Pointing the bag at yourself... recording your own music

Sam Mallery

I ended up getting booked to play a solo acoustic at Pete's Candy Store for a show tomorrow, and with only two days to promote the show I decided to make a little video to show to friends who hadn't heard me play yet.

I've used my bag gear to record musicians on set before, but this was the first time I had used it to record my own stuff... but that's mostly because I just went through a long phase where I wasn't strumming as much as normal.

Here's a link to what I came up with:

http://vimeo.com/29131590

The dynamic range gets choked a little toward the end of the song, and in hindsight I probably should have toned down the reverb a bit, but considering that I did the entire thing myself in one evening I'm satisfied. The 900mb file sure sounded better than the 90mb file!

Gear used:

Audio post: Ableton Live 8 & Vintage Warmer2

Vocal mic: Audix OM2

Mic on the guitar: Audix CX212

Preamps: Sound Devices 302

Recorder: Edirol R09HR, 24bit 48kHz WAV

Camera: GH2vk (using cbrandin's 66M settings, 24p)

Lens: Canon FD 50mm 1.4 SSC

Video post: Final Cut Pro 7.0.3

Any tips for better results are appreciated!

Switch to HTML5 player

Yeah, reverb always sounds fine while your applying it, but listen to it later, and it can seem too much - happens to me all the time. The vocals pop the mic a couple of times and probably could high pass it a bit more to help clean up the mud a bit. Same with guitar, also could use some high pass or low shelf cut, just to tone it down a bit and clean up the sound.

Cool song!

Thanks Tom & Crew!

Man, I listened to the song on the embedded player in this thread through the speaker in my MacBook Pro right after I posted this, and it's just plain terrible sounding. This mix has major phase issues. As the song plays, if you open your computer's System Preferences and move the pan away from center, it will start to sound a lot better.

Nasty. Anyhow, I'm pulling this off of the web after the show. It was only meant to be a promo. There are lots of mistakes in this take, I just needed something to show people.

I really appreciate your feedback. I love playing!