Zaxnet setup - Billy?

Matthias Richter

had a very quiet scene today and was listening to a new noise in my setup. It´s been the ifb100 that introduces a "fieping" noise through the powering network. I have moved it around and away - no change. I then have powered it of a NP1 and it was clean again.

How can I use the ifb100 just like all the other pieces? Any filtering ideas? Have you experienced something similar?

Matthias

i have had that problem best to power IFB100 off separate source like an Np then its completely clean

tony

I have the high-pitched whine problem, too. I can get rid of it by using an independent power supply, but now I realized that the QRX100 with the IFB option is causing it, too. Even though I am not using the IFB option and the antenna is not connected. So now I have two devices which need a separate supply from the rest of the cart. This is getting increaaingly in-elegant. It totally negates the benefits of my Meon. Does anyone know of a more elegant solution to get rid of this whine?

i have tried all sorts of things. do you have both an IFB100 and a QRX100 with ifb? can you switch IFB off in QRX?

Separate power supply to IFB 100 is the most elegant solution. i too have a meon and found i could not power the 2.4GHZ RF amp off the meon so we ran power from RF amp which is on my antennae tree down to the sound cart and plug it into a 12v wall wort and into mains, maybe i can take a photo and show, this after months of tracing these issues and finding solutions. it works like a charm now.

tony

I tried every different configuration I could think of to get rid of the whine from the IFB-100 I use. The only solution I found (which has been working perfectly for the last several years) is to power the IFB-100 and the L-Com amp I have from a separate power supply. I built a smaller capacity AC/DC power supply (similar to the main cart power supply) which powers just the 2.4 ghz stuff.

i have tried all sorts of things. do you have both an IFB100 and a QRX100 with ifb? can you switch IFB off in QRX?

Yes, I have the IFB100 and the QRX100 with IFB option, but I don't actually use it on the QRX. I don't know of a way to disable it, but maybe that could be a solution.

BTW I have read in other threads about people using the Meon for most of their gear and a Hot Box connected to a separate outlet on the Meon. All the 2.4gHz stuff is connected to the Hot Box, whine free. I tried it, but for me that didn't help

I would be surprised that the Hot Box brought into the connection would solve the problem, but evidently it does (for some). It is the odd nature of these sorts of induced noises that makes it somewhat difficult to decipher. On the last job I discovered a noise on my no. 2 boom (duplex cable) and the same noise was present even when connecting a hard-wired plant mic on single cable. Troubleshooting, I discovered that the cable bringing DC power to the DC injector for the L-Com 2.4ghz amp had moved on my cart and was crossing closer to the patch panel connection for the no. 2 input. Merely putting that cable back in its proper place cleared up the problem.

Using an original PSC powerstar as the main power distro for a similar set up, I was unable to resolve the amplified zax signal buzzing all the other devices on my cart even when using a second power distro as the front end to just the 2.4ghz amplifier. I tried Glenn's advice with the car DC buzz reducers, the hotbox, juice box, anything other than a meon itself in place of the powerstar.

As I said I could not get rid of the 2.4ghz amp noise when powered off DC so a wall wort into the AC on my cart cured that and the IFB100 powered by a V Lock so now I am whine free apart from the fact that lunch is late so there is a faint whine there.

Tony

Even when using two different Dc supplies? Using a wall wart totally goes against my intent of being mobile and defeats the purpose of my expensive Meon...

Even when using two different Dc supplies? Using a wall wart totally goes against my intent of being mobile and defeats the purpose of my expensive Meon...

I am not sure as Jeff has found a separate DC supply works for him. I just know for me that the AC power solved it. I hear you re Meon and being mobile I too have a Meon and wanted to be free of AC power but I think a small price to pay for having the most intelligent and technologically advanced Production Sound kit available. Even on the small productions these days, with everything being HD I am never on a set without AC power.

Tony

The separate supply that I built to power the IFB-100 and L-Com antenna/amp is a battery (DC) supply --- no need for AC. I did incorporate a regulated DC power supply (AC) that floats across the battery when AC is present --- this is the same concept I use in the full size cart power supply. So, the separate supply is just a drastically scaled down (smaller battery, smaller regulated power supply) from the main cart power. Still very lightweight (using Lithium Iron Phosphate battery) and fits easily low down on the cart. I will add that I built this supply originally to solve a similar whine problem I was having with a Lectrosonics IFB transmitter (I think maybe it was called the T-1?) that I could not solve except by using a separate supply. At that time I was using a much heavier sealed lead acid battery (replaced at a later date with the LiFEPo battery).

• 2 years later...

Antoine Malnati of Audioroot built me a filter in a small box with a switch so I can now power my IFB 100 and the L-Com amp from my PSC PowerStar distro. Before I had to use a separate NP1 battery. 

On our second cart we use the Audioroot K-Art distro and it has this DC/DC filter already built in. Therefore the whine on this cart has never been a problem. 

This is very good news. I have always had to provide separate power supply for IFB 100/200 and L-Com amp --- seemed to be the only way to avoid the whine. Had a similar problem with the Lectrosonics IFB transmitter I used for a brief time, could never solve the noise problems with that except by using separate power. There must be some kind of exotic ground loop or something that I just couldn't beat. Never tried any special kind of filtering --- good to know that this is possible and solves the problems.

• 1 year later...

Is it possible to output recorded Timecode through zaxnet out of a trx 942 to a qrx 235? In other words: i like to playback audio recorded on the trx942 , send the audio to the qrx, but with the Timecode of the recording, so, not the tc generator. It’s an easy way of copying audio to the main recorder with the correct tc!
Thanks, Sander

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk