SD 788 whishlist

VM

Hi,

Here a few points i'd like to see on my SD 788.

• possibility to enable MS monitoring in users grid monitoring (so i can monitor MS plus radio mic or a second boom)
  • possibility to record MS signals and send stereo (M+S/M-S) to camera via outputs
  • choose to link gain only or fader only or both
  • adjust one chanel level when linking
  • CL wifi control on android app

What else do you think we could add ?

Vincent

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less power consummation. LESS HEAT!!! Less $$$$.

I just need a new sound devices product.

Hi,

Here a few points i'd like to see on my SD 788.

• possibility to enable MS monitoring in users grid monitoring (so i can monitor MS plus radio mic or a second boom)
  • possibility to record MS signals and send stereo (M+S/M-S) to camera via outputs
  • choose to link gain only or fader only or both
  • adjust one chanel level when linking
  • CL wifi control on android app

What else do you think we could add ?

Vincent

I'd like to the the SD 818 - 16 ISO track recorder + 2 Mix tracks

It would have 4 Mic Pre Inputs + 12 Line level inputs in breakout cable with options for 4/8/12 cable size. To keep clutter down if you are in the bag.

Optional input modules

1. Lightpipe x2 = Two ADAT lightpipe inputs/outputs to send and receive lightpipe to say a Yamaha 01 mixer

2. 16 channel aes-ebu I/O

Liv'n the dream...

I might be in the minority for this but I'd like to see them move time code in and out over to BNC and if they need the space to move the word clock sync to a break out cable, which I personally never use.

Lemos- not many laying around on set

BNC- everywhere you look.

The lemo 5 pin has been a standard for production sound TC since the Nagra IV-STC and the Aaton Origin C. Many more devices use it than just SD stuff. I use the WC all the time, and want it to stay on a BNC, which is also a standard.

phil p

The lemo 5 pin has been a standard for production sound TC since the Nagra IV-STC and the Aaton Origin C. Many more devices use it than just SD stuff. I use the WC all the time, and want it to stay on a BNC, which is also a standard.

phil p

Sure I get what you're saying but in my own opinion I don't think lemo should be around just for the sole reason it was

"standard" on a reel to reel.

BNC is obviously also a pretty mainstream standard of current times, whether its jamming to camera, jamming to most

time code generators (denecke sb-3's etc), and so on. Plus they are easier to fix, cost less, etc.

Once again I said I might be in the minority but this is "my" wish.

Sure I get what you're saying but in my own opinion I don't think lemo should be around just for the sole reason it was

"standard" on a reel to reel.

BNC is obviously also a pretty mainstream standard of current times, whether its jamming to camera, jamming to most

time code generators (denecke sb-3's etc), and so on. Plus they are easier to fix, cost less, etc.

Once again I said I might be in the minority but this is "my" wish.

The 5 pin Lemo is not a standard because it was on a reel- to-reel. It was on the Nagra because it was an agreed upon standard. It is also used by Ambient, Denecke, Sound Devices, RED, Arri, and other makers of professional gear, partly because the connector is rugged and allows balanced TC i/o in a very small footprint. 2 BNCs for this would take up much more space. I personally think Lemos are a pain to deal with (esp to fix in the field), but it you're going to have to have 5 pin lemo adapters around for a long while due to their use on cameras and Ambient gear.

phil p

ok, TC I/O aside, I would like to see:

Monitor/Aux In (for camera returns)

Better meter options (specify the scale, etc)

Heat and Power consumption of course

Other than that, my main issues come from the available bags out there to use... I have a Petrol 602 and I have my CL-8 on the bottom on the 788T, not the top. In this configuration I have a hard time getting to the various I/Os of the 788T via the side holes. But I do have good access to underneath the CL-8 where I store my NP1...

Also, one of the reasons Lemo connector is still around is it provides both IN and OUT on one connector. If the desire is to replace the existing Lemo with a BNC connector, wouldn't we have to have 2 BNC connectors?

World clock currently is on 2 BNC's.

I was simply stating for my OWN needs, I wouldn't mind seeing that space be used for time code and WC being moved to a break out

cable or ?

I'm not denying lemo is an important standard.

I do think it's silly to say BNC isn't a standard when it comes to time code as well though.

I also understand that music recording, which I believe Phil does a lot of, uses WC a lot more.

Typical sync sound to picture though isn't going to touch it nearly as much.

Plugging a simple bnc cable into the side of a camera and the other side of that cable directly into the 788T

works better for ME, than using an expensive/not as available lemo cable which I need to switch over to bnc or 1/4 anyway.

I've been pretty happy with the 788T as is.

But if I were to have one addition, it would be to have access all 8 analogue inputs plus 2 tracks extra on the digi ins simultaneously. 8 iso's plus a 2 track mix seems to be standard now, and I would love to be able to feed that to my 788T using an external mixer.

World clock currently is on 2 BNC's.

I was simply stating for my OWN needs, I wouldn't mind seeing that space be used for time code and WC being moved to a break out

cable or ?

I'm not denying lemo is an important standard.

I do think it's silly to say BNC isn't a standard when it comes to time code as well though.

I also understand that music recording, which I believe Phil does a lot of, uses WC a lot more.

Typical sync sound to picture though isn't going to touch it nearly as much.

Plugging a simple bnc cable into the side of a camera and the other side of that cable directly into the 788T

works better for ME, than using an expensive/not as available lemo cable which I need to switch over to bnc or 1/4 anyway.

That's "Word Clock". I like the idea of a "World Clock" too though--maybe via a GPS upgrade!

phil p

I would like to be able to edit track name info from the prefade toggle. A shortcut to the note field would be cool too.

Im not crazy about the wifi iPhone/pad app as I want less RF hanging around rather than more. Real happy with my mini keyboard for track naming and notes.

Let's stick with the Lemo for tc. As said previously it is a standard and is more reliable (with thin cable anyway) than bnc plugs.

I've been using my 788 everyday since I bought it 11 months ago. It's proven to be 100% solid and haven't looked at my old 4 input mixer since that day. Even my 3 channel light weight kit sits on the shelf. I love the convenience of having everything there ready for those "if I need it" situations.

At one time I was shooting a documentary using a boom and 5 lavs. The scene we were shooting had 4 of our "characters" standing in a room talking, one was gone so I had turned that channel off. After some time that guy comes in and starts talking and while rolling I couldn't just turn his channel up and route it to a track... Very annoying. But I don't know what's more annoying, that I turned the track off or that I couldn't get it routed... Hadn't learned muting by that time.

Anyway, that's a feature I'd love to see. Haven't used it in a while though so maybe that's fixed?

Also it would be great if there was another way of turning tracks of. Right now it's just turning the knob all the way down, right? And if you want to turn it back up you need to remember where your gain was... Why can't the 788 remember that for you?

10 tracks for sure. I really like my 744, but I'm waiting for Sound Devices to put out a 10 track machine with a good touch screen before I move away from Boomrecorder which has been fabulous. I really like the features of the Nomad, but I'm a big fan of Sound Devices quality and support.

10 tracks Please!!! and soon.

"10 tracks for sure. I really like my 744, but I'm waiting for Sound Devices to put out a 10 track machine with a good touch screen"

Sounds like a Deva 5.8 but obviously from Zaxcom, not Sound Devices. I really like BOTH companies and have never had any quality or support issues with either --- why wait for Sound Devices to build a Deva? I agree with what others have said here regarding what products Sound Devices may or may not have in the works: I think it is pretty clear that a forward looking company like Sound Devices is not going to just build a Sound Devices version of some other company's recorder.

I have a 744 and I recently went to hire a 788 for a job, so to qualify my position I don't have a lot of experience with the 788, but my initial impression was,

The metering,

Way too small. The 744 metering is what I like, big, bright and I like the colours as well, green, yellow and then red. I was also put off by the fact that there were only 6 meters available for tracks 1 - 6 then there were two Aux or Mix tracks. I want to see meters for tracks 1 - 8. Surely as long as tracks 1 - 8 were metering OK, anything you assign to the Aux or Mix tracks would be the same.

Gain control,

I just wanted to lock everything on sensitvity settings like you do on the 744 and not use the gain control knobs.

AES3 input

The XL-88 input cable in my opinion is no good. It is huge and cumbersome and in the way and it has already failed for me.

After my one day experience with the 788, I am not so sure about automatically moving to it after the 744. I almost just want to keep using my 744 and hire in another when I need the extra tracks. Don't get me wrong, my points are minor, but it was a bit of a wake up call for me.