Best wireless system for ENG bag...

AudioChambers

" Are you saying ... "

uh, oh!!! >:D

Just curious, that's all.. I could rephrase: Jeff, is there, in your opinion, no difference in sound quality between a Senn G2 EW100 and an Audio Ltd. 2040? Or are you referring to comparable ease of operation and similar functionality and features between the two systems?

Better now?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, that's all.. I could rephrase: Jeff, is there, in your opinion, no difference in sound quality between a Senn G2 EW100 and an Audio Ltd. 2040? Or are you referring to comparable ease of operation and similar functionality and features between the two systems?

Better now?

Absolutely only talking about feature set, simplicity and use. All of the Audio, Ltd. wireless have exceptionally good audio, to ear, the best there is for voice/dialog recording. If audio quality were the ONLY consideration, I would still be using Audio, Ltds.

Finally, I disagree with Jeff on something! I still have a couple of Audio Ltds in my (mostly) Zaxcom system, and cringe every time I hear the companding in the Audio Ltds (and I'm using their HX units with Schoeps heads). I greatly prefer the Zaxcom sound for its clarity, lack of artifacts and low inherent noise. As for the poster who felt the Zaxcoms were cumbersome and unreliable, I disagree there too (I'm sure you are all shocked to hear that). Of course they are more complex than most other radios because they are also time code receivers and generators, ifb units, spectrum analyzers, audio recorders and remote controlled playback units. Each feature has a menu and sub menus. It takes a little study to get to know all the features and use them quickly, but if you just want to use them as radio mics I'd say they are easier to use and more intuitive than most other frequency agile radios.

As for unreliable, I have 12 transmitters and they occasionally have to take a trip back to Zaxcom. Usually for physical damage (actresses dropping them down a toilet and such). Service is fast.

Best,

Billy Sarokin

Absolutely only talking about feature set, simplicity and use. All of the Audio, Ltd. wireless have exceptionally good audio, to ear, the best there is for voice/dialog recording. If audio quality were the ONLY consideration, I would still be using Audio, Ltds.

Finally, I disagree with Jeff on something! I still have a couple of Audio Ltds in my (mostly) Zaxcom system, and cringe every time I hear the companding in the Audio Ltds

Billy Sarokin

So, since Billy and I agree on so many things, I had to rethink my last statements about sound quality and the Audio, Ltd. I haven't actually heard my Audio, Ltd. transmitters in many years and I may just be remembering how much I love their sound, compared to just about everything else (including the very oldest 1st generation Zaxcoms). Since using the Zaxcoms now, I certainly do not miss anything about my old Audio, Ltds. The sound quality with the Zaxcoms is incredible (and the feature set, of course, unprecedented). Maybe Billy and I actually DO agree after all.

i use Micron - 700 and explorer 256 and older 500 series VHF for hop and ifb. i have used audio 2020 2040, Zaxcom and Sennheiser ew - i dont regard the sennheiser as good enough quality for talent but very good for ifb and camera hop. I found the audio ltd mics a bit of a pain to operate even though i think the sound quality is very good especially with the sanken cos 11. I have found the microns to have the best headroom and very good sound quality esp' with dpa 4060 mic's which is what i use ( I keep getting blown away by the off mic pick up with this setup). The Zaxcom sounded good to me but not as good the Micron or the Audio 2040.

Hi

This isn't a suggestion, but rather a question regarding affordable "old technology"

A local guy is selling his Electro 187 RX and TX with 2 tram mics. It's been through some fair share of war fare, so he wants the equavalent of $300 for the lot. I checked it out and it works, but I'm not convinced. That's old technology, tranmits in the VHF bandwidth at a FIXED frequency (can't scan and re adjust). It seems like $300 in the water to me. Has anyone had good experience with these units out there? At most I would use it as a wireless feed to camera (out of the bag style shoots).

For EPK shoots I use 2x EW100 G3 units. their range are very surprising! Lecrto's are the quality standard here in South Africa. One or two guys swear by their Microns...

I have (as a deep backup) a 187 set. I use it for a camera hop for Behind The Scenes shoots. It never interferes with production channels (as long as they are not using the same frequency for voice of god PA wireless). It is very stable. decent battery life.

I did once use it on talent in a near stunt situation for an iso on production. But we were booming the shot as well.

In the US, I think that $300 isnt bad if it has 2 real TRAM mics with it that still work... but that's not a giveaway deal.. more like full retail price...

I don't have nor have tried Zaxcom wireless yet. I love my Fusion recorder, though. I started doing bag gigs with Senn G2's only, then 200 series lectros, and now I am working my way into cart world, and find that I like the Digital Hybrid transmitters to VRfield on my cart.

I don't usually put the G2's on talent, but more often use them as a hop on field gigs, as a hop to RED cameras, and as IFBs.

I do find that as an IFB, they don't have the low volume background hiss I hear on Lectro IFB's however, they somehow don't feel as tough as a Lectro IFB, and they need a stereo to mono adapter for the headphones in that application..

Would be curious to hear Micron or Audio LTD, and expect I will try Zax sometime soon.

" it works, but I'm not convinced. "

they ised to be top of the line, state of the art, and hugely popular; but they are older technology, thus the much lower price. I have been using VHF wireless (fixed frequency) with great success lately, as most users have left VHF...

so if i was looking to buy another wireless, would you say id be good with an older lectro (knowing that its a fixed frequency) over the bang for buck sennheiser wireless systems

" so if i was looking to buy another wireless, "

Shurely you know: "it depends"...(sorry 'bout calling you Shurely! 8) )

Actually, I very well might go for that deal, as it includes 2 x working Trams...

A new Senn Evo is over twice the price, at 1/3 the power and no tram, so add a new Tram, or even an OST, and you still do not have, IMHO as good sounding a wireless, though I do tell all my students that the EVO 100's are the best bang for the buck, and can be greatly improved with addition of a better lav.

" would you say id be good with an older lectro "

you would not be bad with it!

" is fixed vs diversity with the g3s "

I think you are mixing apples and potatoes...

Fixed frequency (crystal) compares to agile frequency selection

and single (antenna) compares to diversity reception schemes.

the Evo G3's are both agile and diversity, but I consider the Lectro 187's to still be great radios

Actually, I very well might go for that deal, as it includes 2 x working Trams...

A new Senn Evo is over twice the price, at 1/3 the power and no tram, so add a new Tram, or even an OST, and you still do not have, IMHO as good sounding a wireless, though I do tell all my students that the EVO 100's are the best bang for the buck, and can be greatly improved with addition of a better lav.

the Evo G3's are both agile and diversity, but I consider the Lectro 187's to still be great radios

It's Surely not sHurely unless you're subliminally try to push Shure audio products. You got that Shirley?

Eric

Thanks for clearing that up for me Senator, the talk of wireless makes my head spin.

Same answer to both questions, Lectrosonics, 411's and SR's

I've been using a mix of both 411's and SRs, and having used them side by side for a while with no noticeable performance issues between them for what I'm doing, probably switching to all SRs in the bag.

See for reasons why. They are a lot lighter!

Cheers,

Rich

• 4 months later...

Advise me please how should I clip the microphone on the dress that does not make a noise?. Do you make life voice nowadays in your films? Sorry for interrupting you. Best regards

Experience and genius mind. Ok sorry.

Medical tapes and foams for me.

In this problem we have no "standards".

I see a lot I responses where a mixer uses an obsolete, prosumer, or otherwise lower performing wireless system for camera hops. I've never understood the logic in doing this other than budget. It makes no sense if sound quality is the priority.

Keep in kind if you use crappy hops then the sound received by the camera is no better than the fidelity of the lowest performing link in the chain - so even if you're using Lectro 411a/Sm for body mics (or equivalent top shelf units) the cheapo camera hops are degrading the downstream sound quality received at camera to their level.

That's why I sucked it up several years ago and sprang for the Zazcom Digital Stereo Link. It was worth every penny. High end sound gear isn't cheap but it has a long shelf life, especially compared to video cameras.

I'm still exclusively Lectro, with 411's in the bag, and 401's for hops when I need 'em -- which is rare, so I haven't pulled the trigger on acquiring anything newer (better) yet... I've vacillated between the Zaxcom and the Lectro Stereo units, but part of why I haven't switched from the 401's is that (as I understand it) they're still better in terms of RF range than the SR's. I know, I know -- how much range do you need when you're usually only a few yards away from the rx's at most?... but I can't help but feel I'm better off with something that does have better range, in case I need it -- and I can use the 401's in a bag just like my 411's if need be. I suppose at some point, I'll get a complaint from a camera op, and be forced to get something smaller than 401's... not wanting to start any kind of huge Lectro vs. Zaxcom debate, but maybe some of you who have used both can chime in? In any case, I'm sure I'll be at least renting some Zaxcom gear in the not-so-distant future.

~tt