Zaxcom TRX900LT - Thoughts?

AudioChambers

IMHO switch or stay with all lectro. DO not mix zaxcom and lectrosonics in your bag.

If you decide to use both there is protocol to follow:filtered antenna and block separation.

In my limited zaxcom use I found that range is a lot less then smqv/411.

Zaxcom does not have servo input and some mics like DPA would not work. Only low DC DPA would work.

To be honest Zaxcom scans are not as informative as Lectrosonics

Now the good:

Zaxcom however can carry stereo signal on one frequency

ZAXNET IS AWESOME so if you are looking in to buying a Nomad it might be valuable to have Zaxcom wireless.

"Zaxcom does not have servo input and some mics like DPA would not work. Only low DC DPA would work.

To be honest Zaxcom scans are not as informative as Lectrosonics"

Most all lav mics work very well with Zaxcom transmitters these days. There is no penalty to the use of low voltage DPA lavs (except of course if you already own lots of NON-low voltage DPAs and want to use them with your Zaxcom transmitters).

Also, regarding the scan feature: I have watched many Lectro users examining all this information the scan screen is giving them, and while searching for spikes, valleys, clear signal areas, etc., I just push SCAN on the Zaxcom, it does a scan and presents a clear area and sets itself on this frequency. How "informative" does it have to be if it accomplishes the task? I have also been on many sets where ENG sound mixers have shown up, done all their scans (even in the same block I am using) and never found a clear space. I think the Zaxcoms can routinely find more clear areas of operation using this non-informative scan than the Lectros can find while giving me all this information.

I have used Zaxcom and Lectro in the same bag and never had an issue. That setup was two 411 receivers with MM transmitters, a Zaxcom 900S receiver in the bag with a 900LT transmitting to it, a QRX100Q receiving two 900LT transmitters. The Lectros were in block 19, the 900S in block 24, and the QRX in block 21. I also had a block 26 900AA stereo transmitter going to a 900S on the camera. All the wireless worked exactly as needed and expected. It was a reality shoot where we were moving around a lot and the talent all had their transmitters on their waist.

Will an SMQV at 250mw get better range than a 900LT at 50mw? Yeah, probably. However, the further away your SMQV gets from your bag or cart, the weaker the signal gets and your audio quality digress greatly.

I do feel the Zaxcom wireless sound noticeably better than the Lectros. I do think the Lectros still sound great and I'm always happy to use them, but I do think Zaxcom sound better.

I've been in situations where Lectros got better range than my Zaxcom and vice versa.

I absolutely love the bells and whistles offered by my Zaxcom system. Being able to record a timecode stamped WAV file directly on the transmitter is invaluable. Not to mention that with an IFB100 or the Nomad you can also remotely control gain, power consumption, and even change frequencies on your transmitters....all without having to dig it out of your talents' underwear!

Zaxcom has announced two newer versions of the 900LT. One has an output power up to 125mw and they also will have one with two AA batteries that I'm assuming will be a higher power transmitter.

Take in to consideration how you are using the wireless. Do you supplement your kit with additional wireless frequently? Do you rent out your kit to other mixers on a regular basis?

Lectros are more common but Zaxcom seems to be gaining ground quickly.

I'm a big fan of both manufacturers, I only own Lectro, and have a system that works pretty well, I hire in Zaxcom when I need extra units, or ZAXNET stuff, and it plays perfectly well with Lectro, as for Zax being less helpful, see reply number 3, we're very very lucky here to have both ZaxGlenn and LectroLarry on hand to help pretty much whenever we need it.

" wondered what everyone else thinks? "

are you serious?? or are you just trolling to start arguments??

These products are frequently and thoroughly discussed on these JWSOUND forums. If the search function is still not fully functional, try Google, as they crawl this site regularly. The manufacturers have lots of helpful information on their sites, including FAQ's.

Then if you have specific questions, you can pose them to the manufacturers,( both ZaxGlenn and LectroLarry answer their phones, and respond to direct emails), or in the case of comparative specifics, ask us here...but expect a lot of subjective stuff when you ask a group of professionals to compare popular quality products !

I can't say enough good things about my Zaxcom gear and the immediate support I've had.

The one major decision point between the systems "for me" was the backup recording right on the transmitter. I just don't worry as much about RF hits or talent wandering out of range behind walls as I have a "wired" recording I can access at a later point. Add in zaxnet capabilities and my inner geek was very happy.

I have 4 LT's in service since they first came out, and all have been rock solid through day to day use. My only real complaint is a 3 to 3.5 hour battery life on a 2700ah AA battery. Which is solved in the slightly larger 2xAA unit.

I've always used lectrosonics but am looking to make a move to Zaxcom after hearing some great things. Just wondered what everyone else thinks? Any experience with the company, heard they are not as helpful as lectrosonics.

I have found both companies to have excellent support. I've had email responses from Zaxcom on a Sunday morning in regards to an issue I posted on the Deva owner's list.

Right now I own a Zaxcom ENG hop that I occasionally use as an extra bodypack on my cart. I also use a Fusion, and love it. Most of my wireless is Lectrosonics (411, 401, Venue for RXs.. SMv, SMQV, MM400, LMa etc for TXs) and I could not be happier with them, or the support I have received. My Zaxcom is block 21, and plays fine with my block 25, 26 and 28 Lectros when sharing the same shark fin signal.

Sound quality... you should A/B them and see. I use my Zaxcom with a COS-11D when it's a bodypack mic system. Same mic I *usually* use on my Lectros. Zaxcom offers some great features (Zaxnet, internal recording etc). Lectro offers many models of TXs for different needs (the waterproof MM400 series for example!), and obviously there are a lot more of them out there. I don't think you can go wrong with either company. I feel like they are both way ahead of anyone else (for field production use), and the rivalry keeps them both innovating.

" wondered what everyone else thinks? "

are you serious?? or are you just trolling to start arguments??

These products are frequently and thoroughly discussed on these JWSOUND forums. If the search function is still not fully functional, try Google, as they crawl this site regularly. The manufacturers have lots of helpful information on their sites, including FAQ's.

Then if you have specific questions, you can pose them to the manufacturers,( both ZaxGlenn and LectroLarry answer their phones, and respond to direct emails), or in the case of comparative specifics, ask us here...but expect a lot of subjective stuff when you ask a group of professionals to compare popular quality products !

Nothing wrong with getting a fresh updated perspective on classic questions! A topic like this is such a huge decision for some of us that are going to be in the market for more gear... and with new products always coming out... why not talk about it some more;?!

I have both Lectro and Zax units and I actually get great/better range with my QRX than my 411's. Especially if you add in that the Zax audio quality doesn't degrade as the RF level gets low. That is a very big deal as the Lectro units tend to hiss, click, and pop some as the system fluctuates at low levels.

When is the LTA going to be available for purchase?

IMHO switch or stay with all lectro. DO not mix zaxcom and lectrosonics in your bag.

Nothing bad doing this, works just fine.

If you decide to use both there is protocol to follow:filtered antenna and block separation.

I've heard little to zero improvements in using the filter. I currently don't use one and having no issues with other Rx's in the bag. Also, I have Lectro blocks 22(SRa), 24(411), 26(411) Rx's with my Zax hop at block 25. I get some RF spill from the STA150 connection, but everything is still working great.

I have used Zaxcom and Lectro in the same bag and never had an issue. That setup was two 411 receivers with MM transmitters, a Zaxcom 900S receiver in the bag with a 900LT transmitting to it, a QRX100Q receiving two 900LT transmitters. The Lectros were in block 19, the 900S in block 24, and the QRX in block 21.

How was the range on the QRX in the bag in dual mode compared to your 411's?

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Glenn,

I have two TRX900LTS & two RX900 units purchased about six weeks ago from Zaxcom.

In the open, line-of-sight, on a clear frequency I am getting no more than 50 feet in range from the units before experiencing severe drop-outs. Is this the range limit of the Zaxcom units? As 50 feet is still well within visual lip-sync range of the ENG lens zoom range I was hoping for a little more range than this as you can well understand. Please advise.

I have tested at several locations in two states. I have experimented extensively with transmitter placement on the talent, I have removed the talent's cell phone, I have tested multiple mics of multiple makers. There is no transmitter (of an kind) in the sound bag, I hard-wire to the camera. None of my testing has managed to improve the range of the units.

Regards,

Ben Hooft

I have had similar problems with my units, except I was using a QRX. I was also having major over-heating issues and the units have gone back to Zaxcom for repair. When not on a body, I got 75-100m range. As soon as they were on a warm body, I got dropouts at as little as 4 feet. I'm sure Glenn will contact you and help you out. The units may need service, because plenty of people are using them without problems...however most are cart based.

I get pretty bad range with my QRX100/ TRX900LT's system as well . Dropouts in the 10ft range on a regular basis and a complete mess over 50ft away.

My units have have been back to the factory numerous times. The only "fix" that helped so far is getting the new RF board installed in the QRX and while that fix has helped in the quantity of hits I take, I still get hits as little as 10ft away a regular basis (just not as many).

Over the last number of months I've talked to quite a few people with the exact same issues and it's nice to know that I'm not alone in this. Because it's happening in so many units out there I no longer think there is something wrong with just my particular unit or two but

an issue that is in every system out there.

As mentioned above the cart based systems seem to be having better luck with stronger antenna's and the people using the QRX/LT's in single mode seem to be having better luck as well.

If anyone finally gets a working solution from zaxcom please post it.

I have had similar problems with my units, except I was using a QRX. I was also having major over-heating issues and the units have gone back to Zaxcom for repair. When not on a body, I got 75-100m range. As soon as they were on a warm body, I got dropouts at as little as 4 feet. I'm sure Glenn will contact you and help you out. The units may need service, because plenty of people are using them without problems...however most are cart based.

Justin, I can't tell from your post were you able to get the problem resolved or is it still ongoing?

A possible cause of the poor range some are experiencing. I was recently using my Zaxcom radios in bag mode and was also getting very poor range. My rig was a Deva, 2 ENG receivers and an IFB tansmitter. When I turned off my ifb transmitter suddenly my range returned to normal (150-200' in bag mode). The antenna on my ifb was broken, so it was spewing rf and desensitized my receivers. Other than that or other obvious causes (broken antennas, bad frequency choice, etc) it sounds like a hardware issue.

I was getting pretty bad range with my 2 QRXs and 3 LTs but they went back to the factory and were upgraded at both ends, with new RF boards in the QRXs and the LT's bumped up to LTH's. This has completely changed the game, and they're now performing really well. I can now get sometimes up to 80 meters, with LTH's on a body, and with a TRX900 in the bag transmitting as a hop. I was on a ship 30 miles offshore and even got about 150 meters! So this is quite usable, but nothing short of what should be expected of a system of this sophistication , and price tag. But I am now really confident that my system is as good as it can get,it suits my purpose and needs and that's a good feeling. One thing I have noticed though is that they ocassionally glitch (digital RF glitch, not audio connection), when the wearer runs or jumps, and RF is still strong - has anyone else noticed this?

" Is this the range limit of the Zaxcom units? "

OK, OK, I know, but gosh...I still don't get it...

why not call Zaxcom directly, first, to discuss this...??

(same would go for any manufacturer,with a concern that might well be a repair issue.

" it sounds like ... "

" has anyone else noticed this... "

" Sounds like they are.... "

" it's nice to know that I'm not alone in this... "

OK, there is some sympathy, some speculation, and of course others have some curiosity, but really, in the end, would you rather have a discussion group discuss this stuff, or have tech support resolve the issue..??

rant=off

sorry... :mellow: