iWeb to Wordpress

Jeff Wexler

This could be useful for any of us that have websites we have built with iWeb but would like to be on the Wordpress platform. With iWEb websites you have always had the option of hosting the site on your own server account (not Apple .mac/mobileme) but the future of iWeb software is also in question as MobileMe support goes away.

Convert Your iWeb Blog to a WordPress Blog

Do you want a more professional, more SEO friendly blog?

Are you worried with what will happen once MobileMe is discontinued?

Now you can quickly and easily convert your iWeb blog to a WordPress blog. Simply export your iWeb website to a Local folder and import it into iWeb to WordPress. In just minutes you will get all of your blog posts and comments into WordPress.

Rage Software

post-1-0-69466900-1315693838.jpg

Nice site, Zack. I really like Wordpress too but I'm not that good with it and there are times when the Wordpress way of doing things seems to be fighting what I want to do. The new site for CAS (Cinema Audio Society) will be using the Wordpress platform, a big improvement over the old website primarily because we can do quick and easy updates from any computer with an Internet connection and a browser.

hehe.. thanks for the free plug there Jeff. To answer your question Rob... the wordpress software is free from my understanding, but they ask that you keep certain things in the code like "powered by wordpress" etc..etc.. There's a ton of sites that offer free themes that range from very simple to very complicated (depending upon how savy you are with html or php scripting). The software can be run locally, but I've never tried doing it that way honestly. I've just uploaded it to my host and done the installation remotely. There's things you have to make sure to set up prior to doing so though like if your host service has a their servers updated to handle the software correctly, set up the proper data tables (myphp admin stuff) etc..etc.. Once that's all configured correctly, the rest is pretty simple. The wordpress installation instructions are easy to follow and I've never had an issue other than learning the little things in the code to customize things myself. There's a ton of resources out there to learn how to manipulate it... try youtube for tutorials :).

Cheers,

Just to clarify... Wordpress is free if you install it on your own webserver or it has a monthly fee if used on a Wordpress server. Worpress won't run on your local computer because it requires PHP and an Apache server (which you can install locally but it's probably not worth it). The software called "iWeb to Worpress" costs $49.95. iWeb to Worpress requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later (Intel) or Mac OS X 10.4 or later (Intel/PowerPC) and iWeb 3.0.x.