Sound devices new recorder?

dominiquegreffard

Hello soundies.

Just sold my 744t. Now i find myself recorderless. Before i jump on the nomad bandwagon i m curious to see if sd got a new mixer in plans and when could i expect a release? I know it s probably pretty far but it s too much of an important buy to not consider. I d rather stick with sd if they could release something 6 trackish with only flash memory. (basically a sd nomad...). I just like how solid and trusty my sd experience has been so far. Any input is appreciated thx.

Dominique

I would like to see a more ENG friendly SD recorder as well. Something with a color screen similar to their Pix recorders. Maybe an 8 track recorder, with 6 inputs, a form factor and input/output options similar to the 552 but with 6 faders. Power consumption would be a big one too.

I would like to see a more ENG friendly SD recorder as well. Something with a color screen similar to their Pix recorders. Maybe an 8 track recorder, with 6 inputs, a form factor and input/output options similar to the 552 but with 6 faders. Power consumption would be a big one too.

So essentially a Nomad 8

Heat, power consuption and small metering. The rest seems great

Any thoughts on using their 788T SSD version which uses the SSD drive? Any reduction on heat for that compared to the standard 788T?

Power consumption would be pretty much the same as mentioned on their website though. (http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/recorders/ssd-current-draw/)

Whoa--"Senator Junior"!

I think the point of this thread was wanting to see what SD could come up with in this line, and what suggestions for that machine might be. There's been lots of Nomad talk elsewhere.

phil p

Phil

Didn't mean to rustle any feathers with my post - it's just that for a manufacturer to come out with a new product they need to offer something new and unique to make it worth the R & D time and cost involved. So I would think that for SD to compete with Zaxcom they would have to at least match the current features available and up the ante to some extent. Therefore one would think that for SD to put the effort into putting a new machine out there it would have to be at least a 6 input 8 channel ENG friendly recorder with a color screen.

So I was just commenting that those particular features already exist in a machine. So when you dream - dream big.

Jack

Does the heat in a SD recorder come from the drive? I thought it came from the electronics. I haven't noticed 744Ts running hotter than 702s when the former was recording only 2 tracks (anyhow).

phil p

Heat coming from the electronics is very possible, (such like amps). But I was thinking whether could the major heat could be coming from the HDD, just using the computer as an reference, the HDD is hot as well, but then again so are some other parts (like the CPU)..

There doesn't seem to be a "heat comparison" mentioned between the SSD and non SSD version. However, in the 788T manual there is a section which says the benefits of using CF would be the heat reduction. But a little strange coz, wouldn't the SSD be similar like the CF since it's without the spining drive, but why doesn't it run cooler than the non SSD version?

Any thoughts on it?

Best Regards,

Lawrence

Phil

Didn't mean to rustle any feathers with my post - it's just that for a manufacturer to come out with a new product they need to offer something new and unique to make it worth the R & D time and cost involved. So I would think that for SD to compete with Zaxcom they would have to at least match the current features available and up the ante to some extent. Therefore one would think that for SD to put the effort into putting a new machine out there it would have to be at least a 6 input 8 channel ENG friendly recorder with a color screen.

So I was just commenting that those particular features already exist in a machine. So when you dream - dream big.

Jack

I have no doubt that SD will do this with their customary flair and aplomb. I think dreaming big might mean leapfrogging rather than imitating an existing machine, so stay tuned! Who thinks the Nomad will be the end of the evolution of field recorders?

phil p

I have no doubt that SD will do this with their customary flair and aplomb. I think dreaming big might mean leapfrogging rather than imitating an existing machine, so stay tuned! Who thinks the Nomad will be the end of the evolution of field recorders?

phil p

No doubt SD will take it up a notch - but then Zaxcom will do the same - then SD - then Zaxcom and so on and so on and so on

Got to say that there are a few people "worried" about SD recorders running hot, esp the 788t.

My 4 track ran way hotter than my solid state 788. Almost hot enough to fry an egg; on summer day exterior shoots when the temp was more than 40 deg C.

Luckily I never had a problem with it that I could not attribute to user error.

The 788/CL8 combo runs warm. But then it's a lot of electronics using only passive cooling stuffed into a bag together with other electronics that are generating heat. It runs warm, but any warmer than a laptop?

Record errors are usually caused by faulty media.

How many times can you write/read to flash memory? What's the cycle life?

So essentially a Nomad 8

Yes, and that was already stated in the original post. But I agree with Phill, and was commenting on this Sound Devices thread. I thought the point of the thread was basically that if SD came out with it's version of the Nomad, people would buy it since many mixers already use and love SD products. SD has great recorders with the 788 but I still feel that the CL8 was more of an add on that a true mixer/recorder. I'm curious to see what they will come up with and it will most likely have something the Nomad doesn't.

I'm about to purchase my first 744T. I'm worried about the fading use of the firewire input on Macs lately. I was sorta hoping that SD would replace it with a port that's somewhat current with the later MacBook Air (Micro Mini Port? Thunderbolt?). Is that going to be a problem if I do this? I still have my MacBook Pro (V.1) and it works fine, but...

I was also interested to learn about the heat factor on the 744T, since I'll have mine in a bag with a mixer, receivers and other heat generating gear, that's right, in Florida heat 75% of the time. I guess I should bring some eggs.

If SD offers a reasonably priced upgrade of their 552 to 5 isos and a mono mix, I think they'd secure a nice chunk of the market. Add a TC generator and a computer interface for routing, offloading media and setting TC and they'd clean up.

And I'm very interested in any SD mixer with 4 discreet outputs or the equivalent (perhaps another thread?) to go with the 744t. Does SD make anything like this already..(or anyone)?

I'm about to purchase my first 744T. I'm worried about the fading use of the firewire input on Macs lately. I was sorta hoping that SD would replace it with a port that's somewhat current with the later MacBook Air (Micro Mini Port? Thunderbolt?). Is that going to be a problem if I do this? I still have my MacBook Pro (V.1) and it works fine, but...

Fading use of firewire = dealbreaker, BUT 744T also records on CF cards which seems to be still in the game. :)

I am currently using a 788 with the CL-8 as well as a 744. I can say without a doubt, the 744 runs way hotter. They are both recording to HD and CF (5 trks and 2 trks, respectively) they are both in bags, packed in with RF receivers, sync boxes, Zaxcom hops, etc.

I believe the SD design theory is the aluminum case gets hot to keep the electronics cool!

My 744T runs hotter than most bits of kit I've used, but it's never, ever failed, despite being at times too hot to touch.

As for the Firewire issue, I thought it might be an issue for me when I couldn't find a laptop I wanted with firewire, but I just use CF as the deliverables, backing up the internal drive on a machine at home whenever I need to.

I was also interested to learn about the heat factor on the 744T, since I'll have mine in a bag with a mixer, receivers and other heat generating gear, that's right, in Florida heat 75% of the time. I guess I should bring some eggs.

And I'm very interested in any SD mixer with 4 discreet outputs or the equivalent (perhaps another thread?) to go with the 744t. Does SD make anything like this already..(or anyone)?

Firewire won't disappear right away but then again I don't think most of us have used it for data transfer off the 744 in a long time--it's just so much easier to pull the CF card and transfer on a computer. We also used the FW port for the XLDVDRAM drive, but it looks like DVDRAM is fading away too, so maybe the port will be redundant. USB would be important to have in a new machine, prob more important than Tbolt, since I don't see us changing away from pulling the CF cards and transferring off those anytime soon--it's how cameras work now so it is very familiar to everyone on a production.

744s are very proven technology anymore and by now have probably been used successfully in every possible recording situation.

phil p