High Capacity Bag Power

sdog

{snip}

I am building a little box with a voltage regulator in it so I can send the DR-680 constant voltage. Voltage regulators have a drop out voltage of about 1.5 volts so once my NP-1 hits 13.5 volts, it will quit sending power to the DR-680 if I use a 12 volt voltage regulator.

[snip]

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

There are literally thousands of LDO's (Low Dropout Regulators) on the market that have voltage drops of 50 mV at moderate current levels and 0.3 Volts at higher levels. In fact, it is difficult to find a modern IC regulator that has a 1.5 Volt voltage drop. For series diodes, Schottky diodes have 0.3 Volts of voltage drop. All this to say, you can do much better than 1.5 Volts of loss. You can easily achieve half that even with a series polarity diode. Follow precisely the design guidelines in the data sheets for the modern LDO's as they are less stable (fussier) than the older, high drop, emitter follower designs.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info, Larry. I guess I should have said the voltage regulators that I looked at back then. Even with the 1.5 volt drop, my NP1 ran for about ten hours powering the DR-680, a 442 and a couple of 411's which worked great for me until last April when I bought a 664. Even though a lot of people had reported no issues running the DR-680 at slightly higher than spec voltage levels, I just was not comfortable doing it and my little box served me well and gave me one less thing to worry about. If I ever need another one, I'll make it better.

Thanks for all the info but I found using a lanparte v-mount battery distro works perfectly fine :). Now for the dr-680 users out there one thing that seems to drive me a little crazy is how on earth do you reset the takes? Say the shot goes from 5B_001 to 11A_001, instead of actually the take reseting back to when the scene has changed it will just keep going up to 11A_002

"Now for the dr-680 users out there one thing that seems to drive me a little crazy is how on earth do you reset the takes"

-- You can't reset the file name/counter w/o resetting freakin everything. (System> Initialize) includes, record parameters, limiters, HPF, trim, software mixer,  ect., ect.  A real PITA.. but what do you want for $600. I suggested to Tascam they 'fix' this annoyance in a firmware update but I doubt they will. The user file name characters are also limited to six as I recall.