Remote Audio BDSv4u

Devendra Cleary

Awesome product and I am totally satisfies with mine but...

Users please be carful when plugging USB cables/ devices into the unit. While in the darkness I reached for my Middle Atlantic USB light so I could plug it into the BDSv4u, and then no longer be in the darkness. Well as Murphy's law likes to always have it's effect on me, I bent one if the pins inside the USB port. The light wouldn't go in all the way. I then had to roll and think about it later.

Well, suddenly my NP batteries were dying after less than an hour of use. (previous to the bending of the USB pins I was getting almost 3 hrs of use with a Deva V, 4 Lectrosonics 411As, and a Lectrosonics IFB T4).

I pushed the amp draw switch on my RM and it said "3.96 amps" !!!! I had readings more in the neighborhood of 1.39 amps for the above mentioned gear, and maybe 1.89 amps with the Middle Atlantic light.

I noticed on the BDSv4u under the USB port that it said it could provide 5v, 2 amps. AhhChaaa!

I obviously caused some kind of a short. The BDS got pretty hot after that.

I'm lucky the short didn't blow anything up! It powered my equipment the rest of the day with no problem other than the extra heat and amp draw.

I fixed it today (bent the pin back).

I just wanted to sing praise for a fantastic product that worked in spite of operator error, but offer my experience of yesterday so that other users can avoid this.

Cheers JWSOUNDGROUP.

-Devendra Cleary, CAS

• 5 months later...

I use mine in a pinch to top off my smartphone. It really saves the day. I'm planning on getting the BDS cable to USB end for jobs using supplied kits. Nothing worse than finishing a long day out of town and barely being able to use your phone to look for something interesting to do/eat.

Ive had mine for several months now and I completely agree. I almost dont remember what life was like before being able to power my phone or other USB devices in my bag! And since I, like many others, use my phone for so many work related tasks (CL-Wifi, Lectro RM, etc), I need it to be charged throughout the day. I also really like the remote with the readout on it. I no longer have to reach into the bowels of my bag to find the on/off switch, and I get a readout on the voltage of my NP1 so I dont have to guess when its about to die. Very handy!

On a side note, to get even more power out of my iphone, I got a Mophie case which has an additional battery in it, so when my phone runs low I just flip the switch on the case and it begins to charge my phone. It holds a full charge, and has a USB port on it to charge from, so you dont need a special iphone cable everywhere you go.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a phone app that tells you the voltage of your battery based on the what kind of juice its getting through the USB port? (I know, another thing to rely on a "consumer" product for, but it might be cool if it worked)

Ive had mine for several months now and I completely agree. I almost dont remember what life was like before being able to power my phone or other USB devices in my bag! And since I, like many others, use my phone for so many work related tasks (CL-Wifi, Lectro RM, etc), I need it to be charged throughout the day. I also really like the remote with the readout on it. I no longer have to reach into the bowels of my bag to find the on/off switch, and I get a readout on the voltage of my NP1 so I dont have to guess when its about to die. Very handy!

Out of curiosity how big is that thing I have seen pictures of it which made me not want it because from what I could tell it was the same size as the distro box itself that said I am not entirely happy with how I have that mounted in the front pocket of my bag right now and am looking at all options.

I have an associate who purchased a few of these from the same vendor. After his failed, he contacted the company and they asked him to send it to them for inspection. They determined that it was a knock-off!

Maybe yours too?

Careful with the Mophie Micro-USB jacks. They seem poorly attached to the board -- I've gone through three of them so far. Anyone know of an alternate battery case for the iphone? Sorry for the thread hijack.