XLR connectors - low profile female

snd.waves

Thanks Alex, I used a two part putty that hardens when mixed together, this way the liquid epoxy won't mess up the connector release. then, on top i dripped some epoxy and let it harden. 

Again, this is a used connector, the next time i will use a brand new one. 

I made this for a friend who needed a low profile xlr for his mic inside the windshield. the cable is from Cinela, very soft and light... 

-vin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

am i missing something here... Why dont you just buy these, ive used the previous model without any issues, with light cable even in boom mic ends. http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xlr-cable-connectors/rx-series/

because they are more bulky and heavy. On a long day bag shoot every gram or ounce counts. Especially when you add it all up (6 to 12 xlr connectors in the bag, depends on your rx's) you can safe some serious weight I think when cutting them or use one of the plastic ones mentioned in this tread.

It's quite easy to make your own. The attached photo is 4 males I made for the inputs to my 442. I used Neutrik and apart from drilling a 5mm hole I didn't have to cut any of the body off. When using a cheaper XLR I found that I had to machine the thread off and use a smaller cap.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

post-233-0-49813500-1369476875_thumb.jpg

" On a long day bag shoot every gram or ounce counts. "

:blink:

what do you not understand? Let's rephrase; on days, when working on an ENG kind of shoot, with mixer and all in a bag, strapped to your harness, it will be heavy. So when you can loose some weight, even some grams, it is worthwhile.

what do you not understand? Let's rephrase; on days, when working on an ENG kind of shoot, with mixer and all in a bag, strapped to your harness, it will be heavy. So when you can loose some weight, even some grams, it is worthwhile.

I may be wrong, but I think Senator was referring to other substances that are mesured in grams and ounces.

I think the main reason to make something like this is for the reduced physical size. The neutrik right angles are great but the L portion is large and sometimes the orientation of gear doesn't allow for it easily. Plugging into a mic on a boom pole or inside a zeppelin is another good use.

I don't think the weight is significant. You could argue by filling with epoxy the weight reduction is minimal. Mostly you're just losing the plastic section.

I tried the link, but get only the text, no pictures... 

Vin, I tried using this editor to post the photos for you and it's just way too difficult to post the pictures in an order that makes sense. If you PM me your email address I'm happy to send you a DropBox link to the files so you can view them. Sorry it's not working for you on my site. 

Definitly some food for thought here. 

I am sure there is a way to put in a proper strain relief without filling the connector up with epoxy.  Taking the epoxy route pretty much gunks up your xlr, making it a permanant fix. 

Kudos to all for taking the venture, I have much to think about and design.  Will let you all know what I get when it makes it way through "the skunk works" here! ;D

Keep doin ya thang! :ph34r:

• 2 years later...