything else I use seldomly, although when needed, changing frequency is paramount. Haven't used lock yet.

One note, upon updating (automaticly) my presets are gone. Not really a big deal, I hadn't set up many presets, but I plan on setting presets for the intermod chart so I don't have to look it up.

Thanks for the button feature, and the quick updates!

K

http://wanderingear.net

Ah yes. I need to put that into the notes. I switched copy protection schemes for Android. It's recommended by Google because it allows use of Android store purchases on rooted devices and allows an app to be transfered to an SD card (not mine though because then I'd have to drop support for Android 1.5-2.1). But it causes the data to be stored in a different way and therefore resets the presets in the program. Thanks for letting me know.

Sincerely,

James

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Concerning the Info button: I pushed it and first, Prev and Next text is superimposed in the button and second, most importantly, I can't get rid ot the window so I can't use the app..! Tried to shut down the app and restart but no success...

Tried to turn the phone off and on again;, yep, the only thing that'll seem to work.

iPhone 4S.

Concerning the Info button: I pushed it and first, Prev and Next text is superimposed in the button and second, most importantly, I can't get rid ot the window so I can't use the app..! Tried to shut down the app and restart but no success...

Tried to turn the phone off and on again;, yep, the only thing that'll seem to work.

iPhone 4S.

I have had the same issue using the same phone. Somehow I did get rid of info screen without turning the phone off and on. Can't remember how alas, as I just mashed a whole lot of buttons till it went away. Haven't used the info button since.

Interesting... I will look into it. I know this isn't a real fix, but if anyone else gets stuck, try clicking the home button to get back to the home menu, then double click the home button to bring up the multitasking bar. Then press and hold the app icon and press the x that appears in order to force close the app.

OK, so that issue had to do with some changes made in iOS 5. I corrected the issue and the update is now pending on iTunes. Downloading version 1.41 once it has passed Apple review will make the info screen work properly for both iOS 4 and iOS 5 users.

Thanks for the feedback,

James