XLR connectors - low profile female

snd.waves

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if K-Tek or Loon sells their right-angle low profile connectors on their own. Several people here, including me, have made their own by cutting up a standard XLR connector. I will do a search (ha ha) here for the pics I know have been put up on this site of the various DIY connectors people have done.

search (ha ha)

LOL!

Either I'm an idiot or the SEARCH function is just a totally useless piece of crap... probably both are true. I did multiple searches with varying filters and sorts for "XLR" and found NOTHING! This is BS. I'm going to figure out why search is so bad. In the meantime, I have found that if you do a Google search with JWSOUNDGROUP and anything else added to it, Google knows where to find these things.

Easily accomplished in the ones I did. Two ways: one is the use of epoxy --- locks everything in place, provides strain relief (but means you have to pretty much chuck the whole thing at some point in the future). Two, use a small nylon cable tie at the base of the cable as it has just passed through the hole I drilled.

• 10 months later...

The DPA connector looks great! I would hate to see the cost (based on what other DPA accessories cost). Also, as per the discription, it is intended for fixed installations --- hardly the same our usage, connecting, disconnecting, etc. I would worry about the ruggedness of the connector housing (what little there is of it).

- from DPA:

"This brilliant installation solution uses Mogami cable and an ultra slim XLR housing, adding only a few millimeters extra length to the microphone. Most of the connector will be locked and hidden in the microphone itself. For installations like concert halls, conference rooms, TV Broadcast or live sound reinforcement these cables will give the highest visual elegance.

post-1-0-67213600-1344285990.jpg

About the DPA: Yeah, The dealer here made me a special cable for a production I needed as less as weight possible on a camera. XLR/mini jack into mini jack. The connector is really light weight. I mean, really. It's plastic, all the way, I do think it's not as endurable as the one we know from neutrik, but useful for some purposes, like in a bag, on the output side. I believe there is no male version of it. post-1632-134429607138.jpg

K-Tek does sell the right angle connector that we use on the top of our Klassic poles. The list price is $25 for the connector. As someone mentioned, it is a little bit of work to solder one of these. Most low profile right angle connectors have heatshrink involved, and we have a special plastic strain relief in there to. If you haven't done one, and you look at the parts, it can be a little confusing. However, if you want us to put the connector on your pole, just send it in and we can do it. We don't charge for labor on any of our service, so you'd just pay for the connector. Some of our dealers are capable of putting on the connector as well.

One key to sawing a regular XLR in half: use a 3/4" plastic table leg from Lowe's hardware, and trim that to fit the XLR. This will provide a perfect cap for the connector. As the previous discussions warned, you have to fill the thing with epoxy to provide enough stability for the connector, plus strain relief for the wire itself.

If these are going in a bag, make sure you know exactly what side of the connector the wire needs to stick out from. Once you figure out that angle, you can make five or six in a row and come up with a fairly workable wiring scheme. It's not quite as spiffy as the Kortwich cables (shown here), but much more affordable...

SKOR0018.jpg