two new Fostex recorders

soundtrane

4 inputs and only 2 record tracks? would it have been that big of a deal to make it a 4 track recorder? I mean, there isn't a 4 track recorder out there right now with 4 actual mic inputs, and if the 204 would have 4 record tracks, they'd have a real winner on their hands.

Dave, I think the Fostex 204 is just a cheaper version of the 604. They're only providing 2 tracks, basically as a solid-state replacement for a PD-4 DAT machine. If you need more tracks than the 204 can provide, then you'd get the PD606, with is 6+2 tracks.

The rumor is that the PD606 will be under $6K, which (if true) will be a heckuva deal.

--Marc W.

• 2 weeks later...

And just to update my note: I spoke to the Fostex rep at NAB this afternoon, as I dashed through the show on Thursday (the only day I could get off this week), and learned that the PD-606 will be "around $8500" and the PD-204 will be "around $3500."

I personally think these prices are a little high, but still much cheaper than the PD-6's original list price.

Availability on the new Fostex machines is supposedly going to be September/October. The machines on display were just mock-ups, not working models, and I suspect a lot of features could be added or changed between now and October.

--Marc W.