Goodbye H4N, Hello Roland R26

Angelo Waldron

I'm concerned by the claim of "three stereo" on the 6-channel recording. Does that mean that it will be a mandatory stereo track, and trying to feed it different signals, no matter the input, will end up with mixed wav files?

I hope not. I haven't messed with my Zoom H4 to see if it would do true 4 track using the minijack input, but I don't think the original H4 that I have can even do that. If the H4N can... Nice upgrade, that would be better for doing iso backups from my 442, which is all I really would want the Roland to do too.

That touchscreen does look very cool though.

same problem as the h4n or others in this category - need to use a remote to control level. trying to hold in hand and make changes in level translates as handling noise.

for general amb - can be used effectively by placing on some surface or using a small tripod (Gorilla). this way, you dont get to change levels during recording unless you wont mind some handling noise in the track.

the h4n remote works well, is the only way to use the recorder with dynamic level control - if you are using the onboard mics.

this goes for ALL handhelds. incuding this new one. I think separating the L and R input levels physically the way it is on this machine is actually a pita if you want to get a stereo recording using internal mics. they could have gone for the concentric pots - like in the Sony PCM D1. Or some of the old Tascam DATs.

not another one! >

yes, another one - without much to offer compared to the earlier ones. imho...

At first glance, similar input structure (2 combo neutriks, 2 mini) as H4N with added option of using built in mics. How much of an advantage is that worth? Depends on price and quality of analog ins and limiter, methinks.

You can use the built in mics simultaneously with the inputs on the H4n as well. Roland can record 6 tracks at once though... But can it double as an audio interface?

"You can use the built in mics simultaneously with the inputs on the H4n"

I don't think you can use the H4N mini, XLR and onboard mics simultaneously..which it seems the Roland can do. Couldn't iso them anyway with just 4 tracks. I suppose the Roland's helpful if you somehow get that tripod mounted unit into a sweet spot and control/monitor from mixer. Eh..again..the quality of inputs and accuracy/lack of drift might make it more useful. It sure looks like a ripoff/upgrade of H4N...if there was a H6N.

"You can use the built in mics simultaneously with the inputs on the H4n"

I don't think you can use the H4N mini, XLR and onboard mics simultaneously..which it seems the Roland can do. Couldn't iso them anyway with just 4 tracks. I suppose the Roland's helpful if you somehow get that tripod mounted unit into a sweet spot and control/monitor from mixer. Eh..again..the quality of inputs and accuracy/lack of drift might make it more useful. It sure looks like a ripoff/upgrade of H4N...if there was a H6N.

Oh yeah I see what you mean. The mini-input on the h4n disables the builtin mics right? I believe the six track recording on the roland is the two stereo mics together plus the inputs... Maybe it's the same as with h4n that plugging aomething into the minitele jack eliminates one pair of the builtin...

Oh yeah I see what you mean. The mini-input on the h4n disables the builtin mics right? I believe the six track recording on the roland is the two stereo mics together plus the inputs... Maybe it's the same as with h4n that plugging aomething into the minitele jack eliminates one pair of the builtin...

Nope, not in all cases. Here's a chart from the page linked to above that shows all the possible configurations in 2, 4 and 6 track mode:

r26_digrm_10.jpg

Best regards,

Jim