$76 BILLION in cash. Still no dividend?

studiomprd

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like that question: "what is Apple going to do with $76 billion dollars?" --- anything they want to. I think part of the philosophy of sitting on that much cash goes way beyond just a buffer --- Apple wants the flexibility and power to do things on their own, not subject to many of normal outside forces that other businesses have to contend with. Apple will be able to act fast and efficiently in whatever arena they are in.

Right, buy FB and make it work only with a Mac. Should be good for business.

Eric

You're joking, right? That would be a Microsoft thing to do. Apple has always been more supportive of the other computers ... it is the Mac OS that can run the competition's OS (Windows), not the other way around.

That would be why flash won't run in my iPhone or apple tv2. Or why I can't plug a USB drive into my iPad. Or why my iPhone won't take a micro SD card, but my sons $80 android phone will.

Apple makes products that people desire. Great business model, seriously. Part of that business model is to lock out everybody else. I'm not saying MS are any better just that Apple likes things their way, full stop.

You're joking, right? That would be a Microsoft thing to do. Apple has always been more supportive of the other computers ... it is the Mac OS that can run the competition's OS (Windows), not the other way around.

Look, I know less than zilch about computers and don't care about MS-v-Mac one way or the other but you have to lighten up & buy a sense of humor and whimsey ::) . Maybe Mac has a program for that.

Eric

• 1 month later...

Update: Apple is now paying their top executives huge bonuses in stock in order to get them to stay long-term (like another 5 years), almost $500 million worth. So some of their $76 billion is being invested in keeping the status quo.

Apple's new CEO, Tim Cook, is also initiating a charitable fund that matches all employee donations, which is a step in the right direction. But really huge purchases, like buying a movie studio or a record label or a cellular telephone company... no news yet.

--Marc W.

the company's long-standing no-philanthropy

Not entirely fair. Apple did a lot to promote and support the (RED) charity to fight Aids. And like everything Apple does, after they partnered with RED every other company under the sun copied them, and RED was (and has remained) everywhere.

But yeah, there is much room for improvement in the philanthropy department. I'd rather see Apple move mountains that way than to make a behemoth purchase.

Charity equals tax breaks. what mountains?

Gap are involved with RED more then anybody.

That does not make the 10 years old kids that make their clothing feel any better.

Me and my wife donated a good sum to the RED CROSS for Haiti and got it all back from IRS.

Not entirely fair. Apple did a lot to promote and support the (RED) charity to fight Aids. And like everything Apple does, after they partnered with RED every other company under the sun copied them, and RED was (and has remained) everywhere.

But yeah, there is much room for improvement in the philanthropy department. I'd rather see Apple move mountains that way than to make a behemoth purchase.

extension of appletv will never succeed.

i bet on google and also microsoft in the media center product development.

microsoft have had a med7a center product for a long time.

Google purchased a company called SageTV that developed the best media center.

I have been using sagetv since 2002 and very happy.

I will most probably want an Apple television/media center but I almost can't bear the fact that there will be yet another device whose namer starts with "i" (iTV? Hopefully ITV in the UK will stop this before it happens.)

"i bet on google and also microsoft in the media center product development"

I will bet you are wrong. The number of failures that Apple has had once it has decided to enter a market can be counted on one hand. As well, the number of times that even seasoned analysts have predicted that Apple will fail is a very long list --- basically, every product or service Apple has produced, there have been pronouncements that Apple will fail. Most all of these predictions have been dead wrong.

I am only talking about the APPLE TV product line not the company as a whole.

"i bet on google and also microsoft in the media center product development"

I will bet you are wrong. The number of failures that Apple has had once it has decided to enter a market can be counted on one hand. As well, the number of times that even seasoned analysts have predicted that Apple will fail is a very long list --- basically, every product or service Apple has produced, there have been pronouncements that Apple will fail. Most all of these predictions have been dead wrong.