Noisy splits

Guest Mick

4. 4/5. 07

So we go out to the western town on the backlot at Universal. I'm stoked because I've never actually shot on such a renowned lot where some of my favorite movie icons have worked. With a happy heart and a child-like enthusiasm I listen to rehearsal.

"...and action!"

" Hold on, I thought we were rehearsing."

" No that's Eddie Murphy's new movie on the next lot."

" OK"

"...and to our left you'll see the crew of "CSI" shooting an episode of..."

A tram crammed to capacity with spring breakers and tourists goes noisily by in the background.

"Are we going to have to deal with this all day and night?"

"No, just until..."

A loud hydraulic hiss drowns out the reply as the mechanical shark located just sixty feet from our set explodes from the lake in a simulated "Jaws" attack. Screams from the crammed tram.

"We haven't even started shooting yet and...hold on 'til this helicopter passes"

We were in splits (1 pm call time) and I kid you not, even at 11 o'clock the noise was pervasive enough to require long unscripted pauses in the dialogue and quite a few re-takes for sound. I never knew this but the mechanical shark does its thing long after the audience has left and well into the night. It's no wonder that it's rumored that all the old westerns shot here were looped. I still had fun though. It's a three day weekend, Happy Easter all.

Regards

Mick