Alexa

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got a text from the editing room saying it's all in sync.

Everybody beat me to it. You only really know if it's in or out of sync when they pull the files into an edit timeline. Live on the monitor, the timecode will look X frames out of sync. I think they all do that, just due to processing delays. I've seen some cameras with "stuttering" timecode as well, but generally it's all fine. In the event of a real problem, you usually get an actual error message (bad code, code not matched to frame rate, bad reference, etc.).

You know, I'll admit that if the only issue they have with sync re my audio and all these new cameras is a simple TC offset (that does not drift), then I think my work is done. The combination of camera picture recording latency, monitor latency, weird frame rates (see Phantom Flex) plus all the usual issues w/ TC slates etc mean that the likelihood of things lining up exactly in sync via TC in post is kind of small. "No drift" is the new "in sync".

phil p

I've seen TC offsets for decades in dailies, going back to the late 1980s. As long as it doesn't drift or accumulate, it's OK. Constant TC offset can be compensated for, even automatically if the assistant editor knows how to do it.

What's a real bitch is when it gets off about frame or two every couple of hours, particularly with the slate. By the end of a 12-hour day, the numbers are about 10 frames out. I used to see this a lot with early-generation slates -- not with the TS-3 or TS-C.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, had a test shoot today and tried to send TC to the Alexa from a 788T via cable. It seemed like the Alexa wants to run the TC on its own instead of acting as a slave and reading my TC permanently (again, not jamming but permanent TC input). So when I plugged in the Alexa showed the same TC as my recorder, but it drifted notably within less than a minute it seemed.

AC wasn't sure either. Is there a hidden setting somewhere? All I found was the TC button settings.

Love the Alexa, it's a boom ops best friend. Really easy to use and jam. And there tend to be fewer lamps on set when shooting at 800 ASA. Win Win

Richard, do you really have to return the TC setting to INT after jamming it? I left it on EXT for 5 months and jammed without ever changing the menu's with no complaints. Is that specified in the manual?

I think you're right, Bud. Although I did no more than hand off slates (camera house provided 1/4"-Lemo sync cables), the assistants never changed any menu settings while jamming camera.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone used the DC output of the camera to power an RX? I usually put on something like a G2 for a scratch hop, but the job I just did wanted better audio on camera, so I was using my Zaxcom hop. I had to use batteries because didn't have the 2-pin DC plug the camera used. I think there is another DC out port, but one of them is intended to power a viewfinder or something? The Arri site just refers to it as 12v out.

I have seen that 2-pin DC connector, and I was sorely tempted to wire up an adapter to try it. I do have a Red One power cable, but every time I've tried it, the RX would not power up and I've had to resort to batteries. We have gotten it to work provided the camera used a standard Anton Bauer pack with a regular DC connector.

In fairness to Red, we were trying to access a 3rd party DC jack, and for all I know, it was wired wrong (or not even connected), or had low voltage. It was "labeled" 12VDC, but who knows? The operator did not know and had never used the jack (plus it was a rental). We went with a little rechargeable LiOn pack I have that's the same size as the SR, and those will generally run at least 10 hours without a problem.

In fairness to Red, we were trying to access a 3rd party DC jack, and for all I know, it was wired wrong (or not even connected), or had low voltage. It was "labeled" 12VDC, but who knows? The operator did not know and had never used the jack (plus it was a rental). We went with a little rechargeable LiOn pack I have that's the same size as the SR, and those will generally run at least 10 hours without a problem.

hi Marc

you got a link for this lion pack you mentioned ? was looking for a lighter solution for power the RX and qrx when using a small camera.

best

Cloud

you got a link for this lion pack you mentioned ? was looking for a lighter solution for power the RX and qrx when using a small camera.

Yes, I apologize to whoever here on the group initially recommended them, whose name I have forgotten. Here's a pic:

lion.jpg

It's just a brown brick with LiOn rechargeables permanently inside, plus a cheap wall-wart charger. The eBay link is here:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item257269621f

Most of the eBay dealers selling these are in China, so be prepared to wait a couple of weeks for delivery. I've been very surprised as to how reliable these are. I've powered both the D4 and the SRa receivers on them with good results. The only drawback is that they take forever to charge, like 8+ hours, but they will last a good solid 10 hours on set. Plus they only cost $28 each (with charger), are very lightweight, and are the perfect size to velcro onto the receiver. Much cheaper than any alternative I've found.

The only drawback is that they take forever to charge, like 8+ hours, but they will last a good solid 10 hours on set.

If it's at least eight hours, my guess is that the charger is charging the battery at 1A until it reaches the threshold voltage (in this case, 12.6V), then hold at that voltage until the current draw drops. So a 6800mAh battery would take about 8 hours that way.

With a bit more information inside the battery (temperature, mostly) you could probably find a 2A or 3A charger that would do the job much faster. But if you're wrong, you're likely to burn your house down, so you didn't hear the idea from me.

Was it out by a second? If that was the case, that's the lag in the display and the recorded TC is actually in sync.

Worked a shoot on a major drama series as a third, and when we re-jammed after lunch and the TC was off the camera crew said "it's cool, check with your mixer". Did so, and he confirmed that it displays about a second behind, but in the end all is well.

I like the Alexa too--straightforward to set up, sounds fine, TC holds very well. No genlock or ext sync, but it doesn't seem to need it.

Every RED job I'm on I wonder why they don't rent an Alexa instead.....

phil p

I ask the same thing, but the answer I usually get it is that the RED is owned and rented by the DP.