New Catagory.

Richard Ragon

We all need to know what's going on "in the Biz" for sure, and many have posted pertinent topics that could certainly be called business news, or industry trends and so forth. I'm not sure it needs its own section. The members who have posted things here often have links to other Industry blogs, sites or publications, and that seems to work. Most of these things end up in either "Current News" or sometimes in "Society, Politics and the Planet".

Thanks for the suggestion but the general trend with JWSOUND has been less categorization rather than more, so we may just leave it as it is.

• 3 weeks later...

I really think a business section is a great idea, not a section about the general film/video/media business but a section for OUR business providing sound services to the industry.

A place that the more experienced and established guys can give the newer guys in the business some tips on getting the gig, getting the rate and promoting ourselves.

The business side of what we do is complicated and for people just getting their feet wet or people like me that are only up to our knees need some advice and tips so we don't drown.

I think about this every time I see a post about a lo/no pay job and all the established guys pipe in and say it's not worth it. But really, for the guys running around with a barebones kit and minimal experience, a crappy low paid gig is sometimes worth it.

Right now there is no clear cut place to put a question about a contract or rates or how to deal with a producer trying to rip you off and I think this is where all the experienced guys can help out the newbies best as gear and technical matters can usually be dealt with best by contacting the manufacturer or a dealer :D

These things are available right now and many of these topics actually have been broached and have resulted in much enlightening discussion without the need for Jeff to constantly define new categories.

If there isn't a topic that addresses a specific need or subject, start one in the appropriate section. It's that easy.

May I respectfully suggest that we all enjoy how well the "wheel" works before we keep trying to reinvent it.