Best short hypercardioid mic

Diego Sanchez

The CS-3e is my go-to mic. It's one of the most directional mics I've used, and unlike most shotguns on the market it sounds good indoors.

Not to nit-pick, but two of the mics you've listed (mkh8060 and CS-3e) are shotguns, not hypercardiods. The functional difference is a shotgun is also sensitive at the rear, and tends to pick up reflections when used in doors.

Just my two cents.

David L

...The CS-3e is my go-to mic. It's one of the most directional mics I've used, and unlike most shotguns on the market it sounds good

Not to nit-pick, but two of the mics you've listed (mkh8060 and CS-3e) are shotguns, not hypercardiods. The functional difference is a shotgun is also sensitive at the rear, and tends to pick up reflections when used in doors...

Since we're nitpicking a bit, a hypercardioid also typically has a rear lobe with its maximum rejection at about 120 degrees, rather than the 180 degrees of a cardioid. It's the smoother off-axis response (depending upon the mic, of course) that makes a cardioid or hyper-cardioid much better in reverberant spaces. Off-axis, most shotguns usually have much less linear low ends.

These are all excellent mic's, and there is no one of them that is best!

your choice will ultimately be subjective, and personal, so figure out a way to try them all before you buy one. If you have established a relationship and reputation with one of our "usual suspects", professional production sound dealers, (or other mixers who own these) you should be able to work something out.

The good news is that you have no incorrect choices, though it would be helpfil for you to read up on the differences (acoustic designs) of cardioid/hypercardioid/supercardioid mic's vs. interference tube (aka shotgun) type mic's.

Sen MKH 50,Neumann KM150, Schoeps MK41 are all good !

The shortest is the Neumann. The best .... it depends. ;-)

My best is the Schoeps but sometimes I miss the Neumann.

The shortest is probably really the Schoeps CCM41 at about 2.3" without the connector. Not necessarily a good choice for everybody but a great mic nonetheless.

The MKH 50, KM 150 and Schoeps amp of your choice with a Mk 41 capsule are all great choices.

Best regards,

Jim

+1 for MKH50. Superb mic.

Not for exteriors though...

I like it cus it looks good, it's small, it sounds amazing and it's steady as a rock. Never had any issues with it. Except of course when they fall to the ground...

I beg to differ about the MKH 50 for exteriors. I use a BBG & a Furry cover for mine and have no problems within the 50's working distance which I find to be a bit more than the Schoeps 641.

Eric

I beg to differ about the MKH 50 for exteriors. I use a BBG & a Furry cover for mine and have no problems within the 50's working distance which I find to be a bit more than the Schoeps 641.

Eric

Yeah it works alright I just think there are other mics that sound better on exterior work... But then again, it's a matter of taste and occasion. Mkh50 is a splendid mic for allround work.

Agreed, MKH50 has slightly more reach than the Schoeps MK41 and both can be used outdoors, nice if you have a quiet location and can get close enough!

I'm glad it is pointed out that the MKH50 (and thus, the MKH8050) has a tighter pattern than the Schoeps MK41 capsule. But this tighter pattern comes at the expense of a harsher corner between on-axis and off-axis, which is not what the Schoeps MK41 is known for. The MKH40 (and thus, the MKH8040) is nearly identical to the Schoeps MK41 pattern, which is why I prefer it for boom work over the MKH50. For the majority of interior boom work, I believe the Sennheiser MKH40 (and, thus, the MKH8040) is a better choice than the MKH50.

Glen Trew

+1 for MKH50. Superb mic.

Not for exteriors though...

I like it cus it looks good, it's small, it sounds amazing and it's steady as a rock. Never had any issues with it. Except of course when they fall to the ground...

I will also beg to differ about the 50 outside. We had over an 11 page exterior day yesterday, recorded exclusively with one or two 50s. It was beautiful, including a big wide master with 5' of headroom.

Granted, it was quiet with soft ground underfoot, and the mic was aimed perfectly by a skilled boom operator.

I use the 50 outside regularly.

I forgot to mention have to admit, my exterior experience with the 50 is limited to noisy environments and wide shots.

Anyway, this has led me to only use the CMIT 5U outside and therefore I have the sort of built in hesitation towards using the 50s outside, even on nice and quiet sets.

And I'm a Schoeps guy :)