Boom pole handling noise suggestions

Nikolozj

I found that the Schoeps LC60 inline HP filter works great for getting rid of any handling noise. Unfortunately I can't use it with my Zaxcom Tx that I use for a camerahop. The digital spray from the Tx gets into the electronics of the LC60 and makes a lot of noise. There are no noise problems when using a Lectro Tx for a camerahop. So I do have a Schoeps LC 60 for sale if anyone is interested.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

"The Ambient QX looks great but I need an internal coil cable and the way their version exits the end of the pole seems really awkward (XLR male just hangs out the end of the tube the same way a straight through cable would)... seems very odd."

Derek, I also didn't think that flow-through system would work for me. Thankfully Ambient has started to make a coiled cable kit where the male XLR is now screwed into the bottom of the pole very much like the K-tek ones. Sebastian Fell from Ambient was able to send me the new kit after emailing me photos of the prototype last month. Not sure if they're in full production yet.

Stephane

Derek, I also didn't think that flow-through system would work for me. Thankfully Ambient has started to make a coiled cable kit where the male XLR is now screwed into the bottom of the pole very much like the K-tek ones. Sebastian Fell from Ambient was able to send me the new kit after emailing me photos of the prototype last month. Not sure if they're in full production yet.

Stephane

Thanks for the info Stephanie! I will get in touch with them, glad they have started making this part. I also didn't like the idea of the flow though base extending the length of the pole.

Excessive boom handling noise arose unexpectedly recently. Upon inspection of both my colleagues' personal boom poles, it was discovered that the rubber washers between the mount and the pole were missing.

Check.

But now that I was particularly tuned in to the issue, and with relatively new use of CMIT's, heard more handling than I liked. Ordered Cinela mounts. Noise gone.

-- Jan

Panamic are my fav' I tried ambient and vdb and went straight back to Panamic, lighter and very nicely balanced . I even have some of their older mini aluminium poles which recently started getting used again attached to a mini carbon pole instead of a single maxi pole. I also use their shock mounts which I don't think are available anymore, the combination works very well. - I was taught to support the boom in the U between the thumb and fingers, with the fingers free to support the cable coming off of the boom.

Whether you use Lyres or not the MKH-50 is a notoriously noisy mic when handled, irrespective of the make of the pole its on.

Rycote have been trying to quieten mine for several months now on both Panamic and Ambient poles .

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

There seems to be a lot of discussion about mic and pole noise. I used the 50 as boom/utility and now as a mixer (and have recently been using CMIT), and I just don't have those problems. Sure there are some extreme conditions, but in general no problems. Not with the old PSC rubber-band mounts or with the Rycote mounts.

The only time I have had trouble was when I had some sort of low cut malfunction in the Lectro transmitter. And I set my low cuts pretty low, and by that I mean not very severe.

I have found, for me, that it doesn't matter what pole I use, handling noise is all in my technique, and to a lesser extent, the shockmount and microphone I'm using. When I would be booming for real (not for sound effects gathering, at which point I use the pole more as a monopod), I would use a pair of Setwear gloves, as I sweat like a beast (I've been known to ruin headphone pads back in my session drumming days). I used the kind without the fingertips. But even then, I bet other people will have their own preference about wearing gloves vs. not wearing gloves, and then which gloves to use.